The online racing simulator
Recommended reading
(7 posts, started )
Recommended reading
There have been a few threads lately where newbies have asked why they are slow, how they can get faster, etc. I recently read a book which I thought would be a good starting point for anyone who's interested in going racing (either real or virtual). The book is titled Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques by Ross Bentley. The author has raced everything from Formula Ford to CART and his subject matter comes across clearly. The book covers things like cornering technique, car dynamics, traction circle and slip angle, how to pass and contend with traffic, etc. It's not the end-all, be-all of racing books, but I think it was a worthwhile read and definitely a good jumping off point for anyone who's reasonably new to sim racing and looking to better themselves. And, it's a quick read (just over 150 pages) so you can burn through it faster than a lap at Aston. There are four other books in the series, but I have not read the others so I won't comment on them here.

Anyway, I just thought someone might find this useful. It's available on Amazon for about $20, though I was able to find a copy at my local library.
read it too, very good introduction to the topic for complete newbies like me.

Recommended!
#3 - cdub
Another good driving guide is the user manual for Gran Turismo 1 (remember the original Playstation?).

It's a fun read, obviously overkill for the original game, and details weight transfer and the grip circle.
i can recommend the original GPL Manual by Steven Smith.
edit: sry, i meant "4 Wheel Drift". Also available for download under the link below.

download
The GPL manual and strategy guide were very good, I spent a long long time reading those. another one I thought was good was, if I recall, called "Concepts of Performance Driving" by Jackie Stewart, but that one covered a lot more of the off track aspects of being a racing driver, P.R. and such. However, I found it very entertaining.
I recommend the best-sellers "Blue Flags for Dummies" and "T1 for Dummies".

You can find them at amazon.com
Another good book is Going Faster: Mastering the Art of Race Driving : The Skip Barber Racing School, here's the page on Amazon. Very detailed yet approachable discussion of cornering, braking, shifting & driving strategies.

Recommended reading
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG