#1 - oshea
New PC
I'm looking to upgrade my computer so what i had in mind buying was,

Nvidia GTX 260 Graphic Card

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-core 550 3.1GHz

4GB Ram

and a non-named 650W PSU

and i'm not too sure what motherboard to get :S
as i don't know if my original is good enough to support these other bits.
what is ur original motherboard?
Instead of noname 650W PSU, you should get Corsair 550W one.
Quote from Shadowww :Instead of noname 650W PSU, you should get Corsair 550W one.

Indeed. Not only would you probably get better performance, but you would get a longer lifespan aswell.
Would you really want your PSU to break down after a few months?
You'd eventually end up spending more money, if your bad quality PSU breaks down early. Specially with such a demanding GPU as the GTX 260.
#5 - oshea
Thanks for the replys,

Ok so i'll get a corsair 550W, I have no idea what my motherboard is / specs how can i find out?

also, where is the cheapest places to get these parts, ebay or ??

edit: used some software found out the motherboard is a Asus M2A-VM

I'm not very computer savy, and i dont understand the whole DDR 2 and DDR 3 thing with ram, if anyone would explain =D
Get them from Scan or overclockers.co.uk.
^ also overclock.co.uk is good <- note; NOT overclockers.co.uk .
Quote from Stiggie :...Specially with such a demanding GPU as the GTX 260...

GTX260 aint "demanding", feels more like i can power it with a 24v battery tbh.. i bought a CM 520w, which i have NEVER ever heard the fan speeding up in. So it cant use much power..
Quote from Feffe85 :GTX260 aint "demanding", feels more like i can power it with a 24v battery tbh.. i bought a CM 520w, which i have NEVER ever heard the fan speeding up in. So it cant use much power..

Ever played Crysis?
the GTX 260 looks massive, i dont know how i'm going to fit that in my computer any ideas on a new case/ mobo
Quote from Feffe85 :Yes, many times. Whats your point?

Crysis is most GPU-demanding game so I was wondering if it's not using much power while Cry, sis!ing too.
Hmmm... A GTX260. Go online and check the dimensions for it. I'd think that unless you were in a miniATX form case that you might run into problems. Regardless, it should be remeddied in the case of removing a HD cage, etc. I have a generic "ULTRA" case, and I was able to fit my 5770 into it.

As they say, you should use the amperage on the 12V rail as a good indication for PSUs. Brand dominance helps too. For instance, Corsair is known for their PSUs. 5 Year warranties! A 550W Corsair should have > ~ 40 Amps on the 12V, which is more than sufficient for the mobo and the 260. Buy 3 120mm fans! You want ventilation, even though you aren't running 3 8800Ultras in Tri SLI

GenesisX
Quote from Feffe85 : i have NEVER ever heard the fan speeding up in.

Is that where you base your conclusion on? It's not about that. Have a look at the wattage it uses by yourself before you think of these conclusions. Ofcourse it depends about which videocard you compare it with. And i for a fact that it consumes quite a lot of power in my setup. (Depending on what you're doing on the pc).
Quote from Stiggie :Is that where you base your conclusion on? It's not about that. Have a look at the wattage it uses by yourself before you think of these conclusions. Ofcourse it depends about which videocard you compare it with. And i for a fact that it consumes quite a lot of power in my setup. (Depending on what you're doing on the pc).

What i meant was; I have (pretty) low-wattage psu, and still i cant get my computer to use enough power for the psu to work hard. so: i have never heard my 520w psu on highload, not even in crysis.

New PC
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG