The online racing simulator
Quote from Ryanry64 :My quality is good, I was just an idiot with the glass.

Car glass should not have an IOR of 1.6, all you see is the dark cockpit therefore creating the illusion of tinted windows

Ahh yes! heh, IOR can affect things in funky ways.. but no idiocy, we all have to learn

Here's one just off the press.. a Special Edition version of our team skin I did a while back

Orion.. if you're browsing, feel free to grab this for ZT gallery if it looks ok to you (I do need to model some 3D brake discs for renders sometime soon however, heh)

Regards,

Ian

EDIT: Crap! wrong topic for my own skin.. doh! sorry lads.
Attached images
XRT_dSRC-SE.jpg
Damn you and your talent, that looks great

Anyway, 2 vray lights and a vraylightmtl plane later and I have this..

Improvement?
Attached images
FZR_FlyingFinn3.jpg
Quote from Blackout :I like that very much danowat, thanks
But keep on trying Ryan

Oh btw, is it possible to do a one with dark backround and lights lighting the car out of the darkness, like spotlights? You know, because darkness is allways sexy :P But that itself made a very nice desktop for me

Something like this?.

Dan,
Attached images
2.jpg
Yes, improvment. If you can add another light to top, it could make it look better.

And danowat, no not like that. I mean, well, a black space totally dark, black as space, and lights lighting the car. Not the cars in the car...how explaining this simple thing can be this hard...
heh, I've spent days working on that XRT model to make it as sweet as possible (is probably my favourite model in LFS.. I like the older car style, more character than today's bubbles ) but there's still some errors if you look closely. Most obvious to me as I know it's there is the tyre sidewall textures. I only have photo's from the right side tyres and they're directional, so there's no way of me mapping them to be right for the left side of the car.. but the wheels weren't really modeled for renders.. need to make some new ones I think

As for your progression, that already looks great! Some tweaking and experiments and you'll be sorted

Another 2 settings for the Vray Lights that might be useful, the 'Invisible' checkbox in the modify rollout will determine whether the reflection appears on the car or not. The light will still light the scene as normal, but if 'Invisible' is unchecked, it'll cast a reflection, if not, just light the scene.

The other is the 'Exclude' button. Sometimes I end up overlighting an object but not having enough light in the scene in general. You can use the 'Exclude' options to change what the light actually affects and doesn't.. so in that case, I'd exclude everything but the backdrop so that other lights in the scene would light the car but an extra one would light the backdrop too thus creating more general light without washing out the car itself.

Again it's trial and error for a lot of it, but a couple of extras you might want to play about with.

Regards,

Ian

EDIT: Dunno if any use Ryan, but here's a screenshot of the scene for my XRT render above
Attached images
Snap1.jpg
Ryan and TC, all i can say is WOW

I'm absolutely blown away by all of this

It makes me wanna start saving my pennies, go buy a Caterham, and paint it this colour . You both up for painting a real car ? lol (give it a year or two though)

TC has the colours absolutely spot on, however, it's such a good render, it makes that Union Jack look really crap , thanks buddy,

Thanks once again guy's, i'm now sitting here with a huge grin on my face, ,

And Tristan, (i've already promised this to Ryan), if i ever see you out on track, i promise to slow down and let you past

Superb
What setting would I have to change to see the 'ground plane' in the perspective view? All I have is a car and greyness

Edit : We seem to be hogging the thread, do you have MSN or AIM or anything? I have an endless stream of questions I can think up Edit 3: Just read earlier in the thread. Damn .

Edit2 : slight update
Attached images
FZR_FlyingFinn4.jpg
Quote from Mazz4200 :Ryan and TC, all i can say is WOW

I'm absolutely blown away by all of this

It makes me wanna start saving my pennies, go buy a Caterham, and paint it this colour . You both up for painting a real car ? lol (give it a year or two though)

TC has the colours absolutely spot on, however, it's such a good render, it makes that Union Jack look really crap , thanks buddy,

Thanks once again guy's, i'm now sitting here with a huge grin on my face, ,

And Tristan, (i've already promised this to Ryan), if i ever see you out on track, i promise to slow down and let you past

Superb

Update the skin (make it 2048, you know you want to), and I'll do it again if you like. It's my desktop background at the moment

However, what Ian said about the black windscreen is interesting - it's bugged me all evening, and I've now got to find the appropriate setting in Vray. Ian, could you be a little more precise which bit of that tutorial is relevant to the constantly dark screen please? Don't bother adding a post to this already OT posting session if you don't want to, just edit one of your previous posts, or PM me on dSRC forum or something. Thanks if you do.
Quote from datsun dude :hey can someone render this car for me

there's not much on the car, but i have a 240sx in real life and i want to get it panted just like the one in the pic. so i render pic would be great cause then i can go to a pant shop and show them how i want it too look like

PLZ!!!! anyone going to help me?
you would be my hero if you did:superman:
Thanks TC

I've also included a slightly different skin, "GLr", the only difference is the whole of the back end is red, just pick which ever you think is best.

I've also done one with the white and gold band changed to all gold, but it dont look so good, but if you want it then just ask.

Another thing, I know both you and Ryan are in teams, and therefore have team skins, but if either of you ever wanna use this online, then be my guest. Obviously you'll need to take the name off the back lol. And also, feel free to change/improve it in anyway you want (N.B this only applys to Tristan and Ryan, coz it is very much a personal skin)

Cheers
Well... I think is my first post in this forum ;P

Can someone render my skin for me?

With these config's

XFR:
Black rim's (wheels)
if possible, left side and right side of the car.
Attached images
XFG_GuaraTaros.jpg
@Mazz - Appreciate the offer but if I use anything other than a teamskin I get beaten with sticks.

No joke, sticks.

@Datsun Dude - If you want anything changed on this let me know

@Taros - As above, if you want anything changed let me know
Attached images
XRT_Mmmmonster.jpg
GTIPowah.jpg
I'll have to do some digging on the dark windows tristan, the preset I was using that created that look I trashed and now only renders reflections (actually looks quite funky if you can get enough of the car lit up as a reflection as the rest is jet black and you oinly get an outline definition as such).. but it was a single-pass render which was probably why the glass materials looked crap. Now I use a 2-pass render for previews which'll do a 640x480 in about 5 mins for a studio scene.

IIRC though, it was probably the lowest quality setting in the tute I mentioned previously as that's where I started and followed the different stages. My final renders now are done with a 4-pass render.

The windows in the XRT above however use a single texture for both diffuse and opacity which is then controlled by the alpha channel in the TGA file.

I don't have a FZR sorted to do a decent render of it, but at a guess, although not exactly, Blackout is looking for something _similar_ to this kinda lighting? (ie: very dark but lit in areas). This was a test render in a sealed box with finalRender, but can be done easily enough with spots with attenuation settings in any renderer

My last OT post here too

Regards,

Ian
Attached images
dSRC_wh_xrr_01.jpg
Quote from Ryanry64 :@Mazz - Appreciate the offer but if I use anything other than a teamskin I get beaten with sticks.

No joke, sticks.

thank you so much , it looks so cool, if i could get some more pics like from different angles and maybe a tad brighter. also i don't know much about skins so if there's anything you can do to make the skin look better(not the render cause that look good) that would be great too
Quote from Ryanry64 :@Mazz - Appreciate the offer but if I use anything other than a teamskin I get beaten with sticks.

No joke, sticks.

Thanks for the render...

Taros is from my team, but... he send you the wrong skin... illepall

The right skin is for xfr.

Well in Attach is the right skin and 2 more skins of Guará Racing if you wanna play a little with the scene.

Sorry for the wrong skin... ;/ and my bad english

btw... i loved the lighting in the render

- edit -

Don't use the XFR_GuaraTaros.jpg its the low-res version of the skin... use the XFG_GuaraTaros.jpg, its the same skin but only with the "car name" diferent. I just see this now...

Soo... use the XFG_GuaraTaros in XFR.

Sorry again.
Attached images
XFR_GuaraTaros.jpg
XFR_guarabrunotri.jpg
XFR_guaradaniel.jpg
Yes. Thats what I mean Ian, very nice render
I guess, nobody will help a demo racer, who needs a FZR render for a "championship".
He is not a demoracer, you can find account with that name. His status under the name isnt just updated.
Quote from zeugnimod :I guess, nobody will help a demo racer, who needs a FZR render for a "championship".

hah, was waiting for a response like that. I was planning a few months ago to do the same, register a new account so I appeared as a demo racer and then start talking S2 cars just to wind you lot up.

You self-appointed forum / content police really are idiots. S2 Licensed or Demo means sweet FA on this forum for a "users status".

Regards,

Ian
Oh, sorry then.

Btw, you have 666 posts. :evil:
Quote from Ian.H :hah, was waiting for a response like that. I was planning a few months ago to do the same, register a new account so I appeared as a demo racer and then start talking S2 cars just to wind you lot up.

You self-appointed forum / content police really are idiots. S2 Licensed or Demo means sweet FA on this forum for a "users status".

Regards,

Ian

It shows, if the user registered a new account or logged in with his WEBpassword, which over 99% of licenced racers do.

And in over 90% of the cases, in which a demo racer posted sth, he could only get with a S2 licence, he was rightfully suspected of using an unlocker.
Quote from zeugnimod :It shows, if the user registered a new account or logged in with his WEBpassword, which over 99% of licenced racers do.

And in over 90% of the cases, in which a demo racer posted sth, he could only get with a S2 licence, he was rightfully suspected of using an unlocker.

It shows nothing, it's some text Vic's hooked up to be pulled from the main LFS DB and plugged into the forum _if_ 2 usernames match. So had I registered just a forum account and been seen here as a 'Demo Racer' even though I've paid out for 2 S1 licenses and 2 S2 upgrades and have been registered since April '04.. you'd automagically say I hacked LFS!?

Even if this was the case, surely that's something for the devs to investigate?

Personally I think that status on here is a bad idea (just personal opinion, not suggesting anything).. it seems to be used like post counts are on some forums.. if you have less than 10 posts you're considered an idiot and know nothing.. again it means FA and I've already seen "favouritism" in the render threads for demo / licensed users.

I might not be half as active as I was in LFS these days for various reasons, but I still support the devs and what they're doing and will more than likely buy an S3 license when it's time.

I just have a hard time accepting grasses (which this boils down to) irrespective of where it is (forum, Usenet, local pub, whatever). Informing the devs there's a tool to hack LFS is one thing, trying to thread someone's neck into a noose is something else.

I'll quit with this discussion now anyway as it's one thing in life that _really_ pisses me off and I don't want to get into any major rows here.

Regards,

Ian
Render my skin...pls.!
Attached images
BF1_Default.jpg
Totally agree with you Ian. My son posts on the forum as a "DEMO RACER", but he races S2 on my PC with his own racer name and his own set of skins for his cars. He was going to ask for a render but I guess this is not possible because he is just a "RIFF RAFF DEMO RACER".

Anyway I think this discusion should be kept for another thread so I'll let it lie.

BriSCA

P.S. Will someone please render my skins?
Attached images
bf1_brisca.jpg
XFR_BriSCA STOX1.jpg
Did this one, I hope you like it
Attached images
Stix.jpg

Render My Skin
(9831 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG