The online racing simulator
Steelseries Kinzu - From a Gamers Perspective
Just a review I wrote for another gaming forum, if you don't play CSS or games like it you might not understand what I'm talking about half of the time, but I thought I'd share this here since there are still quite a few FPS people about.

Quote :Steelseries Kinzu - From a gamer's perspective.

NOTE: this test was done using a low sensitivity, results may differ using a high sens.

On paper the Kinzu is an almost perfect mouse, aside from the lack of side buttons. Good CPI settings, 1000hz as standard and a really attractive, comfy shape. I was really pleased with the Kinzu when it arrived, until I plugged it in. In windows its fine, the mouse works without the drivers installed but when you use it like this, frequent disconnects are common. I installed the drivers and was still relatively happy with how the mouse was working.

At the perfect time someone asked me to mix, so I took it as an opportunity to give this mouse a keen test and see how it performs in game. I was expecting performance similar to the MX518, however I got no where near this.

After sorting out my sensitivity I tested the accleration, upon moving the mouse slowly (2-3 inches per second) it works well, quite accurate and smooth. Moving it at a medium pace (around 8 ips) there's a whole load of positive acceleration. I checked the drivers and I'd indeed unticked the acceleration - so this was coming from the sensor. Then to my great surprise, moving the mouse fast, but not unrealistically fast like some testers seem to do - It totally skipped! no tracking at all.

I found myself wanting the game to end so I could take this mouse off and never use it again, the inconsistency meant I couldn't aim with any real trust that the bullets will go where I want them to, pushing onto bombsites I didn't trust the mouse that if someone was behind a wall next to me I wouldn't be able to turn around fast enough before the innevitable happens. It felt like for the entire game no matter where I was looking or how fast I was moving around, I was on the edge of the mouse not even tracking at all which really made it alkward to play with.

Upon leaving the game I instantly uninstalled the drivers and put the mouse back in box, I'm intending to get a refund - if they'll accept one.

Sensitivity used while testing:
400CPI
6/11
1 in game
1000hz

(I also tried other sensitivity combinations and polling rate changes, no sensitivity made this mouse better, its always shit.)

Scores:

Build quality: 8/10
Desktop Usability: 8/10
Gaming usability: 2/10
Sensor: 3/10

Overall: 4.5/10

tldr; don't buy

Of all the mouse Steelseries currently make this is the one I would of expected to be acceptable been optical...(such as the other good mouses like ie 1.1 /3.0 DA etc) but meh...I didnt expect it to be loaded with positive or negative acceleration, pritty sure my IE 3.0 has a wee bit of negative but after 500hz I dont think I realy realise it, plus im pritty shit anyway

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG