The online racing simulator
Quote from obsolum :I have to agree on that. The first time I tried the 1.1 beta I had a hard time getting the wheel properly set up. I have no clue why it asks the user to turn the wheel 90°, that's retarded IMO. Other than that I can't really think of any other complaints I had. Haven't tried the RC, though.

Pity I don't like openwheelers more.

As far as i remeber from RSC, kunos got the calibration idea from iRacing. I don't like it too. I think it's not necessary, manually choosing rotation is perfectly fine for me.
Yeah, the calibration in iRacing is a pain in the ass as well.
Quote from Mattesa :

In terms of sliding around I'm still finding that to recover from a slide of any real significance you need to input a lot of throttle, and the car stays in 'state=oversteer' longer than expected if you don't.

This is correct, because this way you are transfering load to the rear tyres, so you are having more grip. If you apply too much power (in lower gears or powerful cars) then the car will spin because of throttle oversteer.
Quote from Pier nodoyuna :This is correct, because this way you are transfering load to the rear tyres, so you are having more grip. If you apply too much power (in lower gears or powerful cars) then the car will spin because of throttle oversteer.

Conceptually yes its sound, but the timing and thought process is different than what my intuitions says.

So compare to LFS: when detect spin...

- In LFS: lightly reduce throttle and modulate

- In NKP: add more throttle and modulate

Almost a FWD way of doing it.
Personally I never had a trouble with the wizard neither in iRacing nor nKp. I think it's handy to make the bulk of the adjustments, so only small touches are needed afterwards.

But it's not like the wizard is the only way to get things done: just switch to the advanced tab
Quote from Mattesa :Conceptually yes its sound, but the timing and thought process is different than what my intuitions says.

AFAICT the way you control oversteer depends on the specifics of the car. In a FR road car I wouldn't expect pumping the throttle to save the day, but in some types of racing cars it works: e.g. I drive the Spec Racer Ford in iRacing basically the same way.

Quote from Mattesa :Almost a FWD way of doing it.

Although in FWD cars it works because you're massively reducing the grip on the front rather than restoring it on the rear by shifting load.
Quote from NightShift :Although in FWD cars it works because you're massively reducing the grip on the front rather than restoring it on the rear by shifting load.

id say its more a matter of adding a counter moment to the slide so the engine more or less pulls the car out of the slide
as opposed to slowing the front wheels down which would have the opposite effect and add even more moment to the slide
The idea of pulling the car out of the slide is very intuitive especially if you think of small angles, but take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

Flooring the throttle actually keeps the front wheels from losing too much speed (which would result in a spin as you point out), the fronts couldn't pull it straight since the car is basically sideways and the tyres, regardless of the countersteer are even not pointing in the direction of movement.
Quote from Whitmore :In these days of LCD monitors, I set my game resolution to the monitor's native resolution when I first install the game, and then I never touch it again. It's pretty simple

I have three main ways to race, LFS supports this extremely well.

1) Full Screen, 1 monitor: 1680x1050
2) Windowed, 1 monitor: about 3/4 of my monitor. 1200x???
3) Full Screen, 3 monitors; 5040x1050

I tend to switch between them depending on my needs at that moment. If I am casually lapping for no need but relief, I will go on 1 monitor, to allow chatting to happen. I can decide immediately if a response can wait. If I am watching replays, or the LFS Ai in the background, which I do more often than you'd think; then I go for the windowed mode. If I am actually racing, hotlapping or in something that counts I jump to full screen 3 monitors to eliminate distractions, but more importantly; increase immersion. Which is likely the most important aspect of escape for me.

That said it took me ages to find the 1680x1050 resolution setting in NetKar Pro. Typically the list is sorted with the larger resolutions on the bottom, but this wasn't the case. 1200x??? was at the bottom - which was quite annoying (until I finally found my native resolution). Since I am just testing NetKar at the moment I can handle it on a single screen. But I wouldn't buy it without proper support for three monitors, and I won't be buying it until physics are greatly improved...

The oversteer comment made by Mattesa above is completely how I feel. i've read, and understand the physics of weight transfer, so Pier nodoyuna has some truth to what he is saying, however, slamming the throttle on and then modulating should not help when oversteering. As Mattesa pointed out, carefully keeping the throttle on will move the weight to the rear and help reduce the spin. (In RWD car, and oversteer from balance issues; like hitting the brakes too hard, releasing the throttle too quickly).

I don't need to publicly complain about the simulation. It has some strong points, which in my opinion don't count for much. The great thing is it is still in development so things will constantly be getting better.
Quote from blackbird04217 :The great thing is it is still in development so things will constantly be getting better.

Just like LFS!
Quote from blackbird04217 :
The oversteer comment made by Mattesa above is completely how I feel. i've read, and understand the physics of weight transfer, so Pier nodoyuna has some truth to what he is saying, however, slamming the throttle on and then modulating should not help when oversteering. As Mattesa pointed out, carefully keeping the throttle on will move the weight to the rear and help reduce the spin. (In RWD car, and oversteer from balance issues; like hitting the brakes too hard, releasing the throttle too quickly).

I guess it also depends a lot on the car. For example, a real Spec Racer Ford behaves this way: I you are near to have a spin slam on the throthle very heavy and you save it (this was said by a real driver and instructor in iracing forums), but maybe in other similar cars this doesnot work. I dont know how behaves the real F1600 .
Quote from Mattesa :...

This effect has more to do with the stiffness for the suspension than the physics engine of each game. In LFS softening the rear springs and dampers will allow throttle input to stabilize the rear similarly to NKP.

I don't mean to turn this into a setups thread, but if the rear suspension is stiff, the rear end will not squat enough to supply more grip to the rear tires. This is caused by the linear gain of the spring constant over the distance of travel.
Quote from NightShift :The idea of pulling the car out of the slide is very intuitive especially if you think of small angles, but take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

Flooring the throttle actually keeps the front wheels from losing too much speed (which would result in a spin as you point out), the fronts couldn't pull it straight since the car is basically sideways and the tyres, regardless of the countersteer are even not pointing in the direction of movement.

Something is wrong with physics in that BTCC game
And the colours look utterly oversaturated.....not to mention the crappy textures
Quote from legoflamb :I don't mean to turn this into a setups thread, but if the rear suspension is stiff, the rear end will not squat enough to supply more grip to the rear tires. This is caused by the linear gain of the spring constant over the distance of travel.

What makes you think the squat has anything to do with grip on the rear tyres? The only difference that helps squat vs. no squat would be a tiny CoG change and possibly some negative camber from the suspension compression, but the main factor - the weight - is just as much over the rear tyres, soft suspension or not.

I'd say if anything a stiff rear is causing the car to respond less well to throttle stabilization because it acts as anti-roll, preventing the front wheels to be lifted from the ground.
Quote from NightShift :the fronts couldn't pull it straight since the car is basically sideways and the tyres, regardless of the countersteer are even not pointing in the direction of movement.

doesnt matter when you countersteer and floor it in an fwd you will always get a moment counteracting the spin rgardless of how sideways you are
Quote from AndroidXP :What makes you think the squat has anything to do with grip on the rear tyres? The only difference that helps squat vs. no squat would be a tiny CoG change and possibly some negative camber from the suspension compression, but the main factor - the weight - is just as much over the rear tyres, soft suspension or not.

I'd say if anything a stiff rear is causing the car to respond less well to throttle stabilization because it acts as anti-roll, preventing the front wheels to be lifted from the ground.

I never said that the CoG change is what gives the rear end more grip. I understand maximum grip cannot be exceeded, and I had assumed that should have been understood. When I said more grip in the rear, I meant more grip than the front. Squat while there are lateral g's on the chassis will lift the front tire more as you have said.
Quote from NightShift :AFAICT the way you control oversteer depends on the specifics of the car. In a FR road car I wouldn't expect pumping the throttle to save the day, but in some types of racing cars it works: e.g. I drive the Spec Racer Ford in iRacing basically the same way.

I'm starting get used to it the more I drive it TBH.

Backing out of the throttle still works, it's just that keeping your foot in it works better. If it's the nature of the car, or the setup, that's fine I can live with that. Just don't let it be a quirk in the physics engine!

The appreciation for NKP is starting to come back strong. The FFB is fantastic and the way the cars scrabble for grip feels very nuanced (helped by the great FFB).
On a sidenote it seems the official english board is getting a bit more lively. Kunos has been posting more replies too. He basically didn't say anything but this the teaser in case you've missed it:

Quote from Kunos :
Quote :Well if it wasn't for BRD the content wouldn't even exist in the first place, and you can also speculate that there currently might not even be an nKPro without them (judging by some of Kunos' posts on the old RSC forums).

Very true, very true.
However, we haven't been involved with BRD since October 2008 and their (solid) work is based on a 1.0.3 branch.

I don't think it's worth to talk about the future now, it's pretty much a moving target for us.. and the deadlines are firing at alarming rate here in KS. We've something pretty exciting coming up in the next 2 months.

And, more Mugello screenshots:

http://www.drivingitalia.net/f ... iew=findpost&p=594488
Quote from Shotglass :doesnt matter when you countersteer and floor it in an fwd you will always get a moment counteracting the spin rgardless of how sideways you are

Didn't doubt for a moment there's a resulting countermoment (the car has to rotate back), your point as far as I understood it is that you didn't think the reduction of grip on the front can actually be regarded as the prime cause behind the countermoment.

And I'm merely replying that the act of breaking traction on the front alone is enough to rotate back the car into composure and up to a point you don't even need to apply countersteer.

OTOH I'm well aware you can catch a spin in a FWD just the same way you would do with a RWD, I've done that myself IRL.

In nKp however I find it easier to just floor the pedal: while in Final all the cars are much more controllable in a spin, the 500 can turn round pretty fast if you give her a chance.
Does netkar support driver animations outside of the replay system?
What is that sticky wall problem like it sucks you in like they did sometimes in GT1 and 2?
Finally had a bash at 1.1.

OMG

Terrorizing F2000 on Aviano short has never been so much fun .
That or I have forgotten how much fun sims are .

Now I need a way to import LX6 somehow :evilwizard:

Quote from Chrisuu01 :What is that sticky wall problem like it sucks you in like they did sometimes in GT1 and 2?

Yup, Kunos changed the wall physics and it's caused a problem with addon tracks. Still waiting for an answer on how to solve it.. It's a pain in the butt. ( not that you should be touching the walls anyway )

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG