The online racing simulator
The Stretching of Skins
(60 posts, started )
The Stretching of Skins
Heya,

Since the Stretching-Template on Master Skinnerz isn't up anymore and alot of people have issue finding the right amount a logo should be squeezed, I took a few hours to make and transparent file for every car using a circle. This can be overlayed onto the skin or simply be watched in any picture viewer, to check how much is needed.

The number in the circle showes how much this part of the skin-file needs to be squeezed.

For Example:
- a squeezed circle with a "65" in it, needs to be squeezed down to 65% of the original size
- a circle with a "0" needs no squeezing at all.
- the arrows show the direction (horizontal or vertical)

What Stretching??

Here is an Example of the problem (provided by GAVD999)

Note: You may discover wierd stretching on special places, where the car shape is curved.
This is due to the skin being wrapped like a picture from a Beamer/Projector.

Comments & Critism welcome!

UPDATE 9. March (FOX)

directlink:
FBM - F08 - FOX - BF1
FXR - FXO
FZR - FZ5
LX4 - LX6
XRR - XRT/XRG
XFR - XFG
UFR/UF1
RB4
RAC
VWS
MRT

gl & have fun skinning

Jaz
Attached images
FBM_Stretching.png
XRT_Stretching.png
FXO_Stretching.png
FXR_Stretching.png
FZ5_Stretching.png
FZR_Stretching.png
LX4_Stretching.png
LX6_Stretching.png
FO8_Stretching.png
XFR_Stretching.png
XFG_Stretching.png
FOX_Stretching.png
addition since 12 files upload are maximum.
Attached images
UFR_Stretching.png
VWS_Stretching.png
RAC_Stretching.png
XRR_Stretching.png
BF1_Stretching.png
RB4_Stretching.png
MRT_stretching.png
#3 - 5tag
Wow!

I think that should help me alot, thank you very very much for this! :bowdown:
AWESOME!

I wanthed to do the exactly the same thing, but now I dont have to anymore.
Well done.
Thans a lot for that! Really useful thing for skinners.
That is Brilliant!

Thank you very much JazzOn
Very useful tool for new and veteran skinners alike. Nice work
Thx a lot guys. Got to say without the master skinnerz pro-kit's it would look... different

I've added the lost BF1, RB4, and UFR/UF1 (wich basicly is only slightly stretched on front and rear).

The BF1 was very difficult and im not sure if these values are 100% correct, but then again its all by eye. I'd like to know the exact % by the Devs, but they have more important things to do, I'm sure
Great effort ! Thanks a lot for that very useful release
Genuine 100% sexiness! Thanks for the awesome release jazz!
áwesome jazzon. Nice work mate.
-
(JazzOn) DELETED by JazzOn
#12 - 5tag
Damn, this is nearly as useful as the MSz kits. Could a moderator pleeeeeaaaase make this thread be sticky?
Can someone explain this stretching thingy to me please?
#14 - 5tag
Quote from jrd.racer :Can someone explain this stretching thingy to me please?

On skin files height and lenght of many body parts are not related 1:1.

That means drawing a circle on the skin file most likely results in showing an oval shape on the actual car.

In order not to distort any logos or letterings on the skin, all that has to be streched/compressed accordingly.

This effect is not quite noticable at first sight but skins with corrected symbols etc. will just more likely look "alright".
#15 - 5tag
Sorry, for the double post, but I just noticed something.

I'd like to ask you JazzOn: How did you find out the values?

I just checked out the FZ50. Your file says that the top and the sides are streched differently. However you will discover what I'm pointing out by yourself but I'll explain it though. I drew some straight lines on the file from the top of the car to the right side. Then I checked it in CMX Viewer with the view from the right (having zero degrees field of view and thus no distortion in perspective). The lines do still line up, all of them.

Conclusion is: Top and side panels cannot possibly be streched differently, could they?
Attached images
streching.jpg
Yes, I noticed that too 5tag, its for every car like this. The top layer and the right side line up.

But still, a circle on the top layer is stretched when not sized down with the amount i marked. How that works.. I have no idea.

Edit: to answer your question: there was no re-re-re-sizing or something. All spots made out of a perfect cycle, using selection circle tool with fixed aspect ratio, and only squeezed 1-Time. Would be pointless otherwise xD Feel free to make a test yourself. If im wrong i'd like to know!

Edit2: thinking again about it. I guess it could come due to the curvin of the top layer. The diff. is 20 on the FZ but 15 on the XR and FX. Wich leads me to revisit the FOX again, since the nose falls down heavily (if you know what im mean) and I did not marked the end of the nose. Will fix that soon. (Edit: fixed the upper wingblades and nose-end wich indeed has a diff. value.)

Quote from jrd.racer :Can someone explain this stretching thingy to me please?

on a side note: make copy on these files as a jpg and check it in the viewer. The result should be that all circles you see, on spots where usually logos are placed, are perfectly round on the actual car.

PS: here is a bit info and there was another thread with a good post by maggot but i can't find it
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=273717#post273717

or here at MS'z an old thread http://skinnerz.proboards.com/ ... amp;thread=941&page=1
#17 - 5tag
Quote from JazzOn :Yes, I noticed that too 5tag, its for every car like this. The top layer and the right side line up.

But still, a circle on the top layer is stretched when not sized down with the amount i marked. How that works.. I have no idea.

Edit: to answer your question: there was no re-re-re-sizing or something. All spots made out of a perfect cycle, using selection circle tool with fixed aspect ratio, and only squeezed 1-Time. Would be pointless otherwise xD Feel free to make a test yourself. If im wrong i'd like to know!

I did that. When I tried they did not fit the shape of a perfect circle. See attached image.
Attached images
streched.jpg
wow... well then **** this thread ^^But thx for feedback. At least i was close... i even dare to say the circle on the side a bit smaller in your pic and centred it would work.

What value would you suggest then? Should only be 2-3 % off?

PS: if you're bored would you check them all? ATM im a bit fed up with this. If not i'll check again using your method. I just checked by 'eye'
#19 - 5tag
Quote from JazzOn :wow... well then **** this thread ^^But thx for feedback. At least i was close... i even dare to say the circle on the side a bit smaller in your pic and centred it would work.

What value would you suggest then? Should only be 2-3 % off?

PS: if you're bored would you check them all? ATM im a bit fed up with this. If not i'll check again using your method. I just checked by 'eye'

I'm very sorry for you.

I understand if you can't be bothered to do all this stuff again.
However the method I would have tried to use in the first place would be [I deleted that part^^]

btw: I checked the one in my previous post using the circle selection tool holding down the Shift-Key which locks the aspect ratio to 1:1 thus being a perfect circle.

Edit: I just made something sure. On the attached image the back wheel fits a perfect circle selected as mentioned above.
you are killing me, man. I don't know about your method to find the value using wireframe. It might hide errors too, simply because of the thikness of the strings.
Anyway, appreciate your feedback (just wished you had Pm'ed me in first place).

I started this as a guide but now we can as well make it kinda perfect. Im tempted to spam the devs to know the exact value.

I'll get on it on the weekend.. cant focus now and will be away for 2-3 days, depending on what day is right now.
#21 - 5tag
Quote from JazzOn :you are killing me, man. I don't know about your method to find the value using wireframe. It might hide errors too, simply because of the thikness of the strings.

I don't understand. The wires are very thin that should be very accurate.

Quote from JazzOn :Anyway, appreciate your feedback (just wished you had Pm'ed me in first place).

Should I delete the post? If I do and you get rid of that quote nobody'll ever know! :shhh:

No really, I'll delete that.

Quote from JazzOn :I started this as a guide but now we can as well make it kinda perfect. Im tempted to spam the devs to know the exact value.

I thought that too. The may not bother though but surely try it! (I guess they don't know themselves )

Quote from JazzOn :I'll get on it on the weekend.. cant focus now and will be away for 2-3 days, depending on what day is right now.

Dude...

It's Tuesday now by the way.^^
hehehe

no let it... its a mistake and wil be fixed anyway, hopefuly.

And YES!!!111
I knew its the beginning of the week. Everything like i planned
well at least i kinda understand now.
tnx jazz and 5tag.
#24 - Gunn
Hi & nice work.

The stretching on the cars is not uniform in any way. Imagine a sheet of thin rubber being stretched over the 3D model. So, for example, where you may be able to determine the ratio for the side of the car, you may find the sides of the bumpers and/or wheel arches have a different ratio again.

The side pods of the open wheeler cars also present a challenge for stretching, and you may find that some further tweaking is needed even after taking the general stretching into consideration.

You've done a great job and provided a very good representation of the way the texture is mapped around the model, showing how different zones of the car skin can suffer different amounts of stretching.

If skinners just keep in mind that some tricky areas might be even more distorted than the general ratios shown, they should find your guides very useful indeed. Nice work
#25 - 5tag
Quote from Gunn :The stretching on the cars is not uniform in any way.[...]

I do not agree. I always thought and still think that the skin is not mapped around the model. It is in my opinion mapped at the model in a way that is exactly parallel to one of the three dimensions.

Please have a look at a skin I did!

View the file in CMX Viewer and note both "Djarum Black" logos at the end of the car. They appear not to be distorted on the surface.

You will however note that I had to actually distort them on the skin file to achieve this.

The Stretching of Skins
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG