The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
I laughed so hard.

I think at around "0:16", when the car was only slightly moving.
cause 4-wheel lockup is always the safest way to go

then open the doors when it is barely moving, just to stay in, so you can get almost run-over

i gotta learn from these people
Brr was cold this morning in Colchester.
Attached images
Photo-0001_1.jpg
Photo-0002_1.jpg
Photo-0003_1.jpg
Photo-0004_1.jpg
Photo-0005_1.jpg
Photo-0006.jpg
Quote from J03130 :WOW crash that's amazing!!!!!!!

It never snows enough here for us to need them.

I know i've mentioned it before... and i know i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...

For Pete's sake, what are you UK guys stupid or something? Look at the image crashgate posted, look at the videos posted in this thread, then danthebangerboy managed to curb his wheel, etc, etc.

But you lot all keep saying "nah, we don't need snow tyres here in the UK". Seriously! *facepalm*

I start thinking it's all just an excuse so you lazy arses can stay at home when there's a bit of snow and ice on the roads... "Ohh noez! Can't get to work/school, there's white stuff on teh roads, OMG!!!".

illepall:bananadea
Quote from jibber :I know i've mentioned it before... and i know i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...

For Pete's sake, what are you UK guys stupid or something? Look at the image crashgate posted, look at the videos posted in this thread, then danthebangerboy managed to curb his wheel, etc, etc.

But you lot all keep saying "nah, we don't need snow tyres here in the UK". Seriously! *facepalm*

The last time something happened on this kind of scale in this country was about 1962. Unless its going to happen more frequently, there is little point taking massive precautions for an event that occurs about every 50 years.

Quote from jibber :I start thinking it's all just an excuse so you lazy arses can stay at home when there's a bit of snow and ice on the roads... "Ohh noez! Can't get to work/school, there's white stuff on teh roads, OMG!!!".

You can say what you like, but the net result is we get a day off, and you don't, so you lose, mug. :mischievo

More seriously though, there are actually parts of the country that are snowed in pretty badly, this isn't just a case of 'some white stuff on teh roads', away from large towns there has been substantial falls by anyone's standards and temperatures have been around -20 at night. Of course because you're evidently so ignorant you wouldn't know that.
Quote from 5haz :You can say what you like, but at the end of the day, we get a day off, and you don't, mug. :mischievo

And have fun going to school until July or not getting paid for work

Quote :More seriously though, there are actually parts of the country that are snowed in pretty badly, this isn't just a case of 'some white stuff on teh roads', away from large towns there has been substantial falls by anyone's standards, of course because you're evidently so ignorant you wouldn't know that.

"Snowed in" would have to have snow measured in feet, usually enough to be measured in meters for you metric folks. It hasn't stopped snowing for 2 weeks here. Although the idiots on the roads here are acting just as you guys are and panicking. The difference is, we are good for this every couple of weeks through the winter every year, not every 50 years . Thus people here should be use to it.

Roads are covered in packed down snow and have been for 2 weeks. May as well be completely clear as there's a ton of grip. People don't go by the actual road conditions and instead panic because there are snow flurries flying in the air.

Just 2 days ago, roads were completely passable, yet I caught up to a 4WD SUV doing 30 mph while I was traveling along just fine at 60 in my little tiny car. He had cars backed up 10 deep behind him. We also have the "speed up to 60 then ride the brakes down to 30" folks on the roads. Those are the worst folks and the cause of most of the accidents.
Quote from mrodgers :And have fun going to school until July

We do anyway.

Quote from mrodgers :"Snowed in" would have to have snow measured in feet

In rural areas some people have had over a foot of snow.

What I'm trying to say is this is not average UK winter weather.
Quote from 5haz :You can say what you like, but the net result is we get a day off, and you don't, so you lose, mug. :mischievo

More seriously though, there are actually parts of the country that are snowed in pretty badly, this isn't just a case of 'some white stuff on teh roads', away from large towns there has been substantial falls by anyone's standards and temperatures have been around -20 at night. Of course because you're evidently so ignorant you wouldn't know that.

I have a nice job where i'm pretty much my own boss, if there's not too much work i can take a day off whenever i feel the need to, so you lose.

I was driving in mountain areas in switzerland where there was thick snow and ice on the roads, where temperatures drop to almost -30 degrees at night, with snowfall up to 2 meters and more. I did this with a 944 turbo with cup suspension (low and stiff) with 245's in the rear, and i still made it through... apparently they were winter tyres tho...
Quote from jibber :I have a nice job where i'm pretty much my own boss, if there's not too much work i can take a day off whenever i feel the need to, so you lose.

Good for you.

Quote from jibber :I was driving in mountain areas in switzerland where there was thick snow and ice on the roads, where temperatures drop to almost -30 degrees at night, with snowfall up to 2 meters and more. I did this with a 944 turbo with cup suspension (low and stiff) with 245's in the rear, and i still made it through... apparently they were winter tyres tho...

Well if you live in Switzerland you're prepared for this kind of thing, like I already said its been at least 30 years since we had a winter like this, this isn't the ordinary thing where we get a few cm and everyone takes the day off, a lot of people genuinely can't get to work this time.
Even though many schools and workplaces are closed, I think it's only people living deep in the countryside or at the top/bottom of some massive hill that really can't get to work/school.

Here for example, it's a couple of minute drive over some compressed snow and then you're on the main road which has been gritted
You folks are talking about losing control and crashing though. I am led to believe from most posts in this forum from just about every one of you that you guys are perfect, know everything, and know how to drive.

You guys shouldn't be crashing. There's a difference between losing control and crashing and just not being able to move your car.

I drove through 3 Pennsylvania winters in a (POS) Geo Storm in which at the time, the only tires available in that size was strictly a road performance tire. The car weighed next to nothing and couldn't drive through snow at all. I as a "stupid american" never crashed or lost control of the vehicle. My only issue was getting moving in the snow. Thus, I don't see why the perfect know everything folks in the UK can't cope with a little bit of snow because that is really all you have, a little bit of snow.

Of course, as for the video on folks sliding on the ice, there isn't a thing you can do in that situation if you need to stop. Locking up the brakes obviously is going to cause you to slide when on a downgrade, but letting go of the brakes isn't going to stop you either.

I do recall you guys posting the well known video of people sliding on ice (posted again a while back on this thread I think) and commenting on "stupid americans..." Yet now we have videos of UK folks in the same situations doing the same thing, but you all would be offended if us in the US said, "stupid brits."

Glad to see the shoe is on the other foot.....
There are stupid people in every country.
Quote from jibber :I have a nice job where i'm pretty much my own boss, if there's not too much work i can take a day off whenever i feel the need to, so you lose.

I was driving in mountain areas in switzerland where there was thick snow and ice on the roads, where temperatures drop to almost -30 degrees at night, with snowfall up to 2 meters and more. I did this with a 944 turbo with cup suspension (low and stiff) with 245's in the rear, and i still made it through... apparently they were winter tyres tho...

realyy off topic but what car is that in your avatar is it a 355
Quote from mrodgers :You folks are talking about losing control and crashing though. I am led to believe from most posts in this forum from just about every one of you that you guys are perfect, know everything, and know how to drive.

You guys shouldn't be crashing. There's a difference between losing control and crashing and just not being able to move your car.

I drove through 3 Pennsylvania winters in a (POS) Geo Storm in which at the time, the only tires available in that size was strictly a road performance tire. The car weighed next to nothing and couldn't drive through snow at all. I as a "stupid american" never crashed or lost control of the vehicle. My only issue was getting moving in the snow. Thus, I don't see why the perfect know everything folks in the UK can't cope with a little bit of snow because that is really all you have, a little bit of snow.

Of course, as for the video on folks sliding on the ice, there isn't a thing you can do in that situation if you need to stop. Locking up the brakes obviously is going to cause you to slide when on a downgrade, but letting go of the brakes isn't going to stop you either.

I do recall you guys posting the well known video of people sliding on ice (posted again a while back on this thread I think) and commenting on "stupid americans..." Yet now we have videos of UK folks in the same situations doing the same thing, but you all would be offended if us in the US said, "stupid brits."

Glad to see the shoe is on the other foot.....

actually i tend to agree with a little exeption: stupid brits AND americans.

j/k

with proper tyres(this winter here):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded
Quote from jibber :I know i've mentioned it before... and i know i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...

I start thinking it's all just an excuse so you lazy arses can stay at home when there's a bit of snow and ice on the roads... "Ohh noez! Can't get to work/school, there's white stuff on teh roads, OMG!!!".

No were not stupid we just have nicer weather than you so this kind of thing isnt expected.
Woohoo!

Every school in Ireland closed until next Thursday
Quote from niall09 :Woohoo!

Every school in Ireland closed until next Thursday

What the....?!

Lucky bastards.... We will probably go back on Monday. Unless a new batch falls down during the weekend.
-
(shaun463) DELETED by shaun463
Apparently more snow due for Sunday.
Got to -22.3C in Altnaharra last night, which is 60 miles north of myself where it was a more warmer -15.5C.

No thaw to Feb it seems as it's to get worse before it gets better......damnit.
Quote from jibber :

It is because, as far as im aware, you cannot just go into a tyre place and get snow tyres over here in the UK,i t's just not catered for because it happens so rarely that they are simply not needed.

The only way to get proper snow tyres is to buy autograss/rally tyres off the web, which are road legal but not very cheap!

Its not a case of just drive in somewhere and pick up a set of snow tyres.
Quote from jibber :But you lot all keep saying "nah, we don't need snow tyres here in the UK". Seriously! *facepalm*

To be fair snow tyres are in massively short supply - no garage round here has any in stock and all the internet sites are running low - I actually had to buy some tyres yesterday (needed them same day for my 14" steelies) and the only ones they had in stock in any of the local garages (i.e. ones I could actually get to) was the cheap-o budget ones...

And, for example, where my GF lives there is no way your getting out - her road is a biiiig long hill, getting down it to see her is easy but even with a 4WD and snow tyres your not getting up that tbh...
My Snowman
Attached images
098102_155135.jpg
funny with the 4wd`s. when the first snow fell here i still had my summer tires on,note: 350 hp,no tc summer tires. i didnt lost control,it was almost impossible to go up any tiny hill the other thing when i got to a turn that turns left on a bit of downhill (talking about maybe 15 m) a subaru wagen was spinning out in front of me,first i was like HAH! than i was like wtf?
ah ye... im not american!

I think its just the people dont realize, u cant go as fast in snow as regularly even with the best snow tires ever made. thats when crashing comes. seen people flying 40-50 mph. then i said: see you on the next tree! btw we got 1 inch this morning,its gone already

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG