The online racing simulator
What would you rather drive on a track?
(82 posts, started )
option A
Quote from tristancliffe :The dullness is from that fact that it's flat out everywhere apart from two chicanes. Sure, it's quite interesting turning in at 150mph with the throttle wide open, especially when going around the outside of two people fighting for position, and even more so when the corner is considered one for the brave. But I don't find much fun in pressing a loud pedal - that's one of the reasons I find drag racing and oval racing so boring.

Anyway, yes, we do race at Croft. I'll be winning there on the 25th and 26th September.

Onboard race video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSg3f7-K1RI

Edit: There are different classes. I think four of the cars have bike engines (1000cc or less, but of the two finishers in that class, one was 3rd overall), and the rest are all 2 litre engined cars. My old Reynard (that I would have still been on pole with) was in the race. I'm just better than most (all?) of the people in my racing club now!!

What happened to your website and forum write ups?
I don't mean to steal your thread Jakg, but I think you'll know by now which to choose.

I still update my website (although I haven't finished writing the report from Thruxton yet). No longer write forum reports as I didn't think that many people were interested. I only mentioned it in this thread as it's about Thruxton.
#29 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't mean to steal your thread Jakg, but I think you'll know by now which to choose.

No problem, I just watched your quite impressive video and I think its now clear that next time you shouldn't try to show off quite so hard at the lights...
I'd just save up and rent a caterham for half a day from bookatrack, it was about £250. They have instructors there too and you can drive as fast as you want
#31 - Jakg
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I'd just save up and rent a caterham for half a day from bookatrack, it was about £250. They have instructors there too and you can drive as fast as you want

I have vouchers for Thruxton, and Thruxton only. Would do Caterhams... if I could.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I'd just save up and rent a caterham for half a day from bookatrack, it was about £250. They have instructors there too and you can drive as fast as you want

Plus the price of the trackday, all in, its over £500
Ah, didn't know the trackday price was included, tad expensive then...
Quote from Jakg :No problem, I just watched your quite impressive video and I think its now clear that next time you shouldn't try to show off quite so hard at the lights...

Point taken. Going to increase the launch control RPM for the next race so that I get wheelspin rather than a stall... Oh well!
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm just better than most (all?) of the people in my racing club now!!

except at using the clutch

didnt you stall on the grid at rockingham too
Quote from tristancliffe :
Onboard race video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSg3f7-K1RI

Edit: There are different classes. I think four of the cars have bike engines (1000cc or less, but of the two finishers in that class, one was 3rd overall), and the rest are all 2 litre engined cars. My old Reynard (that I would have still been on pole with) was in the race. I'm just better than most (all?) of the people in my racing club now!!

How come you were allowed with your car there?

great race from Mallory
Quote from Shotglass :except at using the clutch

didnt you stall on the grid at rockingham too

Snetterton actually! I drove from the back of that race to win too. I'm thinking of stalling every race!
Are they all simply scared of the fast corners? Looks like you pass nearly everybody on the outside, surely they're not going anything like as fast as their cars would allow.
Cayman, no doubt. It's not a hard decision...
I'd probably go for the Cayman myself. I know that they're apparently not as interesting to drive as the Carrera, but it'd be a great choice to thrash the crap out of for a couple of laps.

The MX5 would be my second choice because of the perfect weight distribution, but unlike the others it's one that you could easily buy in the not-too-distant future.

I understand the Mazda 3 MPS is a brilliant car too, but being FWD it's more of a quicker version of what most of us already have than a totally new experience.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Are they all simply scared of the fast corners? Looks like you pass nearly everybody on the outside, surely they're not going anything like as fast as their cars would allow.

I guess so. Most drivers, even several of which I consider to be very talented, were lifting or braking for most of those corners, whilst I had so much grid I could put the car where I wanted. I was clearly running too much wing!!
#42 - PoVo
B
Just my slightly bias opinion but the FRenault has got my vote, I love the cars(as you can probably tell by my avatar:razz.
No other cars interest me, especially not with the FRenault as an option.
Yeah I know :P
But it's a FRenault nevertheless
Would be awesome if it was a post 2000 chassis, I think they are one of the nicest looking formulas out there.
My local circuit(Croft) do these track events, I might look into it
#46 - Jakg
One more thing to note - FR are RPM limited to 4.5k RPM and these days have a blanket speed restriction of 110 MPH.
Wouldn't put me off
Quote from Jakg :One more thing to note - FR are RPM limited to 4.5k RPM and these days have a blanket speed restriction of 110 MPH.

Well that just plan sucks
Quote from tristancliffe :I guess so. Most drivers, even several of which I consider to be very talented, were lifting or braking for most of those corners, whilst I had so much grid I could put the car where I wanted. I was clearly running too much wing!!

Maybe your competitors aren't as sure of their own engineering as you are, or those niggling little doubts in your mind get a lot bigger the faster you go. I suppose you need to be confident that your car works properly before you're willing to floor it through a corner.
4.5k rpm and 110mph? You'll barely have to slow down the slow chicane, and you might as well sleep on the fast stuff...

Yes, a single seater is a magical experience, but at such lame speeds it won't be that interesting. The Cayman might be okay, but it'll also be limited somehow I guess. You're much more likely to get comfortable (and comfortable = quicker = more fun [up to a point]) in the MX-5 for 15 laps.

Could be that Kev. I don't know. I don't even think about what might happen if something failed at 150mph. This year I do have a lot more confidence in the car and in my ability to tame it - that might come across as arrogance, but I like to think it's a self-belief that I've been missing thus far.

What would you rather drive on a track?
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG