The online racing simulator
LFS Forum Artists
(120 posts, started )
As impressive as photo-realistic renders are, I've personally only stuck to more stylized techniques; I find them to have more of a wow-factor for me. Plus they're quicker, and I'm a lazy sack of crap.
yeah. as photorealism is really about practicing and mastering the technique, its still only copying though D:
stylizing is kewl since you add your elements, flavour and handwriting to it.

all rly depends on your aim :P

photorealism (kind of :|) with graphite only, or stylized biro sketches, choose yours (bad example, yet still a selfplug)
I need to get back to doing personal stuff apart from uni stuff :|
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs3 ... ini_Cooper_by_FuseEST.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs5 ... e/sketch02_by_FuseEST.jpg
Not necessarily copying; I've seen guys that do it with self-made designs or angles and scenery. It's all down to light theory, really, and accurate execution of perspective. Baffles me, most of the time.

One of my profs does Formula One paintings that are all scratch-made. He uses references to get all the details right, but doesn't copy the angles of any of his sources. He once had someone comment on one of his paintings "Wow, what a nice photograph!" which irked him quite a bit; he had spent all those dozens of hours on his painting when he could have gotten the same result with a photo! Since then he's started stylizing his backgrounds a little so that the piece is obviously a painting, though the cars themselves are still damn near photo realistic.
hah, nice one. would love to see examples.
yeah i didnt really include the option of doing photorealistic stuff from scratch since its damn hard and as you said, not "that", when you make it 100% authentic.
Then again stylizing is cool, but considered as the easy way to get good looking stuff (which a lot of the times gives horrid results o_O)
Thomson Studio is his site. You can tell by the style which pieces are newer; he's gone a little more graphical as of late with his paintings than his earlier works. I like his newer style. I still wish he'd do more late 60s stuff, though. haha
omg nom! excellent stuff \o/
How the fuzzling hell do you guys do that.

here is one i did in about 25 mins. Help please.
Attached images
Image1.JPG
Quote from jrd.racer :How the fuzzling hell do you guys do that.

it has some ugly lines in it, try to get straighter lines, let your hand more freely "fly" over the paper. And remember do not concentrate on different parts too much, in order to complete a picture you need to see details and whole at the same time.
for me it takes usually 4-6 hours to finish something, it can't be exactely learned, it's just is in you or not, it can be improved yes, but not mastered from bottom.
Quote from jrd.racer :How the fuzzling hell do you guys do that.

Aside from perspective errors, the biggest piece of advice I can give is this: Don't draw what you think you see, draw what you do see. For instance, you have a line going all the way down the vehicle, nearly from the headlights. This line does not exist, because this is a rounded area. Try to draw shapes of colour, not shapes of geometry.

That probably doesn't make sense, but I'm far, far too tired to elaborate at this point :P

Here's a sketch I did a couple months ago in class. Far from perfect, but I'm not the most talented with a drawing utensil. Also attached a real quickie Ferrari concept.
Attached images
Kakti2.jpg
Fer3.jpg
loving the angle and perspective of the first one
second one... kudos, front views are a bitch to draw :P
Quote from Fuse5 :loving the angle and perspective of the first one
second one... kudos, front views are a bitch to draw :P

They're easier when you distort the perspective so much that it's 100% false but get away with it because it's stylized. Even still, I totally wanked up the front on that one anyways.
Quote from MAGGOT :...Far from perfect, but I'm not the most talented with a drawing utensil. Also attached a real quickie Ferrari concept.

Those lines are too rechnical imo, you should release yourself even more and draw dynamic and fast lines. That's what my teachers have been telling me the whole 1st year
Yea, I have far too technical a style; something I've been trying to fix. I have gotten a lot looser over the last couple years, but still not loose enough. My biggest problem is that I just simply don't sketch enough. I need to force myself to draw more often.
Thanx guys. I may have a go at something simpler. any suggestions on what i could try?
Step 1: Draw dynamic straight lines. That means, fill hundred of papers just doing straight lines by hand. The lines should be what we call 0-1-0, that means, they start with very very low pressure, then become darker and darker until the middle point of the line, which is the darkest part of it, and then fade again until it disappears.

Step 2: Draw hundred of papers with geometric forms in perspective, especially cubes, following the same 0-1-0 tecnique in all the lines you draw. Draw construcction lines soft and colour the three different faces of the cube using lines.

That was my begining in transportatio design

PD: Use a nice and sharpened pencil
Thanx nitrous.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :
And this dude is my next project. Cookies for those who know who he is

Sidney George Wilson from slipknot
-
That was Sid? When did he ditch the gas mask?
-
Am I weird when I find drawing of graphic card interesting?
Quote from brandons48 :He hasn't had a gas mask since Vol:3, in Vol:3 It was a skull, then for All Hope Is Gone he had the mask up there ^

I seem to recall his skull being vaguely reminiscent of a gas mask though... Where have I been? haha
-
-
just made this
i dont usually draw much, only when im really really bored
i'd be amazed/flattered if someone actually recognizes who it is

tip: he's supposed to have a long cigarette in his mouth
pic taken with phone cam so crappy quality

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6CTk26DT64 wow

EDIT2:
im good at copying shit i find online
if i draw anything from the top of my head, everything is out of proportion
so im not rly an artist lol

Quote from brandons48 :Bump!!

That's some nice work there, would love to see the final product.

Here's something i've started today (it's still on early stage. Base shadows atm only and need to redo the eyes tomorrow. Requested pic/filling an order ):
-
Quote from Fastwalker :just made this
i dont usually draw much, only when im really really bored
i'd be amazed/flattered if someone actually recognizes who it is

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Good old Hunter. :up:

LFS Forum Artists
(120 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG