The online racing simulator
Quote from e2mustang :i quoted the same few pages back

oh dint see
well it need to be quoted in every page on this thread
Quote from Miller :It's just too quiet in the LFS community. And I don't just mean updates, although they have been rare lately.

We are tired. That's why.

It's like you get in your everyday car but you just can drive it in 5 streets, and not anywhere else.. (SO, FE, AS, BL, WE, not counting Autopark :tilt

Yes, we still sign in for leagues, we still go online for pick up races and some single events, but the fun many of us found nowadays it's %100 due to the friends we did in LFS through this years. What I'm trying to say is that the game itself hasn't got any single surprising factor since a long long time (speaking in soft/games terms).

Same "buggy" physics but, for instance, a simple rain simulation with (if not much to ask) proper sounds would make the same old LFS (with all it bugs, yes!) a whole new entertaining game (as it was in the beggining when we discovered it).

My 2 cts.
Quote from Koa128 :
Same "buggy" physics but, for instance, a simple rain simulation with (if not much to ask) proper sounds would make the same old LFS (with all it bugs, yes!) a whole new entertaining game (as it was in the beggining when we discovered it).

My 2 cts.

I would rather wait to this tyre physics update to actually have a good basis for the rain feature you're speaking about. I'd come with no 'buggy' physics, but properly simulated physics then, which would be even better. Only problem is this waiting for it, but as I have life I don't have a problem with it. Not as many others, though.
Quote from col :FWIW, I do know a better answer, but going by your final sentence, you would be too stupid to understand.

You really would be too stupid.

Ahha. so col, cal or whoever you are that's the reason why wouldnt you share with us . BTW i wrote my last sentence to keep ppls like you . I wrote my theory about something, and i was waiting for intelligent answers.

Sorry for my bad english!
Quote from MadCat360 :What's wrong with the turbo simulation?

If definitely is not realistic, just go drive a turbo car in real life and watch the boost gauge. Seems LFS is based just on rpm and the engine power to tell how many pounds the turbo should dish out.

and LFS is the new duke nukem forever.. sorta. In that we at least already have a game haha.
Quote from Macfox :Is LFS going to revist it's glory or is it going to be the biggest disappointment in sim racing history.

I'd hate to see it happen, but I'm pretty sure LFS will end up as a huge disappointment, with players decreasing in numbers rapidly...probably not in the next couple of years, but it is inevitable at this rate of development.

Of course, it's not too late for Dev's to turn things around and employ more people; they'll be kicking themselves when it all goes to dust.

guys, why so much moaning/hating ? LFS should not be the only thing in your lifes..... y' know what i mean.... give the devs a break, they are busy for your enjoyment so yeah... give them some peace and they will put a nice gift in the downloads section........ that is if you still live in a period called '' early 2009 '' .

NO, im not Trolling! youz is trolling!....
I smellz a troll!
Quote from BOSCHO :oh dint see
well it need to be quoted in every page on this thread

Quote from Mango Juice :I'd hate to see it happen, but I'm pretty sure LFS will end up as a huge disappointment, with players decreasing in numbers rapidly...probably not in the next couple of years, but it is inevitable at this rate of development.

Of course, it's not too late for Dev's to turn things around and employ more people; they'll be kicking themselves when it all goes to dust.

A huge disappointment...

A game that is played since 2003, with all the drawbacks a 3-person-development game has, having a peak of 782 drivers last night and almost 1000 racers online last sunday, and which every day S2 licenses are bought (two friends of mine bought it since friday), can it be mentioned as "a huge disappointment"???

I don't think so...
Quote from JPeace :tbh, i reckon devs look at this thread and laugh.

"Lets hold the patch for a while, and see what will happend"
That would be evil :evil:
Quote from JPeace :Evil, but funny lol.

Just to see all the consprisies on the forum

Yes, you are getting the point
we know what will hapen... scawen posts that good update,and thread gonna be 35 pages full with : omg best shit eva,u teh MAN thx etc etc... which is good and im looking forward to it. meanwhile ill have my scirocco in 3ds max
Quote from e2mustang :we know what will hapen... scawen posts ..

Yes but the problem is that, we should check Scawen's last posts, to see if there are any news about the progress report, cause in this thread there are spam posts every 10 minutes, I think that there are not many people who can check every last post .. =/ The decision is to lock the thread and when there is sth. to report, the man who have the key for unlock to do it!
Quote from NunoMike :A huge disappointment...

A game that is played since 2003, with all the drawbacks a 3-person-development game has, having a peak of 782 drivers last night and almost 1000 racers online last sunday, and which every day S2 licenses are bought (two friends of mine bought it since friday), can it be mentioned as "a huge disappointment"???

I don't think so...

From a half glass full PoV... You've taken the best possible stats for a narrow (EU) timezone. The long term (wider) picture isn't as pretty.

Side note: Also if you look deeper, a big percentage are cruise and drift players. There's nothing wrong with that, but LFS is a primarily a racing game, not a drifter or cruise game and any measure or claim should account for this factor.

Licensed racers (600weeks)

If there were significant volumes of licenses being sold, the above graph would look much different. More than likely it's the same crowed playing the game over and over and they aren't generating any revenue for the devs.

They'd need to sell 100's a month to maintain a reasonable income and cover expenses.

It does raise the question of how development can continue, with the revenue stream (appearing to be) drying up. Perhaps the devs have other revenue streams other than LFS. I hope so.
Quote from e2mustang :we know what will hapen... scawen posts that good update,and thread gonna be 35 pages full with : omg best shit eva,u teh MAN thx etc etc... which is good and im looking forward to it. meanwhile ill have my scirocco in 3ds max

For sure that will probably happen at some stage, but more importantly, will it be enough to revive wider "long term" interest in the game.
Quote from Macfox :If there were significant volumes of licenses being sold, the above graph would look much different. More than likely it's the same crowed playing the game over and over and they aren't generating any revenue for the devs.

Aren't you people always saying that because of the lack of updates people are leaving LFS? Wouldn't that mean that by necessity the players keeping the stats up are new ones?

Or are you just bending facts the way you want to justify a good cry?
Didn't Scawen answer this question a while back, showing shallow but clearly positive trend in user numbers on the long term record?
Quote from wien :Aren't you people always saying that because of the lack of updates people are leaving LFS? Wouldn't that mean that by necessity the players keeping the stats up are new ones?

As has been said many time; there lies, damn lies and statistics.

From my personal point of view though alot of the people I used to race against regularly just don't play lfs anymore. A few are interesting but there are a few who just don't care anymore. There are a fair few people like me who keep an eye on here but really don't play now. So drawing from this it would seem that it is new people palying. However a small sample doesn't prove the rule.
It's perfectly normal that people get sick of something after playing the same thing over and over again. It's perfectly normal and I aplaude the guys who are here since the start and still playing lfs today! I would probably have went to some other thing, not because it is bad but in search for new experiences and something different.

What I meant is that LFS is not a flop since there are still new people checking the demo and buying S2 after that. For me, a new-comer to S2 after some years of demo, LFS has a lot to explore and to learn about. I haven't drive for real all cars and there are still some tracks I haven't raced on... and then there is the reverse layout!

So, for me and others, there is plenty of stuff to check out and I believe it will take a lot to master all cars and all tracks, like some of you do nowadays.

In conclusion, you may say LFS already gave it all to you and there is nothing more to take from, but saying it is a flop is a pure lie without any valid argument to support it.
@macfox

That graphic is a bit misleading because what that shows is something around the average between the peak and the lowest users online. For example on attch 1 you clearly see licensed racers go up to 900. When you condense it to show more and more days, the lower parts stay, while the peaks disappear, and thus seeming like the population is only around 400.

Most licensed racers are from europe, and the lower parts of the grapghics (morning playing) won't reveal as much the increase in new users.
Attached images
sd.JPG
sdf.JPG
Quote from AudiBG :The decision is to lock the thread and when there is sth. to report, the man who have the key for unlock to do it!

Nah, as soon as this thread is locked, there would be numerous threads popping up on why the developement takes so long, if scawen is still alive and why this thread was locked...

Thus, to prevent spam and forum clutter, it's best to keep it open and move any similar discussion in here where it can't do much harm. And once scawen has something new to say, he'll simply open a new thread.

On a sidenote: I don't think that any of the devs keep reading this topic anyway.
Quote from wien :

It's not my graph. It's from LFS world obviously. By your logic a great portion of the community would be turning over every couple of months.

Quote from Breizh :Didn't Scawen answer this question a while back, showing shallow but clearly positive trend in user numbers on the long term record?

Quote? Not just for me, but others too. I follow most of Scawen comments, but I don't recall reading something to that fact.

Quote from Greboth :As has been said many time; there lies, damn lies and statistics.

From my personal point of view though alot of the people I used to race against regularly just don't play lfs anymore. A few are interesting but there are a few who just don't care anymore. There are a fair few people like me who keep an eye on here but really don't play now. So drawing from this it would seem that it is new people palying. However a small sample doesn't prove the rule.

Regardless of the actual cause, a flat graph isn't positive. The community hasn't significantly grown over the last few years.

If I was to take a stab, it probably a lot of loyal dedicated players with a few new ones coming in for a few months, then not returning.

Quote from NunoMike :It's perfectly normal that people get sick of something after playing the same thing over and over again. It's perfectly normal and I aplaude the guys who are here since the start and still playing lfs today! I would probably have went to some other thing, not because it is bad but in search for new experiences and something different.

What I meant is that LFS is not a flop since there are still new people checking the demo and buying S2 after that. For me, a new-comer to S2 after some years of demo, LFS has a lot to explore and to learn about. I haven't drive for real all cars and there are still some tracks I haven't raced on... and then there is the reverse layout!

So, for me and others, there is plenty of stuff to check out and I believe it will take a lot to master all cars and all tracks, like some of you do nowadays.

In conclusion, you may say LFS already gave it all to you and there is nothing more to take from, but saying it is a flop is a pure lie without any valid argument to support it.

You're interpreting the original quote wrong. It was in the context of the next update. Yes the game has been a success in the past. However the question is, will this next update restore it's glory?

Quote from LiveForBoobs :@macfox

That graphic is a bit misleading because what that shows is something around the average between the peak and the lowest users online. For example on attch 1 you clearly see licensed racers go up to 900. When you condense it to show more and more days, the lower parts stay, while the peaks disappear, and thus seeming like the population is only around 400.

Most licensed racers are from europe, and the lower parts of the grapghics (morning playing) won't reveal as much the increase in new users.

Yes it's an average. So the couple of hours a day where it does peak, gets averaged out. The point of the graph was to show the overall flat trend rather than actual licensed racers, which at anyway you look at it 900 or 400 isn't great.

Quote from ColeusRattus :
On a sidenote: I don't think that any of the devs keep reading this topic anyway.

You'd be right, scawen unsubscribed from the thread. But that doesn't mean he's not reading, I'm pretty sure he read most things.
What's worst than being a LFS fan during 2009 and 2010???

Of course being also a fan of Gran Turismo 5!!!!!

Still loving it, though, although I've been in a break mode during most of 2009....

Peace and love...
Can't find it, but I'm fairly sure someone posted showing the trend. Maybe it was in one of the threads discussing license numbers.. And someone went and checked LFSW more thoroughly for the data.
This is all I found, don't have time to look further
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=925895#post925895

If you go to LFSW and open 'Racers and hosts online', select History and select '600 weeks' at the far right, you see hosts numbers flattening recently, but racers still on a shallow but clear upward trend.

edit 2- Never mind, you already saw that data. I only have to say that another very experienced game developer said that games like LFS can be relied on to have a population continually in flux. New users replacing old ones. Only a small proportion of players do stick around for very long. There's no way to tell from just those LFSW graphs whether that's the case. I reckon it's not likely to be a totally static population.
Anyway, considering how much complaining there is, and how truly little updating the game has had, it's not so bad. Once a major update does show up, things should pick up pretty good.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG