The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from GianniC :I think the present debate should be more LFS vs iRacing than LFS vs Rfactor. Cause Rfactor can't even tip LFS nor iRacing.

Lol, you have it the wrong way around. LFS can't tip rFactor (with the right mods and properly set up) or iRacing.

I'm willing to bet you haven't bothered trying quality mods for rFactor. Your loss LFS doesn't even come close IMO.
Quote from obsolum :Lol, you have it the wrong way around. LFS can't tip rFactor (with the right mods and properly set up) or iRacing.

I'm willing to bet you haven't bothered trying quality mods for rFactor. Your loss LFS doesn't even come close IMO.

what mod's is this u speak of? my rfactor directory is 4 gig of mods the only mod i like is the skyline one that was customized by me for a more realistic feel
nobody bothers to actually read the thread...
Quote from Gabkicks :nobody bothers to actually read the thread...

Then again, it is 50+ pages long, that's quite a read
Quote from obsolum :LFS can't tip rFactor (with the right mods and properly set up)

With "right mods"? With right mods, even GTA can be realistic
I too would like to know the mod obsolum refers to. I've tried most that people have said "this one is great", and always been disappointed.
Quote from tristancliffe :I too would like to know the mod obsolum refers to. I've tried most that people have said "this one is great", and always been disappointed.

Same here, pretty much.

Only mod I wasn't disappointed with was Niels' supra and corvette, but one proper car... meh.
Quote from tristancliffe :I too would like to know the mod obsolum refers to. I've tried most that people have said "this one is great", and always been disappointed.

yer i totaly agree

i enjoy my custom mod but maybe its cause i spent hours getting the car to feel a little better....
Finally, after all these years... and dispite of the differences... LFS and rFactor are still here and played by a lot of simmers.
Is there a full in-depth discussion as to what makes

LFS good
RFactor good
Iracing Good?

I'm new to car sims and toca racer 3 was one of the best I found for the PC before I found LFS.

I'm just looking for other games out there... I won't try I racing because I wasn't about to spend 14$ a month. Rfactor looks pretty good... Suggestions?
try netkar pro.
quite good physics (me thinks slightly better than lfs, but shhhhhh), good graphics, quite tricky to handle, but when you get a grip it is very rewarding.
lfs definitely has better handling than rfactor, but rf has countles mods, tracks.....
iracing is killed by price in this comparison
Quote from zazzn :Is there a full in-depth discussion as to what makes

LFS good
RFactor good
Iracing Good?

I'm new to car sims and toca racer 3 was one of the best I found for the PC before I found LFS.

I'm just looking for other games out there... I won't try I racing because I wasn't about to spend 14$ a month. Rfactor looks pretty good... Suggestions?

To be honest, all three you mentioned and netKar Pro all have a lot to offer and all have their drawbacks. The one thing they all have in common is they are proper sims, unlike Toca which is really an arcade game.... semi-sim at best.

brief thoughts...

LFS:- Good physics, superb ease of use when it comes to multiplayer, still a big community despite it being a lot quieter than it used to be, though once the next patch arrives it will really take off again (for a while at least)
Limited to the content the devs produce.

rFactor :- More content than you'll ever get to use. Lots of very good tracks. Lots of cars but 90% of them are pretty poor physics wise.
Pick up racing is pretty poor due to the massive spread of users over the amount of content. Some good leagues though.

iRacing. Equal top of the bunch when it comes to physics and the clear leader when it comes to top quality tracks. Very in depth service offering everything you can possibly want as a serious sim racer. Very regular updates and new content. Worth every penny if your serious about the hobby.

netKar Pro. Physics on a par with iRacing (if not slightly better) Another hardcore sim for the serious sim racer. Limited car choice, but all are absolutely top quality. Not a whole lot of tracks, but more community built tracks appearing slowly but surely. Next to no pickup racing but plenty of league racing to be found. Dirt cheap.

As i said..they all have plus and minus points. I race all of them on and off because they all offer something the others dont. We'll worth having them all in your collection. Dont be put off by iRacings price. There's nearly always some sort of offer going on where you can pick up three months subs cheap.
nKp is a much more difficult sim than LFS, though, so be warned. It's also mainly aimed towards openwheeler drivers at the moment, with only 1 tintop being included in the full game. The demo only lets you drive the F1600. That being said, it is a very rewarding sim if you're willing to put the time in to become good at it, and visually it looks a lot better than LFS.

As for rFactor, with the right mods and tweaks I find it feels a lot better than LFS and it's a hell of a lot more fun, but you really need to know what to look for and what to edit in the different files. The default content is shite and absolutely not worth bothering with. Also, online racing tends to be a nightmare with rFactor. With the countless mods and tracks, and then even different versions of those mods and tracks floating around, you'll be hardpressed to find a populated server to race on. You really have to look at racing communities and organized racing if you want to race your favourite mods online.

As for iRacing, you can get a 1 month trial for $5 with the Radical promo. At least then you'll know for yourself if it's good or not, instead of just going by what you see and hear from other people.

EDIT: beaten by The Moose. Nothing new there...
Quote from obsolum :nKp is a much more difficult sim than LFS, though, so be warned. It's also mainly aimed towards openwheeler drivers at the moment, with only 1 tintop being included in the full game. The demo only lets you drive the F1600. That being said, it is a very rewarding sim if you're willing to put the time in to become good at it, and visually it looks a lot better than LFS.

I dont find nKP as more difficult - it is easy to get used to after LFS. The differences I find is mostly in FFB - nKP is very harsh on wheel and has no smoothness so it is more in feel simbin like, though going back to LFS it feels (LFS) bit too springy.
Second thing I noticed mostly was DX9 effects.
Quote from zazzn :Is there a full in-depth discussion as to what makes

LFS good
RFactor good
Iracing Good?

Start out with Lfs !

When you then have learned Lfs, then you could try out iRacing for a month and compare
It's all upon a taste ofcourse, last week was 5th time i uninstalled rFactor(yes i've tried to get some action up on rfactor with no success, i just can't find the time for surfing through websites for mods/instructions etc...and yes that has taken me more than half of rfactor joy.), that game just doesn't fit in my borders. I feel lfs fits perfectly my standards: pick-up racing when i find some spare time during my personal life and occasionally some league-racing, everything seems so Simple and compact.
iRacing is definately top, though the price is what put me off. Also is netKar, but the lack of time has limited my opprutunities to test it futher and i've settled to lfs only.
rFactor for the win!
Quote from -NightFly- :that's an useful post

:drummer:

No, really. I like playing rfactor in single player, time attacking. After you have installed the needed mods, it's easy to just go and drive while lfs feels so boring in single player and you have to go to multiplayer just for a little fun. rFactor feels much better anyways for me.
lfs and single player does not fit, it's not meant that way i believe and i have'nt been buch of a hotlapper myself anyway.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :No, really. I like playing rfactor in single player, time attacking. After you have installed the needed mods, it's easy to just go and drive while lfs feels so boring in single player and you have to go to multiplayer just for a little fun. rFactor feels much better anyways for me.

That's a good point, actually. With rFactor I can enjoy myself for hours offline driving countless cars on countless tracks. And when I feel I want some competition I just add a bunch of AI cars. They're really not that bad and offer good fighting, I find. Nothing like the LFS AI. LFS in singleplayer is boring as hell. But like Nightfly said, LFS was never meant to be played offline.
Quote from The Moose :
LFS:- Good physics, superb ease of use when it comes to multiplayer, still a big community despite it being a lot quieter than it used to be, though once the next patch arrives it will really take off again (for a while at least)
Limited to the content the devs produce.

rFactor :- More content than you'll ever get to use. Lots of very good tracks. Lots of cars but 90% of them are pretty poor physics wise.
Pick up racing is pretty poor due to the massive spread of users over the amount of content. Some good leagues though.

iRacing. Equal top of the bunch when it comes to physics and the clear leader when it comes to top quality tracks. Very in depth service offering everything you can possibly want as a serious sim racer. Very regular updates and new content. Worth every penny if your serious about the hobby.

netKar Pro. Physics on a par with iRacing (if not slightly better) Another hardcore sim for the serious sim racer. Limited car choice, but all are absolutely top quality. Not a whole lot of tracks, but more community built tracks appearing slowly but surely. Next to no pickup racing but plenty of league racing to be found. Dirt cheap.

I totally agree with you and just to add my 2 cents:

LFS:- very nice sim, but too few cars and above all tracks (I really like SO only...)

Rfactor:- I like historix and VLN2005, but what I really like in Rfactor are the quantities and varieties of tracks (I love tracks like Rally Alicante btw)

NetKarPro: -it seems a very very good sim but only if you like the open wheel cars or the FIAT 500 (so not for me), lack of cars!

Iracing: - the TOP, if only it had the varieties of tracks and cars of Rfactor there would be no better choice I think , even if it's a little expensive

So at the moment I'm playing Iracing most of my freetime and Rfactor sometimes when I get bored of the few (and expensive) Iracing tracks...
LSF only to drive the raceabout...too pity it is nearly impossible to find a server with people driving it...
I've been reading a bit about rFactor 2. Seems they've learnt from their 'mistakes'. It is supposed to have more realistic FFB (at least RealFeel level) and a better tyre model.

If there were enough good cars and scanned tracks, with a one-time license fee rF2 could make for a low cost alternative to iRacing. And to spice things up dynamic weather will be probably added.

The community has been busy churning out rF2 mods for some time already, guess release date can't be too far off?

http://www.racesimcentral.com/ ... nshots-of-user-interface/
The thing that worries me is that modding groups have been creating rF2 mods using the original rF engine. How will they be able to take advantage of a new tyre model and whatnot while still using an older engine?
I would guess they are just dishing out the models.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG