The online racing simulator
Calling all cyclists....
(23 posts, started )
Calling all cyclists....
Have any cyclists out there ever considered riding up Mont Ventoux in France? I've been asked to partake in a challenge riding up this beast not once, but three times in one day......

See here for details http://www.clubcinglesventoux. ... 86e5583b4382a4ba18d54d237

There arent many people in the world that have achieved this.
Is there anyone out there thats had a go (even once)!

I'm looking forward to the challenge, its gonna be tough!!!!
Quote from mrfell :Have any cyclists out there ever considered riding up Mont Ventoux in France? I've been asked to partake in a challenge riding up this beast not once, but three times in one day......

See here for details http://www.clubcinglesventoux. ... 86e5583b4382a4ba18d54d237

D'oh the website has just crashed
I was on the Ventoux last year actually. With my normal bike. Downhill was more fun.
Quote from Wikipedia : * South from Bédoin: 1617 m over 21,8 km. This is the most famous and difficult ascent. The road to the summit has an average gradient of 7.43%. Until Saint-Estève, the climb is easy: 3.9% over 5,8 km, but the 16 remaining kilometres have an average gradient of 8.9%. The last kilometres may have strong, violent winds. The ride takes 1h30m-2h30m for trained amateur riders. Professional riders take 1h-1h15 min. The fastest time so far recorded has been that of Iban Mayo in the individual climbing time trial of the 2004 Dauphiné Libéré: 55' 51". The time was measured from Bédoin for the first time in the 1958 Tour de France, in which Charly Gaul was the fastest at 1h 2' 9".

* North-west from Malaucène: 1570 m over 21,5 km. About equal in difficulty as the Bédoin ascent, better sheltered against the wind.

* East from Sault: 1210 m over 26 km. The easiest route. After Chalet Reynard (where the "lunar landscape" of the summit starts), the climb is the same as the Bédoin ascent. Average gradient of 4.4%.

Which one will you be doing?
I could do it. Once. Probably take me 3 hours, though. I've always hated hills.
#6 - 5tag
20 kilometers going uphill must be quite depressing... have fun!
Actually going 20km up hill is quite rewarding Infact i love the hills and mountians infact i did a mountain ride down here last year http://www.cyclingprofiles.com ... elClimbs/MC_MVille-LM.htm
for the profile, they renamed it this year to Lake Moutain Ventoux....why they did that ill never know but its not the same as Ventoux but for most Aussies they can only ride flat and as soon as the road turns skyward they fall behind.
Ill just wait until I'm a pro and ill go climb it.
Quote from Bose321 :I was on the Ventoux last year actually. With my normal bike. Downhill was more fun.

Surely something quite bad must have happened to your brakes
Yeah, I got those drum brakes, not sure if they're called like that, but they smelled bad.
Quote from hrtburnout :Which one will you be doing?

The Cingles route is to climb the mountain 3 times.
We intend starting from Bedoin climbing up to the top then down to Malaucène, back up to the top and down to Sault, back up again and finally down to the start in Bedoin. Easy eh? It looks like 4443 m of climbing over 68 km.

So in answer to your question.......all that you mentioned. LOL
easypeasy
Quote from mrfell :Little bump.
Just over two weeks till we try this challenge. Spent quite a bit of time on a VR Turbo trainer which mimics these climbs. I've got one of these:-http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/i-magic & http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/mont-ventoux-2008 Getting plenty of road miles in too. Just want to get on with it now.......

Ha. I have two Tacx Fortius'.

Just a shame neither work.

Anyways, good luck with all your fannying around, I'm quite jealous of you actually. However I'll be away on a school cycling trip round the north of Scotland at the same time as you for two weeks so its not all bad.
Quote from piggy501 :Ha. I have two Tacx Fortius'.

Just a shame neither work.

Anyways, good luck with all your fannying around, I'm quite jealous of you actually. However I'll be away on a school cycling trip round the north of Scotland at the same time as you for two weeks so its not all bad.

Hmph, I would have liked the fortius, but kept being outbid on ebay. There was no way I could justify a brand new one.....
ill be waiting for you at the finish in my underware and honking airhorn! then ill jump at you in happiness.
I Can just about make it to my end of the road. I attempted that when i was 10 and i ended up hitting a tree, Splitting my chin open.
My ass doing 20km
I'm looking at getting a road bike. Could you experienced cyclist types point me in the right direction, choosing a bike.

Possible Bikes

Barracuda Tifosi, mavic wheels, sora group set

Giant SCR4, Alex rims, Shimano 2200 group set

which one should i go for? any recommendations.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :sora > 2200
...both are at the bottom of the shimano range though, so I assume you're on a tight budget. (250-400GBP?)
At that kinda budget I'd suggest looking around for a used bicycle. You should easily get a 2-3year old bike with a 105/Ultegra group set for that kinda money that still runs like its new.

He is correct i ride a 2001 Trek with 105 and it still runs like a dream I even race it and beat people on newer carbon bikes and aero wheels. Buy a used one you'll be incredibility impressed i think.
Quote from mrfell :Have any cyclists out there ever considered riding up Mont Ventoux in France? I've been asked to partake in a challenge riding up this beast not once, but three times in one day......

i'd do it if i can get cover for work ( impossible getting decent staff, even during a recession )

otherwise im well up for compelete madness like this !
Quote from speedway :sora > 2200
...both are at the bottom of the shimano range though, so I assume you're on a tight budget. (250-400GBP?)
At that kinda budget I'd suggest looking around for a used bicycle. You should easily get a 2-3year old bike with a 105/Ultegra group set for that kinda money that still runs like its new.

This ^

Although...........bargain ahoy......http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Road ... _Compact_2010/5360045297/

Not sure how tall you are....

As Astro says, the bike is a fairly small part, most bikes of around the £500 price point will all perform well.

In my last 10mile TT, I beat "proper" full on TT bikes dripping in carbon worth more than my car on my entry level racer, and I don't even have aero bars.....yet.

Likewise, on a 77 mile sportive, I came 11th out of 110 people, so the engine (you) has much more to do with it than the machine.

At my last TT, I was talking to a guy, he told me he spent £4K, and got a 30sec improvement on a 10mile TT time, is 30secs worth £4K?
Thanks for the advice guys, i was looking for something to do a few liesure rides on. maybe trying a competition if i get motivated enough to get bike fit.

Definately looking at used stuff. only issue is, im taller than average so every time i see one i like its usualy the wrong size. sods law.

Calling all cyclists....
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG