The online racing simulator
G-Force discussion
(115 posts, started )
Quote from z-ro 8 :The real issue is the G-forces upon impact when one of these cars fail.

I thought a remember seeing somewhere Ernie Irvin's crash at Michigan(1994 maybe?) which inevitably ended his racing career, generated over 14 G's of force. Of course it was for milliseconds, but that's as long as it would take take to kill a normal person .....

He ended up with brain and lung injuries. 3 years later in 97 he won that same race at Michigan.

Was his final win actually, pretty cool.
Is it just me, or does that narrator in that video speak just a bit too slowly? I damn near mashed my head into the nearest wall waiting for the next word(s) to come out.
lol, I think that's a cultural thing in US media. Could be for dramatic effect too.

Or they just slow it down for the rednecks.
#54 - 5haz
Remember its a program meant for Joe public, not everyone is a hardcore pseudo-intellectual racing enthusiast know-it-all like most people on this forum.

G forces aren't common sense, the average person dosen't know much about them but that dosen't make them stupid.
Quote from PMD9409 :He ended up with brain and lung injuries. 3 years later in 97 he won that same race at Michigan.

Was his final win actually, pretty cool.

..and that's why Ken's siggy said, "Do what PMD says"......
Quote from 5haz :Remember its a program meant for Joe public, not everyone is a hardcore pseudo-intellectual racing enthusiast know-it-all like most people on this forum.

G forces aren't common sense, the average person dosen't know much about them but that dosen't make them stupid.

Basic Physics is taught in public school, or at least it is where I'm from. Same for Trig.

Anyone who has ever driven a car, been on a rollercoaster, or flown in an airplane understands G's.
Quote from Forbin :Basic Physics is taught in public school, or at least it is where I'm from. Same for Trig.

Anyone who has ever driven a car, been on a rollercoaster, or flown in an airplane understands G's.

Dont know... G Forces might be "common sense" but I still know people who have no idea that G Forces effect the race car the way it does (which is why most people I know here dont consider racing an actual "sport")

And I'm currently living in the East Coast, going to school there as well as taking a few classes from an Ivy League college (Cornell).

Even the Ivy leagues I know had no idea that G Forces had that great of an effect on race car drivers. Had I been talking about jet pilots they would have been like "no sh*t". But they figured that race car drivers just "feel a slightly heavier" and that's it...and it isn't enough to cause any physical exertion on the driver...

So no...while theoretically it is common sense...it doesnt necessarily means that people would make that connection (and they usually dont actually)
#58 - 5haz
Quote from Forbin :Basic Physics is taught in public school, or at least it is where I'm from. Same for Trig.

Of course, but 90% of people forget most of what they learn in school (especially in Maths of Science) because it just dosen't apply to their everyday lives. That dosen't mean they're stupid or moronic in any way. Its no reason to look down on them, they probrably know stuff you don't.

Quote from Forbin :Anyone who has ever driven a car, been on a rollercoaster, or flown in an airplane understands G's.

They may know what experiencing G's is like, but would they know the name, or the science behind it.
I'd claim that maths and science DOES apply to everyday lives, if you're interested in the world around you. If you are a non-thinker (i.e. can't walk down the street without an iPod, or need to be on MSN when you're at home rather than 'on your own') then I can see that Hello! magazine might be more relevant.

Just because one is too stupid to see how the stuff you learnt at school is relevant doesn't make it irrelevant
Apathy defines our generation. Therefore, even if a person is incredibly intelligent. Subjects that the person "could not care less about" will have close to 0 thought on it. Therefore seemingly "common sense" connections (such as how G Force affects the drivers) will be largely ignored.

Sure...stupid people wont be able to make that connection on their own. But not everybody who doesnt make that connection are stupid. Again, all the Ivy Leagues i've met had no idea that G Forces actually makes the race car driver's job much more physical. Granted, when I explained that to them they were like "oh...ok makes sense" and just walked away. They didnt make that connection before because they were apathetic to the point where they wouldn't have the slightest thought about the subject but not because they were stupid.

I'll give another example, playing piano the wrong way can actually injure you to the point where you wont be able to play piano again for a long period of time (or even for the rest of your life.) Sometimes in extreme situations you'll lose the ability to use your hand effectively (Schumann, Flesher, etc.) That's "common sense" to musicians cause of the way the piano contorts the hand (this is also taught in music class which is mandatory for a lot of schools i went to)...did you know that before? Probably not. Does that make you stupid? No...not necessarily. Did you care about this making this connection? Likely not either.

Apathy defines and destroys our generation.
Quote from lizardfolk :I'll give another example, playing piano the wrong way can actually injure you to the point where you wont be able to play piano again for a long period of time (or even for the rest of your life.) Sometimes in extreme situations you'll lose the ability to use your hand effectively (Schumann, Flesher, etc.) That's "common sense" to musicians cause of the way the piano contorts the hand (this is also taught in music class which is mandatory for a lot of schools i went to)...did you know that before? Probably not. Does that make you stupid? No...not necessarily. Did you care about this making this connection? Likely not either.

As in an RSI style injury? Sure - playing the piano, in terms of physical stance and movement, is very similar to typing on a computer. I've only fiddled with pianos now and again, and it seems quite obvious to me that using them 'wrong' could result in a form of injury.

Of course, you'd have to be a complete dunce to continue playing the piano whilst it hurt a bit, and hence would deserve the injury you eventually got

The point is that an understanding maths and science will enhance your enjoyment of everyday life. It will enhance your safety on the road (e.g. understanding how objects accelerate, decelerate, change direction, or how parallax works etc). It will make you enjoy the wonder of a "maple 'helicopter' seed" falling to the floor. You'll enjoy motorsport more. You'll be able to hang your washing out more efficiently. Just knowing that liquids are, essentially, imcompressible will make you better at braking. And the best thing is, with an understanding of these things even at the 12 year old school level, you don't actually have to apply any effort. It'll be pretty obvious. And you'll want to learn more (e.g. see something that seems interesting, and you'll look it up or research it - or, as the current generation seem to do, just go on Wikimadeitupedia). The world is a magical place, but even more so when you have the faintest idea why or what's causing what you see.
#62 - 5haz
Quote from tristancliffe :I'd claim that maths and science DOES apply to everyday lives, if you're interested in the world around you. If you are a non-thinker (i.e. can't walk down the street without an iPod, or need to be on MSN when you're at home rather than 'on your own') then I can see that Hello! magazine might be more relevant.

Just because one is too stupid to see how the stuff you learnt at school is relevant doesn't make it irrelevant

I'm not sying maths and science doesn't apply at all, just its not often these days that I find myself having to use a lot of the maths that I learnt, fortunately Geology doesn't involve a lot of Maths because I hate Maths with a passion.

It is possible to think and listen to music at the same time, music often gives you something to think about too, but that depends on wether its genuine music or soulless trash music.
Quote from tristancliffe :As in an RSI style injury? Sure - playing the piano, in terms of physical stance and movement, is very similar to typing on a computer. I've only fiddled with pianos now and again, and it seems quite obvious to me that using them 'wrong' could result in a form of injury.

Actually in terms of physical stance and movement it's very different from typing on the keyboard. Especially since touch matters so much on the piano that it requires a completely different mechanic while they keyboard is simple to the point where everyone's typing is relatively the same.

Watch Glenn Gould then watch Arthur Rubinstein and you'll see the difference.

But this is a fantastic example. The fact that you already compared typing to playing the piano just because both require you hitting the keys is such rudimentary thinking. Does it mean you are stupid? No. It just means you dont really care.

Here's another article that covers the simple differences between typing and playing. http://carolhung.com/2009/03/2 ... ng-piano-or-typing-piano/

Quote from tristancliffe :The point is that an understanding maths and science will enhance your enjoyment of everyday life. It will enhance your safety on the road (e.g. understanding how objects accelerate, decelerate, change direction, or how parallax works etc). It will make you enjoy the wonder of a "maple 'helicopter' seed" falling to the floor. You'll enjoy motorsport more. You'll be able to hang your washing out more efficiently. Just knowing that liquids are, essentially, imcompressible will make you better at braking. And the best thing is, with an understanding of these things even at the 12 year old school level, you don't actually have to apply any effort. It'll be pretty obvious. And you'll want to learn more (e.g. see something that seems interesting, and you'll look it up or research it - or, as the current generation seem to do, just go on Wikimadeitupedia). The world is a magical place, but even more so when you have the faintest idea why or what's causing what you see.

That's all well and good but our generation is already wired to not make "common sense" connections if we have no interest in the subject. There are millions of people who couldn't care less about motorsports or how a car works and thus very basic and simple concept will elude them about this subject. In fact, I know some who are deliberately ignorant about it because they believe motorsports are harmful.

Fact is, yes, it's pretty obvious. But when you are apathetic to oblivion you even ignore the obvious. Again...apathy defines out generation

(of course...this could just be the people I'm around...but I've known some people outside of the states that act the exact same way)
Sounds like you just need smarter, less judgemental, less angsty friends.
IMO the availability of internet and mass media in recent years has developed a larger awareness toward the level of intelligence of society on a world scale. The level of common sense has not necessarily decreased in the past twenty years; however I am not saying it shouldn't be higher.
Quote from 5haz :fortunately Geology doesn't involve a lot of Maths because I hate Maths with a passion.

so youre doing geology without understanding how dating works?
Quote from Forbin :Sounds like you just need smarter, less judgemental, less angsty friends.

I dont know what is with you and you insisting that people not making common sense connections are stupid. But w/e i guess If you want to mistake extreme apathy with stupidity than that's your business.

Also...meet people that are not judgmental? Here in the east coast? Among Ivy Leagues and "intellectuals"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one

Not really sure if you have noticed or not but our generation (teens and very early adulthood) is very narcissistic. Which inherently makes us very "stupid" about things to try (key word: try) to be funny, edgy, and or intelligent (i.e. DUH ANY RETARD CAN RACE OVALS DUH)

Heck...I've even met someone who stated that "racing is as important as Hannah Montana". (And yes he was an fundamentalist environmentalist and he was trying to be funny). I'm NOT making that up. Pissed the hell out of me. I mean nvm the large amounts of technology that was pushed and developed from motorsports :rolleyes: Common sense missing in that statement? Yeah...does that belief make him stupid? Not necessarily. He could be apathetic to the point where he doesnt care to apply logic or learn more about that subject. I mean how many times have you tried to explain something to someone and their response was "I dont care"? Happens quite often where I'm at talking to other members of my generation (key words members of MY GENERATION. The older generation might be completely different)
I think the subject in question is lowered standards will only give rise to even lower standards. In this case standards of common sense. The moment expectations of common sense are lowered, low standards of commons sense become acceptable. People rise to their expectations, and those who don't meet their expectations are called failures.
Quote from lizardfolk :Heck...I've even met someone who stated that "racing is as important as Hannah Montana". (And yes he was an fundamentalist environmentalist and he was trying to be funny). I'm NOT making that up. Pissed the hell out of me. I mean nvm the large amounts of technology that was pushed and developed from motorsports :rolleyes: Common sense missing in that statement? Yeah...does that belief make him stupid? Not necessarily.

I don't know how this topic derailed from G-Forces to this but I would have seen the derailment from G-Forces to the G-Spot or something else silly...

That said, there is nothing common sense about that statement, he is making an opinion, or a completely absurd statement that is meaningless; Hannah Montana and Racing have less to do than Apples and Oranges (which are at least both fruits or even food for that matter). But this statement has no fact or meaning - therefor commonsense really can't apply. Least I think so. Now if he mentioned something like: "Racing is pointless, cars are driving around and getting nowhere just wasting our resources" That actually contains some common sense that racing involves using resources; oil/gas etc... But the other side could then argue back that racing advances automotive (and other industries) technologies, and provides entertainment. The debate can go on, but facts need to be used to back things up; How useless is Hannah Montana? Not very. There are millions of fans that are; entertained and addicted/stuck on watching/listening to her media outlets. That is not meaningless, meaningless to me - yes, because I am not a fan of that entertainment.
Quote from lizardfolk :Heck...I've even met someone who stated that "racing is as important as Hannah Montana". (And yes he was an fundamentalist environmentalist and he was trying to be funny).

Fundies of all types are unintelligent, judgmental, and angsty.
Quote from legoflamb :I think the subject in question is lowered standards will only give rise to even lower standards. In this case standards of common sense.

Yes you hit it right on the mark. And this cycle is continuing based on the current upcoming generation. Doesn't mean the generation is getting stupider (although that can be the case, it isnt necessarily the case)

Quote from blackbird04217 :

That said, there is nothing common sense about that statement, he is making an opinion, or a completely absurd statement that is meaningless; Hannah Montana and Racing have less to do than Apples and Oranges (which are at least both fruits or even food for that matter). But this statement has no fact or meaning - therefor commonsense really can't apply. Least I think so. Now if he mentioned something like: "Racing is pointless, cars are driving around and getting nowhere just wasting our resources" That actually contains some common sense that racing involves using resources; oil/gas etc... But the other side could then argue back that racing advances automotive (and other industries) technologies, and provides entertainment. The debate can go on, but facts need to be used to back things up; How useless is Hannah Montana? Not very. There are millions of fans that are; entertained and addicted/stuck on watching/listening to her media outlets. That is not meaningless, meaningless to me - yes, because I am not a fan of that entertainment.

Exactly, thanks for pointing out the obvious but the fact that the statement lacks any common sense is precisely the point. That statement wasn't made by an inbreed redneck. It was made by a well educated Ivy League Graduate Student who is studying Advanced Chemstry (in fact I'd say he's smarter than most...including me)

Quote from Forbin :Fundies of all types are unintelligent, judgmental, and angsty.

Judgmental? Yes. Angsty? Sure. But that doesnt make him necessarily stupid. If he wouldn't have the ability to comprehend why racing is physically exhausting due to G-Forces or why racing can be beneficial then he would be stupid. He has the ability to comprehend but he chooses not to exercise that ability. That's the difference between someone who is stupid and someone who just has extreme apathy. It might result in the same idiotic comment. But just brushing it off by saying "the person is just too dumb" is lazy. I mean all this is what extreme apathy does to people and extreme apathy does define our generation (there's sociology articles on it if you care...but you probably dont and that in itself is already a example of what i'm saying). But hey, if you want to be lazy and simplify it to "oh he's just stupid" go right ahead.

EDIT: Now all this is extremely fascinating...but lets put this thread back to the G Force discussion and if you seriously want to continue why dont you just make a sociology thread and I'll be happy to join in.
The reason I oppose your generalization is this: whenever I tell friends/acquaintances/coworkers I race and describe the physical exertion involved, comments range from an understanding and impressed nod, to further questions about exercises I do and riding techniques. I've never gotten a blank stare or an uninterested apathetic response like, "you just sit there on the bike."

The age range of these people goes from about 22 to 65 years, with a similarly wide range of education levels, and no pattern to the questions based on age nor education. The interest is universal.
Quote from Forbin :The reason I oppose your generalization is this: whenever I tell friends/acquaintances/coworkers I race and describe the physical exertion involved, comments range from an understanding nod, to further questions about exercises I do. I've never gotten a blank stare or an uninterested apathetic "you just sit there on the bike."

The age range of these people goes from about 22 to 65 years, with no kind of pattern to the questions based on age. The interest is universal.

Well if I had told someone that I was into bike racing that would have automatically made me "cool" and thus people would pay much more attention.

People all around me are either really really into the street racing culture (and drifting) or just jaded against motorsports in general. So when I describe professional motor racing like IndyCar, F1, NASCAR, ALMS, w/e...I usually get that said blank stare and a "you just sit in a car" statement. HOWEVER, when I talk to people outside of my college (older about from 26-40) people are generally much more open minded and much more willing to use their intelligence.

I even had a long conversation about the stock car racing in the Syracuse area with a Cornell Physics professor.

Maybe just the people I know within my college (and the Cornell students) just suck. I'm willing to admit that. But just because they dont make that common sense connection doesnt automatically make them stupid. They might be narcissistic, angsty, judgmental bastards...but they aren't necessarily stupid. But it is also my experience that this kind of narcissistic judgmental attitude is also shared by oval bashers So I'm not exactly that far away from home am i...
An unwillingness to make use of one's mental faculties does not make a person stupid? You don't necessarily have to be smart to get into college, you know. I met a lot of dumb kids in my 4 years.

As for the oval racing, I never said it was easy, I said it was boring. That's not a false statement of fact, like saying racing requires no effort, just an opinion.
Quote from Forbin :An unwillingness to make use of one's mental faculties does not make a person stupid? You don't necessarily have to be smart to get into college, you know. I met a lot of dumb kids in my 4 years.

I know that college can have very dumb kids. But for me...the definition of "stupid" means that the person doesnt have the ability to process beyond a certain level of comprehension. Regardless if the individual has the willingness to comprehend beyond a certain level. Not willing to comprehend beyond a certain level on a certain subject is more an effect of extreme apathy than a physiological inability (or poor mental development (education)).

Quote from Forbin :As for the oval racing, I never said it was easy, I said it was boring. That's not a false statement of fact, like saying racing requires no effort, just an opinion.

That actually wasnt targeted at you (sorry for any miscommunication). And yes, I do realize that an opinion that oval racing's boring is different from someone making a statement that oval racing takes 0 skill (or saying that racing takes no physical effort).

G-Force discussion
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG