The online racing simulator

Poll : Who wants avatars on the forum and who wants images in signatures

Closed since :
No images in signatures please, they really add little and take a lot of time to load
I want avatars, they add character to the forum
No avatars for me thanks , waste of bandwidth
I want images to be allowed in my signature, within a defined maximum size
The point is, some people (like me) want to view signatures, but without images. Images totally destroy the forum flow while three or four lines of text don't.
Quote from Chris_Kerry :How about you turn off signatures in your options, works for me.

Then I can't see the ones that are small and informative.illepall
Id like both Avatars and Sigs, but if i had to choose one it would be Avatars
avatars back! they make people recognizing easier and add character to forum.. sig pics, i don't care.. i'll disable them anyway.
Quote from frokki :avatars back! they make people recognizing easier

This is my problem:
Yes they do make user-recognition easier, but that's also a problem imo. With avatars, you see who wrote a post before you read the post. Without avatars it's the other way around (you're reading a story and only check who wrote something if you wanna know who wrote something).
The latter results in less prejudice imo - at least I notice that I read threads more objective than before, when there were avatars.

This is my main argument for not having re-enabled them yet.

Quote from frokki :and add character to forum..

Yes, they do, although it's debatable what kind of character is being added. It can be a professional character (avatars using real images of faces or teams avatars etc) or it can add useless character like when everyone's taking pictures of their tongue and uses that as avatar.

---

The resource subject isn't really relevant anymore (unless there'll be _loads_ of readers again) - the system's been optimised heavily and avatars/images are even kept in memory. It's the above two reasons why i haven't re-enabled them yet. Although i'm in a constant limbo on whether they should be turned back on or not.
How about having them enabled only on fridays or weekends
We'll promise not to have a silly face avatar month

Though we might do something else...
Well, tbh they've been gone that long that I'm used to it now. So, if they never come back I won't be too fussed. I think you have a point Victor, it makes you concentrate on the content of posts a bit more...

And I really don't want to see a repeat of silly face avatar month. That was the stuff of nightmares :zombie:
Quote from Blackout :How about having them enabled only on fridays or weekends

like a casual friday ?

why dont we all just vote with our feet and go back to rsc until we get out beloved avas back ? ... oh right the forum here is a lot faster
yeah rsc is soooo painfully slow, i like the avatars i think it gives a lil touch to the users profile, but its not that bad as it is and it surely takes some load of the host.
Well Victor, in this poll we see that 73% of the voters do indeed want avatars back, so I guess the stance of the users here is clear.

Tbh, this is the first time that I hear about a prejudice problem caused by avatars.
!can

Quote from Victor :Yes, they do, although it's debatable what kind of character is being added. It can be a professional character (avatars using real images of faces or teams avatars etc) or it can add useless character like when everyone's taking pictures of their tongue and uses that as avatar.

Aww, the Dutch obviously have no sense of humour.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Matrixi, a lot of people are still on dial up. It would take approx 10 mins to download 50 sigs in your example.

And it would take you just some seconds to turn the option off. Don't see the problem.

:bump:
I fully agree
#92 - MR_B
Quote from cannonfodder :No to both avatars and sigs. All they do is clutter the view and eat resources. The way it is now is very neat and easy to read. Plus I don't want this place becoming as slow as rscnet again.

But it just becomes a blur, it's just one dodgy name after another writing a long reply which no one wants to read...

I like a bit of colour! C'mon bring 'em back. If it takes up too much room on your pc, empty your temps! Clear your history...
If you're nets too slow.... Broadband's a bargain these days! My broadband only cost me an extra quid, then they upgraded it to 2meg for free

If you are on dial up, i'm sure you can turn it off?

Just dont allow image sigs......they just annoy me.
hmm
Sweet
w00t!!!!
Wahey!
It doesn't accept PNG's
Woohooo!
YAY!

(it won't allow all caps posts)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG