The online racing simulator
#1 - t1ger
Things you did like and things you didn't like about last season
As the title suggests, let us know all the things you did like and all the things you didn't like about last season.

This is not guranteed to keep a feature or make us drop a feature, but we are intersted to know to help us make the best decisions for the league.

Also, try to make it about other things than just the car/track combos. Think about things like qualifying, rules, website, race format, league format etc.

Thank you
OLFSL Staff
well done for starting a thread Tim.
Well personally (not looking from a staff perspective) I found the season a bit too long with the summer break not helping.
I liked the online Quali system but felt it lacked a little bit of excitement; I think I originally pictured a few people in the server at the same time but generally it was empty when I was qualing - however that isn't a fault of the system.
Another thing I found; and maybe this is a perception thing; but unlike previous seasons, every race felt like it had about 10 new racers in the lower pools. This lack of cosistancy made the racing actually feel less important as I wasn't really racing with anyone as far as the overall league points system went. The pool one racers generally have an advantage in this aspect because they are genuinely fighting for the top 20 places in the table - everything under that seems a bit pointless to me now (forgive the pun).
For me I would like a shorter more exciting league with more emhpasis on getting good results rather than just getting to the end. Perhaps only people who start the season from the first race actually scoring points. We could still let people come in mid season but they could always score Zero.
Just my thoughts which do not represent the OLFSL staff. edit - for some reason my line breaks aren't working - sorry
#3 - Psiho
Hi
to put it short

I liked the qualy system
I didn't like the race time cause I was usually working at race time

maybe the points system should change a bit to favor top 3 and especially the winner also point difference between the pools should be higher

I generally like the race system
#4 - HVS5b
Its a great concept, but just too many weekends for me to be around on.

Only thing I'd change would be the scheduling
Hi

For me this league is great, this means I don´t need major changes. Only one thing is not optimal and this is the when the season starts and ends. In last year the season started at 17th of May and this was much too late, also the end was much too late (20th of December). Why we don´t start like other real race seasons ? from March to Nov ?

Best Regards
Thunder
thanks for the comments so far.
I'd like the skill driving challenge to return. In its simple form, like the one in season 2006.

One other thing, not concerning planning the next season. After races there is a huge ammount of accusations and some very rude comments.
While it is quite understandable after running on adrenaline for an hour, it does paint a bad picture for everybody visiting the site.
Just sleep over it, the next most of it will be forgotten.
I agree the chatterbox can become a very heated battleground; I'm guilty of this myself on occassion. For many reasons LFS can bring out the good and bad aggression in people; after a tough race the chatterbox tends to be the place people tend to vent out their rage. I don't mind this as long as things don't become obscene. Luckily this has rarely happened. As for the skill event; I'm sure we could manage one sometime. Last year we just didn't manage to get the time to plan one.
Well

in my eyes...

theres nothing to to gripe(?) about...

maybe itll be funny to drive a track like blackwood with UF1 and a handmade chicane on the back straight or something like this

Hi, I haven't participated in any season so far, but I'm very interested in this league for my team. By taking a look at the site I see that you hold races on different times, I guess to allow multiple pools on the same day. Have you thought about the possibility of using additional servers so the time frame can be reduced? Teams with private servers might be willing to lend their servers for league races on sundays so you can run several pools simultaneosly on different servers.

Regarding the scoring system, I'm with Psiho, point difference between pools should be higher and at least top3 in each pool should get a higher reward in points.

Also, I agree on what has been said about the schedule. Dragging the season to the second half of December is a bit too much.

If the provisional info on the new season is good I think I can have at least 10 teammates to participate regularly
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Have you thought about the possibility of using additional servers so the time frame can be reduced? Teams with private servers might be willing to lend their servers for league races on sundays so you can run several pools simultaneosly on different servers.

Hi MaKaKaZo,

Firstly, welcome to you and your team to our league. The reason for the timings is more a host availability issue than a server issue - we have four separate servers, all capable of 47 slots (however, due to potential lag issues we never use more than 20-25 slots per pool).

Thanks to everyone for their comments so far.

Tim
I don't understand what you mean by host availability issue, can you explain?

I'm vey interested in racing hours. We are a big team and we have drivers with different levels, but for most of us anything before 20:00 UTC on a sunday is very soon to race, so I don't think that our people who would qualify to the pools that take place on early hours could participate. Can you explain how is usually time distributed in a normal race?

It's a shame you don't do full grids. In my opinion that was the best addition for league racing, but I guess that with people from very different countries lag issues may appear with many drivers connected.

(Reply via PM if you think this is off-topic).
We have four staff members; each with differing amounts of time to host (watch and monitor) a race on a Sunday evening. That and the potential lag issue Tim mentioned generally keeps out current schedule recurring.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :I don't understand what you mean by host availability issue, can you explain?

See reply from Russ.

Quote from MaKaKaZo :I'm vey interested in racing hours. We are a big team and we have drivers with different levels, but for most of us anything before 20:00 UTC on a sunday is very soon to race, so I don't think that our people who would qualify to the pools that take place on early hours could participate. Can you explain how is usually time distributed in a normal race?

See "The Grid" page on the site - Expand "Race Weekend", then click "The Grid" - you will see all the races from last season and the times they started. Be quick though, because when the new season comes, these will all vanish.

Quote from MaKaKaZo :It's a shame you don't do full grids. In my opinion that was the best addition for league racing, but I guess that with people from very different countries lag issues may appear with many drivers connected.

(Reply via PM if you think this is off-topic).

That is exactly the reason.

Tim
Hello,

1. The selection about which drivers are selected to have their points count for the team result should be visible from Sunday Morning to all Users, so that other teams should know what they have to expect.

2. One good thing about leagues is that you compete against others in the same amount of races and most of the time in the same amount of chances or opportunities. THis makes drivers competitive and also careful. The know that one penalty helps the opponent score more points and makes his effort harder.
In OLFSL most of the times we see bad behavior either with no penalties or with minor penalties or -the worst part- we see people that race only for a couple of races ruin races of regulars. Maybe in top pool this is rare but in that pool we have the other event.
Racers that like a combo (and they know it very good) come and race mostly in pool1 for only one race, sometimes without respect for regular racers that compete for drivers/team championship.
I do not really know a solution about this but maybe someone else has more thoughts to make this better.

Things you did like and things you didn't like about last season
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG