The online racing simulator
Modernize the cars in LFS
(44 posts, started )
This sugestion is not something like better graphics or either new cars, it's something much simpler.

For a new patch or even S3, it would be interesting, at least, to have the cars that actually are in LFS "face lifted". No general grafx optimization, no performance improvement, just the "face" of the cars rearranged. Different front and rear lights, new car design, rounder edges, less "boxy" aspect, things like that!

The LFS cars look just the same as they were in 2003. 7 years later, for example, the Ford Focus had two face-lifts, the Opel/Vauxhall Astra had at least two also...

A younger XFG, a modern XRG, a more stylized FXO, would at least give LFS a fresh look.

Probably the actual skins would have to be reworked, but I think it would be interesting.

Just my two cents...
+1000000

IMO there are 3 things peeps are looking for in race sims (and get bored of if they dont get it):
- physics
- AV - graphics/sound
- novelties (modding)

So new graphical car models, more polygons, reflections could make latter two.
I don't really mind TBH, but if this can help the game to look better and in the end attract new people, why not
VN idea
Only for looking a fresh LFS
#5 - e.M
+1 even if devs would mind to do this they could make a contest and users would create a 3d models
But that would totally change the cars that they're based on. I've not seen Citroen facelift a 2003 Saxo, it looks the same now as it did back then. A small boxy hothatch. Like the XFG. The Mitsubishi Starion hasn't been updated since 1990 so it looks the same now as it did 15 years ago - a boxy coupe. Like the XRG.
Just because they're not real cars doesn't mean they aren't of a particular time period. Would you be happier if the exact model names were like 1993 XFG? I didn't think it needed pointed out, but plenty of people seem to somehow think they're rolling off imaginary factory lines as they are.

Any new cars being added with features from the last few years should maybe have more modern lines to reflect that, but I don't see Seat taking my car back from me and replacing it with the new shape Leon just because it's no longer current
Meh, modern rounded edges look incredibly bland to me
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Meh, modern rounded edges look incredibly bland to me

Supreme Agreement

All i want i new tire model and scirocco, ahem ... sorry for mentioning.
#9 - Byku
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Meh, modern rounded edges look incredibly bland to me

Totally agree.. those new cars are mehh... at least some of them . Old-fashioned boxy looks were the best ;P.
Quote from Dajmin :But that would totally change the cars that they're based on. I've not seen Citroen facelift a 2003 Saxo, it looks the same now as it did back then. A small boxy hothatch. Like the XFG. The Mitsubishi Starion hasn't been updated since 1990 so it looks the same now as it did 15 years ago - a boxy coupe. Like the XRG.
Just because they're not real cars doesn't mean they aren't of a particular time period. Would you be happier if the exact model names were like 1993 XFG? I didn't think it needed pointed out, but plenty of people seem to somehow think they're rolling off imaginary factory lines as they are.

Any new cars being added with features from the last few years should maybe have more modern lines to reflect that, but I don't see Seat taking my car back from me and replacing it with the new shape Leon just because it's no longer current

It's a way to see things, for sure!

But since LFS is a WIP of a Simracing game, I thought it would be interesting (not fundamental), that this WIP get a visual face lift. You're right about those cars you talked about, but then I ask:

- what about the Seat Ibiza? Still a small hothatch, but much different in style from the 1996 Ibiza, although the performance and car segment is still the same.

- what about the Impreza or the Lancer?

- what about the Fiat Bravo?

As I said, my suggestion doesn't mean to change the cars physics and performance, just the look of it, putting it more "actual" with nowadays design! It doesn't mean they are ugly or something, and it wouldn't have to be a complete redesign of all cars (UF must still be the old Mini look-a-like as the caterhams), but no doubt this would give, at least, a feel of novelty to the game.
+1
+1 to this idea too. I'd like to see newer versions of LFS cars.
Make the car body out of soap. Leave it out in the rain for a day and you'll get a car from the 90's. Leave it out for 2 days and you'll get a car from the 00's.
#14 - Woz
Leave the cars as they are. Make the models more detailed yes but they are the cars they are.

Add more cars, not change the ones we have.
#15 - senn
I'd be happy with one change. Pop up headlights that work. Don't care that there's no nighttime, its like having a car thats a transformer.
+1 on my part, and definitely with the pop-up headlights. However, I can see there being problems with skins and textures, as I myself have custom textures for nearly every car and just under 400 skins.
Oh yeah, there will be a problem... older skins. :doh:

Oh well, now all we can hope for are detailed interiors and new wheels like in the XF/XR's in all cars.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Oh yeah, there will be a problem... older skins. :doh:

and with completely new cars... what? no skins at all?
+/-1.
I agree with this idea, but as long as the car isn't changed too severely.
It would be cool to see an XFG with a restyled back bumper and lights and revamped with other minor changes, but it wouldn't be that cool seeing a Mk2 of the same model replacing the original.
Coming to think of it, I think some cars should get a facelift/upgrade for S3. 1 car and 1 track seem a tad... small. How about

A RB4 with a better interior, similar to a Celica GT4
FXO with the S1 styling kit to make it heavier and more even to the other cars in the TBO class (too fast atm)
FZ5 with 4 medium sized exhausts rather than 2 big oval ones
All cars with Updated wheel drawing system
UF1 needs a proper interior a LITTLE more power

The LX's are simple cars so they don't need upgrades, XF/XR have been updated already and the RAC is a real car, so there is no point chaning it, unless they want the 2005MY version.
Quote from AndRand :and with completely new cars... what? no skins at all?

I think he meant that we need to redo ALL our skins for the cars if that would ever happen..
why to modernize? why not to just bring new cars with new faces? lfs is so fecking boring, must not go even more boring.
i am torn, i realise they are based off cars, but i also wouldnt mind a facelift....

quick question....totally random, when lfs is finalised, will it be a standard .exe, or will it still have all of these folders we can do stuff with
+1 Nice idea
Quote from Feffe85 :I think he meant that we need to redo ALL our skins for the cars if that would ever happen..

if ALL the cars would be facelifted at once

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG