The online racing simulator
Fix the G25 "Shifter Click" for good!
*** /me is unresponsible for any cock-ups that may arise from you doing any of the work listed below. All work is done at your own risk. If you break it or void your warranty, don't say I didn't warn you! ***

I got sick of the click from my shifter, so I decided to do something about it...

First of all, I followed this thread on RSC to disassemble the shifter unit. I had a look at several guides, most of which suggested putting foam down the centre of the positioning spring (the one that pushes the ball bearing into the slots, to keep it in gear). After doing this though, I found it had little to no effect on the noise, maybe making it a little duller, but definitely not removing it.

There were a few other suggestions, such as putting a piece of tubing around the spring, to keep the bearing from bouncing around and noising. As I sorted it myself, I haven't tried these.

The guy that had originally suggested the foam, had said he replaced the metal ball bearing with a rubber one, but that didn't help. I decided that if it is the ball bouncing off something (the argument is still going over what it is that it's hitting), a plastic/rubber ball bearing shouldn't noise. So I got a plastic ball bearing (from an air rifle), which is also slightly bigger than the original metal one. I also did the realistic resistance mod at this stage, using the old foam I had to make the spring's housing shorter, as the bigger ball is easier to slip in and out of the holes.

Getting the unit back together with the bigger ball bearing and the longer spring was a bitch, but I did manage in the end. Before fully assembling, I made sure to grease up the ball bearing and the holes with aqualube, to stop the bearing from getting jammed and breaking the spring (unlikely, but I don't want to take this thing apart again :rolleyes. Once everything was fully re-assembled, I took her for a test drive. I was simply amazed at the difference!

Not only is it a bit stiffer than before (slightly, it still goes through the gears just as fast, but doesn't feel "ready to fall out" of gear, like it did before), but it is absolutely silent, save the noise of the actual shifter itself pivoting. No more headaches after racing for more than an hour!

I would definitely recommend ALL owners of the old style G25 to do this mod, as it is easy, provided you have the right tools (nothing major. An allen key and 2 different screw drivers...), and can follow the instructions to take it apart and put it back together. The result is phenomenal to be honest, I can finally race into the night without waking the whole house You do have to take your time while taking it apart, and follow all instructions to the letter. But if you do that, I can't see how you could mess it up. I managed in all fairness

I'm not too sure how long it will take the plastic ball bearing to wear away, but they are in endless supply, and it is very easy to change the bearing once you've done it before.

So that's my story, I hope it does help somebody else who was wary of doing the mod, or that couldn't fix it with foam.

I'm fairly sure it will invalidate your warranty, but if it's the old style shifter you have, then it is probably out of warranty anyway
Great!!! I'll check if my waranty ran out and try it out sometime when I do get the time. That shifter click does get annoying but sometimes my head just filters it out :P.

Great discovery though! :P
evilpimp: NICE AVATAR
dougie-lampkin: NICE AVATAR TOO is that a wallpaper or your gf?

and the new G25 still have that click sound or no?
I had my shifter unit open a few times to fix reverse, poorly soldered crap
Will try that mod next time.

@ Mazink: click!
people saying you can send back 1. generation g25,and they give u a upgraded 1,i never had a look tho,but i should.no 6 no rev,no right button on wheel
/me ordered mine some days ago and im getting the first load of G25 Rev B wheels.
I agree with the OP
Made the same modification a few months ago and it's very very nice to have that click gone. One advice for the shifter disassembly; when removing the sliding part below the rotational H-gate/sequential switch knob, be sure to lay it flat on your table and watch what happens. Hope you like reassembling that part :D
I recently took the v1 shifter apart to fix a broken track on the tiny circuit board right underneath the whole shifter mechanism.
With a little bit of wiggling and a thumb holding in the sliding part, I didn`t need to remove that horrible sliding part at all to get the main shift unit removed. I`m glad really since I didn`t fancy the idea of those loose double springs and the little block that lies between them flying out.
Quote from baSh0r :/me ordered mine some days ago and im getting the first load of G25 Rev B wheels.

Tell us what its like - if its a big difference then i'm going to consider RMAing this one for a new rev, once i find the original shifter knob again.
i know its a little off topic but i didnt know they updater the shifter on the g25, when did it happend and what were the changes
Could you post pics/vids please?
I didn't take any while I was doing it, and I'd really rather not take it apart again. I don't know how many more turns those screws will take before rounding

There should be pics for disassembly in the thread on RSC, and if you look at the page with the list of G25 mods, there's even more, and they show the ball and spring out of the housing.

Sorry about that, I probably should've, after getting a new camera and all
I also modded my shifter a few days ago, but I didn't use anything fancy like a plastic ball... I just took a bit of sticky tape and wrapped it around the spring and ball, cut away the excess tape over the ball and put everything together... No audible click whatsoever, I can only hear the gator mesh bending...
Because of the fact that rsc is down, anyone knew where i can find pictures from the open shifter unit ?
#15 - STF
thank you

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG