The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
Nothing wrong with diesels, especially if (like me), most of your journeys are motorways. They're not quite as fun pulling away from lights, but I love my TDI (that red I is massively important, don't you know)
Quote from Kalev EST :Golf Mk2.

Looking for something bigger tbh.

Called up my insurers and got a quote on this for a joke and it'd be the same price to insure. I wouldn't even have to pay an admin fee or anything

It's 2 secs faster to 60, and being a diesel should make overtaking a little easier, and it (apparently) gets 46 MPG. Even if it got 40 it'd still be cheaper to run than my car...

Sorely, sorely tempted...

Also saw this but no idea on mileage makes it a little old - I dont want a 17 year old 318 if it's done 250k miles thanks...
I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a car that's 5 years older than the one you already have.

I know that people like their brand whoring round here but there's about a million other cars I'd rather have than a late-90s box saloon, despite the Merc badge.
It's not going to be terribly fun or characterful. I wouldn't bother spending this much time worrying about fuel economy given the insurance and purchase prices you are looking at. Assuming fuel cost is £1.10/litre and you do 15000 miles a year a car that does 40mpg rather than 30 is only going to save you about £600 a year. You could easily go and buy something more interesting thats cheaper to buy/insure and put the money towards the fuel instead.
I'm not overly worried about fuel economy, but more money in my pocket is nice.

Feel free to suggest something more interesting, mind. I did look at the 340 but it just seemed a bit to slow and clunky.
You won't get something that lives up to your expectations as a driver AND is fuel efficient. The two don't go hand in hand. The Mazda MX-6 is fun (albeit a bit old now) but that 2.5 V6 will be fairly thirsty.
Quote from Dajmin :Nothing wrong with diesels, especially if (like me), most of your journeys are motorways. They're not quite as fun pulling away from lights, but I love my TDI (that red I is massively important, don't you know)

It's a red D and I actually TDI
Ford Sierra XR4i
What if you get one with TDI completely in red?

Is that some sort of rocket ship?
Quote from JO53PHS :What if you get one with TDI completely in red?

Is that some sort of rocket ship?

Nope, it's some sort of gimp who has modded it for no reason other than "COZ ITZ RED LOL IT MAIJKS IT FASTER LAAA"
Quote from BlueFlame :Nope, it's some sort of gimp who has modded it for no reason other than "COZ ITZ RED LOL IT MAIJKS IT FASTER LAAA"

unless he is driving a 110 kw golf iv or seat leon 1m.
TLDR so don't know if I've posted this before but.

Ford Puma or Mk5 Fiesta Zetec S. Just do it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-Vau ... t_W0QQitemZ360188461745QQ

Good for 130 if u get a good one...

Also that pistonheads Astra is supposed to have white dials..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-HON ... K_W0QQitemZ160393325731QQ

170bhp VTEC YO!!! With LSD...

Mk4 1.8 Astra Sports are fun n safe enough... You get trip computer, t.c. cruise control, Electric heated mirrors, 130mph+ (pretty much redline), Will easily outrun an Impreza 2L Sport... Ive had mine over 2 years n its been driven HARD, Only needed original exhaust changed at 120k miles and brake pads...
Civic = Petrol & 33 / 32 MPG, which is lower than i'd like.

Owning an Astra is soul destroying.

Fiesta way too small and just not my sort of car, the Puma is ok but tbh if I was looking at something like that i'd rather just get the Proton Coupe...
Suggestion #2 - BMW 320d e43, 135 HP pre 2001 model.

I'm geussing it'll be easier to fix than the Merc but parts still wont be cheap.

Anything else I should know...? Good economy and affordable insurance make it seem good...
How much are you going to spend roughly?... Older BMW TDis are bad for blowing turbos at higher miles....
Quote from Jakg :Suggestion #2 - BMW 320d e43, 135 HP pre 2001 model.

I'm geussing it'll be easier to fix than the Merc but parts still wont be cheap.

Anything else I should know...? Good economy and affordable insurance make it seem good...

Here's what I was talking about earlier, go and get a small petrol one, will be more fun to drive, more reliable and cheaper to purchase. Don't get hung up on fuel economy and performance figures.
Quote from ajp71 :Here's what I was talking about earlier, go and get a small petrol one, will be more fun to drive, more reliable and cheaper to purchase. Don't get hung up on fuel economy and performance figures.

Have to agree with this, the margin for diesels being cheaper to run isn't really worth worrying about too much now.

That said, I still prefer driving diesels.
Quote : I was looking at something like that i'd rather just get the Proton Coupe...

I'm pretty sure there's a big handling difference between the two as I've never heard of the Proton Coupe, let alone heard anything good about it

BMW servicing is MASSIVELY expensive by the way.
Quote from danowat :
That said, I still prefer driving diesels.

Why so? Fan of the torque are we?
Yeah, pretty much, also, I am a "lazy" driver, so they fit my style.

I also like being able to crawl along in traffic on tickover without touching the clutch or throttle.
Quote from danowat :
I also like being able to crawl along in traffic on tickover without touching the clutch or throttle.

That's what torque was made for!
Quote from danowat :I also like being able to crawl along in traffic on tickover without touching the clutch or throttle.

I'm loving that too. Comparing what it took to keep the 323 moving, the Leon happily growls along in traffic at 750rpm without me touching the loud pedal at all
Keep your Proton, don't take the loan from your Parents, and put the cash you have saved already towards maintaining your car and paying for your Education. Then when you finish university, celebrate by buying yourself something very special, like a TVR Chimaera, or BMW M3 etc.

Oh, and just to add. Don't EVER compare a bloody Proton Coupe to a Ford Puma ffs! A Puma is a much better drive than the Proton.
Don't ever take loans from parents.. they're mental!

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG