The online racing simulator
Karting question
(107 posts, started )
Quote from james12s :im not sure on the arks i thought it was just that you showed compentance, understanding of procedure, understanding of flag rules and requirments etc and could handle a kart and drive on the racing line and the like, they activly say its not all about speed, unless its changd recently. he arks website is your best bet:http://www.arks.co.uk/ and this is useful aswell: http://www.abkc.org.uk/startkart.htm

I know a dude whop recently took the test and said he needed to get with 110%

I never had to take it so I can't say 100%. I did karting when men were men and we didn't need to have some excessively easy driving test
lol ok it may have changed then, my info is about 4 years outdated from when iwas gonna do my arks, i have to go do it though if i wanna race in the f6 series when i get a kart
i could always hire one of there karts for the test
Quote from brt900 :i could always hire one of there karts for the test

...and spend another £100 or so getting a licence you don't intend to use apart from the odd test day at 3 Sisters? You could save more money travelling a little further to Hooton where you don't need one for an open test day AFAIK Also the hooton is smaller which means it'd be more fun. 3 sisters can only be appreciated in a fast machine.

Also bear in mind they'll possibly be requiring you to drove something considerably faster than what you're used to (if that is the only kart available to rent though I'd imagine a full range of karts would be there) in the ARKS. The possibility is there however that you could fail, especially driving a much faster and unfamiliar kart. That would be £200 down the drain.

I think you'd be better of waiting and looking at your options before spending a lot of cash on a kart you might not want.
Quote from james12s :most of the time rental karts are gx200s restricted to gx160 power levels so they never really rev very far and especially indoors wont have been at high revs for long periods so i shouldnt worry to much.

I'm not so sure karting centers restrict their karts, I used to believe that but working in one I've found ours aren't. We have two centers and none of the karts are restricted, even the bigger 270s. Some manufacturers offer handicap levels.

One thing you have to remember is gearing + the sheer weight of a hire kart. One of our sodi karts is like 150kgs on its own... then you have a honda cadet which is basically the equivalent in racing terms and it weights 103kg with driver!!

brt900, I'd personally look around. I would have thought for not much more money you could probably pick up a older racing pro-kart (i.e two honda gx engines) which will be quicker and just as reliable. Any 8 year old in his cadet is gonna fly by ya if your driving an ex-rental kart.
going karting in a few hours so my dad can have a look at it ill try get some pics
-
(Jordan2007) DELETED by Jordan2007
just been to the place with my dad looking at he kart. wow is it a shed there all from the old place its a 270cc sodi. It looks a lot like this http://www.sodikart.com/gb/kar ... 3E/sodi-gt2-270,8,91.html so my dad has now said budget is around £1k and he wants something reliable and looks the part as it is mainly being used for advertising so if anyone knows of or even has a kart for sale preferebly eligable in a kart class to be able to race in at 15 and is located in or around the north west it would be great.
-
just found a great minamax package for £1160 but its in croydon but then i saw this Mini/Junior Max + Full Spares
2008 Interpid Cruiser Pro, new plastics and 2009 sticker kit, all Wild Kart parts used to win NatSKA Championship. 2008 engine 15hrs since new, 3hrs since BRT rebuild very quick won many races in NatSKA, 8.5 carb used in S1 (£200), new exhaust, battery. Over £1000 genuine Intrepid spares.
Gold mags + SL8, alloys + SL8, wet rims + tyres. 5 axles all grades, ph2 stub axles, 3 steering columns. 3 caster camber kits normal, gold, black, spare plastics + plastic Euro bumper, Sparco race suit + loads more bits, great starter package will help with set up, bargain.

Price: £1600
Tel: 07533241336

Ref: 112392
Expires: 07/03/2010

but its a bit pricey
-
Quote from Jordan2007 :TRIPLE POST! EPIC Win.

I Know who's selling that Lmao

little rat you deleted youre posts
Quadruple post! X4!!!! Epic win!
Quote from keiran :I'm not so sure karting centers restrict their karts, I used to believe that but working in one I've found ours aren't. We have two centers and none of the karts are restricted, even the bigger 270s. Some manufacturers offer handicap levels.

One thing you have to remember is gearing + the sheer weight of a hire kart. One of our sodi karts is like 150kgs on its own... then you have a honda cadet which is basically the equivalent in racing terms and it weights 103kg with driver!!

brt900, I'd personally look around. I would have thought for not much more money you could probably pick up a older racing pro-kart (i.e two honda gx engines) which will be quicker and just as reliable. Any 8 year old in his cadet is gonna fly by ya if your driving an ex-rental kart.

i think some restrict them and some gear them alot higher both basicly meaning the engines work less hard and perform similar to a gx, some places dont but the majority do i think
TKM ARC 2006 with 2 Junior BT82 engines approx 9 hours each. Set of dry rims, £500 ono.

is that a full kart?
I'm going to break some illussions, and i'm really sorry - but I think you're wasting your time. I will explain why I think this:

Firstly, the simple fact of karting is that a cheap kart will cost you more money. Not just in the fact that as a 2nd hand kart they will have a higher running cost than a new kart in spare parts - but because you will need to invest money into it to make it competitive...

Being competetive doesnt matter?

Wrong.

You go out on a test day in what is clearly a rental kart, pottering around as quickly as a rental kart will go - you will be getting lapped every 2-3 laps by the quick guys. They will soon get really really really really really annoyed with you.

Your stated objected is to run around the track with decals on, is it to advertise to the other racers? If so, I suggest you dont annoy them by buying an old worn out rental kart.

Is it to take photos for promotional purposes? In that case OK sure, take it out once then throw it away... It'll be a lot cheaper to stick some stickers onto the kart of somebody who actually races, but it'll achieve your objective.

The purpose of this kart is for advertising, this in an industry heavily saturated with advertising to people who see you not as a billboard, but as an annoying mobile chicane.

Billboard advertising doesn't work anyway. Most racing teams don't sell space on their race vehicles, they sell value added services and throw the name on the car as a consequence - unless you have television spectators of a race series there is no benefit to the name being on the car unless it's sat on a stand at a trade show or some such.

So commercially your project is likely to do more harm to you than good. If you are serious about advertising to racing drivers then consider permission marketting methods (read up on Seth Godin books), as currently the marketplace is devoid of this.

However, if you want to race... If that's the real reason...

Then do it properly. Get a competetive kart and race, learn the art of racecraft, and enjoy a wonderful and exhillerating sport.

There is no such thing as cheap karting. If you can't afford to do it properly then it will return the most megre rewards.

A cheap kart will cost you more money per minute spent in the kart then a good competetive kart which cost you more to begin with. The only way to achieve economical karting is to have sufficient funds to do it properly. It really is a cut throat industry that discards the poor and the broken wallets without so much as a second thought.

Nothing with rental bumpers is ever going to do anything but annoy other racers on a test day... They're looking to shave off .1 of a second off their lap times and every 3 laps they're passing you... don't do it. Seriously, just don't. It'll be the most expensive failed experiment you ever did.

Rental karts aren't just slow because of a restrictor on the engine, they have thicker and heavier chassis, more bumpers, and years of bodged repair jobs... I've seen rental karts straightened by wedging them into metal stairs and having 3 guys bounce up and down on it...
Quote :I'm not so sure karting centers restrict their karts, I used to believe that but working in one I've found ours aren't. We have two centers and none of the karts are restricted, even the bigger 270s. Some manufacturers offer handicap levels.

Some do.... The tell tale is the sound of the engine cutting at the fastest part of the circuit in a kind of on/off pattern, like the engine is struggling to keep the revs up. The moment you hear that run your fingers underneath the outside edge of the petrol tank and you'll often find a little lever there (although there is more than one type of restrictor)... Press it, and you'll have full throttle. You might also get black flagged, but you'll take the lap record before you have to come in
so big update been offered a kosmic t11 2007 for £450 just need a site to look at engines woul dliek a senior max or a tkm extreme for under £400 if possible
Quote :I am selling these engines due to retirement. All engines come complete with airbox, carb and exhaust.
BT 6*** this was my main race engine and is possibly due a rebuild now as it has run 7-8hours and crank starting to get a bit of movement. On second piston, £200.
BT 5*** bought in October and only been used for one practice session from rebuild so 30 mins max of use, strong engine throughout the rev range, £275.
BT 4*** my back up engine and has also only run 30 mins, £250.

Price: £200 (from)
Tel: 07594 026030

Ref: 112575
Expires: 11/03/2010

http://www.karting.co.uk/MP/#112575

You will not get a SNR max engine or any max engine for under £400
seen that its way too far away
Quote from brt900 :seen that its way too far away

Well you obviously know what you are looking for.. So get looking!
I'm not sure how postage would be on one of those things

Just make sure the engine hasn't done about 10 hours at race standard, because it will be coming to the end of its life before a rebuild is necessary.
the kosmic kart we decided was too far away and it wouldnt fit in the back of our car unless fully dismanled and we dont have a tow bar or a van. so my dad is now after a van and my budget for a kart is £1k but now must be a complete kart. could any one help me in what year kart chassis are good?
Then fully dismantle it .

I always dismantle my kart, assemble it at the track aind dismantle it again at the end of the day. And I have to do that on my own.
even if i do that its a 210 mile trip there and back and it would be sitting in the garage for around 3 months till i get money for an engine
good chassies

1. CRG (the best :razz
2.Birel

thats the only 2 iwe driven. but go for the CRG and you will be happy
how about tony kart?
if you have alot of money its the best, but the frames is so soft it usualy breaks after 3 or 4 races sadly
so my dads van arrives in 12 week a brand new vw caddy 1.9 with a dsg. got about £600 of cash at the momemt for a kart i have my eye on a 09 gillard with a tkm extreme. but where are some tracks in north west that do owner drivers afaik i found:
three sisters (but dont know when)
hooton(same as above)
rednal karting (every day)

thats my huge list where are others

Karting question
(107 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG