The online racing simulator
Quote from Mustafur :Shumacher showed in 06 it was possible to overtake here, maybe he can show us all how it was done =)

I hope you wasn't dissapointed?:
Don't know if anyone else picked up on this but..
Lap 1 in the tunnel when Hulkenburg had his accident Alonso was looking to make a move on Karun and the yellow flag was brought out but Alonso proceeded to make the move, I would say he was barely 1/4 of the way alongside Karun when the yellow flag or as it is, light, was shown, no matter the HRT agreement to allow Alonso through safely and not hinder him on his charge up field surely passing under yellow flags is against the rules no matter the situation (Very slow cars being one of few exceptions).

E:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ixXF340iA
Added video to show Alonso was no where near alongside Karun.
20 second penalty for overtaking under green flags
Quote from http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169829#p169829 :FIA Regs 40.13

If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Why the sad face, it was a cheap move, something he likes to do trhoughout his career..
Well the thing is, there's also:

With the following exceptions, overtaking is forbidden until the cars reach the first safety car line after the safety car has returned to the pits. Overtaking will only be permitted under the following circumstances :
I'm pretty sure he knew very well that what he did was illegal but tried in anyway in hope to get away with it so the penalty isn't too harsh at all.

Sorry, I just don't trust that cheating eejit.
Quote from Agressor :And they need to look into Barrichello throwing his steering wheel onto the road ... which a car ran over shortly after.
Completely NUTS.

To be fair, it landed very close to the car (centimeters from the car) but quickly bounced away to the edge of the track. But his defence claiming to leave the car quickly is horrible, he is very safe while belted in the car, to be located on the track without seat belts is astronomically more dangeorus.
Quote from AMB :Oh look all the Spanish people can't face that Alonso got outdone... oh '' and 'Alonso was told he wasn't allowed to pass so he wasn't expecting it' just stfu Alonso got outclassed by Massa as well so yeah says a lot.

lol.

Who started from the pitlane and ended almost behind his teammate? Massa?... Nope!
-
(Töki (HUN)) DELETED by Töki (HUN)
Brilliant move by Schumacher. And according to my knowledge of the rules, absolutely legal. The rules are clear: for this year onwards, you can race as soon as you pass the pit lane line. On a restart, if the green flags are shown they are allowed to race, even if it is the final lap. The rule where you have to stay in same position only applies if the flags that are shown are yellow.
All drivers realized that the marshals were showing green flags, and all accelerated to line like it was a normal restart in race conditions.
Even on the official timing system, controlled by the race director, it was shown the green flag.
#91 - AMB
Quote from diablo21 :lol.

Who started from the pitlane and ended almost behind his teammate? Massa?... Nope!

My spirits lost and i'm looking for the heaven gates, lost my way in lifeeeeee.....
#92 - wien
Quote from NotAnIllusion :.

And, as Ross Brawn pointed out in the video above, the race did not finish under the safety car. It came in on the last lap, which mean the race was on from the safety car line/pit line until the finish line.

The move was completely within the rules as far as I can work out, so I don't understand shy he got a penalty for it.

EDIT: Unless race control were trying to follow that new rule you cited, but were numpties and notified the teams about the safety car coming in, thus leading the teams to think they could race the last corner.
Quote from wien :It came in on the last lap

Quote from 40.13 :it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap

It did exactly what the rule said
#94 - wien
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It did exactly what the rule said

Sure but, as a team, how can you tell the difference between the safety car coming in "because the race is finishing under safety car" and the safety car just happening to come in on the last lap (in which case they could race to the flag)? If there is no clarification from race control, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

If the intent of the rule is to say that "if there is only one lap left of the race and the safety car is still out, the race will not be restarted (and the safety car will enter the pit on the last lap)", it is very ambiguous.
Quote from wien :If the intent of the rule is to say that "if there is only one lap left of the race and the safety car is still out, the race will not be restarted (and the safety car will enter the pit on the last lap)", it is very ambiguous.

This is how I think the rule is interpreted in practice, but yes, it's ambiguous if that's the case.
Damon's revenge? maybe.

It looks like another f&&ing mess administered by the FIA(il) . One rule saying one thing & the flags saying another. 20 seconds penalty seems a bit harsh considering its effect on the result.
Quote from heson :To be fair, it landed very close to the car (centimeters from the car) but quickly bounced away to the edge of the track. But his defence claiming to leave the car quickly is horrible, he is very safe while belted in the car, to be located on the track without seat belts is astronomically more dangeorus.

I was under the impression that drivers were required to put the steering wheel back in the car after they get out.
So throwing it out ain't gonna make it easier.

But I can see how frustration would have gotten the better of him ...
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens re: Schumacher's penalty. Seems like Mercedes have a strong case to me.
People, rule (40:19 or something) clearly says, IF the Safety Car STARTED the last lap, you can't overtake till the end, period, doesn't matter if safety car got out, strobe lights started flashing, or Madona stepped on the track.. He pitted just because of the new gentleman rule, for drivers to be the ones crossing the chequered flag and not the safety car..
on any other lap, it would have been a legal move. Unfortunately it had to happen on the last lap, which makes it a little bit ambiguous as to the legality of the move. How are the drivers and teams supposed to know the difference between the safety car coming in as specified in the regulations:

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

...and coming in because the mess on the track is cleaned up, and the race can proceed as normal...for 200 yards or so?

I wouldn't penalize Schumacher for this, as it is an ambiguity in the regulations, and a potentially confusing situation for the teams that is completely FIA's fault. In fact, as the teams were notified that the safety car would be coming in, there is a certainly case that the pass should be allowed to stand, as this is normal procedure for a safety car restart. IMO Schumacher should not be given the penalty, but maybe (?) the pass shouldn't be allowed to stand...unfortunately.

Whatever the outcome, FIA needs to clarify their rules to the teams and fans.

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2010 (Monte Carlo)
(283 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG