The online racing simulator
Club 102 Server concept
(10 posts, started )
#1 - smove
Club 102 Server concept
Dear LFS fellows,

I recently had the idea of creating a new - at least for me - kind of server, or even league possibly: The "Club 102".

What the hell is the Club 102?

The Club 102 is a fictitional racing league consisting of five different cars. The initial goals were to enlarge the range of cars going at a similar speed by balancing them out and to stimulate narrow fights by using the basic cars of LFS. I know, this idea might not be the newest of course, but I just couldn't find something similar NOT using GTR cars.

My goal was to bring this to the slower - yet not less thrilling! - car classes of LFS, powering down even the XFG a bit to create a field of cars that is nearly 100 % balanced, mainly by its power-to-weight ratio, but leaving the different (dis-)advantages like kerb weight and drivetrain concepts (FWD, RWD, 4WD). Specifically, every car should gain a power-to-weight ratio of roughly 102 HP/tonne, hence the class should be called Club 102.

Why just 102 and not at least a million HP???

The target group should be mainly the semi-experienced and mid-field LFS driver, but I wouldn't exclude the pro's from driving there, of course!

One simple rule: If you don't like it, leave it! Further, I based the figure on cars that could be easily found on the real road and that could be the daily-drive of a larger amount of people here more likely than a GTR or Formula car - and I'd like to give these people the opportunity to race a car similar to their own in their favourite race-sim, head to head and in thrilling battles!

What cars should it contain?

The XFG as a light and nimble FWD car,
the XRG as a mid-sized, weight reduced and basic RWD car,
the XRT as a mid-sized, turbo-powered car (slightly heavier than the XRG),
the FXO as a mid-sized, turbo-powered FWD car and
the RB4 as a relatively heavy, front-biased 4WD car.

What about setup options?

I'd appreciate using slightly changed standard setups (i.e. "RACE_S", "Hard Track" or similar) with fixed engine restriction and mass addition/mass position as a base, just leaving final drive and tyre pressure as changeable options. The rest should not be changed from the base setup and you should not be allowed to drive on the server if you do so anyhow. Maybe there could be a script that checks the setups and downloads them automatically, if necessary? Alternatively there could be a link given where a setup package can be downloaded before connecting to the server.

Nice idea, but what now?

Since I never hosted a server, let alone a league, my main question is: Is there anybody who likes the idea that much that he'd like to

1) create the InSim/Airio/etc. commands and implement the necessary technical stuff;
2) test the base car setups with me and improve balancing the cars;
3) host the server; and last, but not least,
4) drive there?

I start by uploading my first efforts resulting in five setups and a replay of some AI's driving them.

As always, comments and critics welcome!
Attached files
Club102_Demo.spr - 1.6 MB - 285 views
FXO_Club102.set - 132 B - 983 views
RB4_Club102.set - 132 B - 898 views
XFG_Club102.set - 132 B - 918 views
XRG_Club102.set - 132 B - 972 views
XRT_Club102 .set - 132 B - 978 views
Quote from smove :
What about setup options?

I'd appreciate using slightly changed standard setups (i.e. "RACE_S", "Hard Track" or similar) with fixed engine restriction and mass addition/mass position as a base, just leaving final drive and tyre pressure as changeable options. The rest should not be changed from the base setup and you should not be allowed to drive on the server if you do so anyhow. Maybe there could be a script that checks the setups and downloads them automatically, if necessary? Alternatively there could be a link given where a setup package can be downloaded before connecting to the server.

I'm affraid it'd be impossible to create an insim in order to check the sets unfortunately. Airio(and a few others AFAIK) can check for mandatory restriction and/or ballast, but that's all, they cannot check any other set option. The only way to check the setups is to do that manually, asking the drivers to give them to you after the race.

As you see, it wouldn't be viable in a public server, but it would be feasable if you plan to start a league on that idea.

About the idea in itself : sounds nice, but I'm affraid there'll be too much difference between the cars to get them closely matched enough for each track. For example I belive that the TBOs would get in front at the longer tracks(we1 for example), while the XFG would get an advantage in the narrow and short ones(so3, fe1)

Nevertheless, if the idea come true, I'd be looking for racing in that, this could be an interresting experience.
#3 - smove
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :About the idea in itself : sounds nice, but I'm affraid there'll be too much difference between the cars to get them closely matched enough for each track. For example I belive that the TBOs would get in front at the longer tracks(we1 for example), while the XFG would get an advantage in the narrow and short ones(so3, fe1)

Thanks for the quick answer - shouldn't it be possible to get a homologous field of cars by letting the AI's test in very long runs and tweeking the setups until the lap time difference is marginal?

Well, then online it could probably only work if you can trust the participants, if I understood correctly? That wouldn't be the perfect case, without trying to tread on someone's toes here.
Quote from smove :Thanks for the quick answer - shouldn't it be possible to get a homologous field of cars by letting the AI's test in very long runs and tweeking the setups until the lap time difference is marginal?

Well, then online it could probably only work if you can trust the participants, if I understood correctly? That wouldn't be the perfect case, without trying to tread on someone's toes here.

The better thing would be to ask an experienced driver to get some tests, as AIs aren't very reliable. Of course, you need someone who know his deal, enough to push the cars near their limits.

But, sure, you could also open the server, ask here if any guys wants to go there and do some race and then just compare the times, but this probably isn't the best or the most precise solution overall.
#5 - smove
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Of course, you need someone who know his deal, enough to push the cars near their limits.

That screams for the Stig's LFS-playing cousin! Maybe we find somebody like that in here - who wants? I'll do some further tests with the AI in the meantime ...
airio CAN check for symmetrical setups.
on some tracks such as Sprint 1 and 2, Fern Bay Club, it is beneficial to have left or right biased camber settings/tire pressures.

using airio to force a symmetrical setup would even it up somewhat.....

interesting concept though, but you will find that most people don't want to be bothered with specialized setups.
I had a server set up specifically to emulate the F2000 open wheel series, using FOX with a 16% intake restriction. were a blast to drive, but put people off because of the necessity to alter gearing and wing settings and such.....

but good luck anyway
Throw in the FZ5 as well!!! That car is so under used

Anyways it's a very interesting idea. I'm defintely willing to participate in any way I can (and hopefully a league as this is a very interesting league idea)
#8 - smove
Quote from lizardfolk :Throw in the FZ5 as well!!! That car is so under used

Anyways it's a very interesting idea. I'm defintely willing to participate in any way I can (and hopefully a league as this is a very interesting league idea)

Thanks for the support!

I considered using the FZ50 as well, but I'm afraid a car resembling a Porsche - even if it's fully restricted - isn't really appropriate to compete with cars similar to a Fiesta, a Lupo, an Astra or even a Yaris, don't you think?
Rac ...
Quote from smove :Thanks for the support!

I considered using the FZ50 as well, but I'm afraid a car resembling a Porsche - even if it's fully restricted - isn't really appropriate to compete with cars similar to a Fiesta, a Lupo, an Astra or even a Yaris, don't you think?

Nah, I actually dont think it looks that flashy. It's completely up to you of course. But the FZ5 would make an epic addition.

Quote from Bmxtwins :Rac ...

Booooo -1

Club 102 Server concept
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG