The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :Låt den rätte komma in - Let the right one in

Beautifully shot, subtle and mostly sensitive vampire film.

Really well worth a watch, sure some people dislike subtitle films, but its a really nice spin on the vampire genre.

It was weird.

And now let me punch the people who prefer [bad] dubbing to subtitles.
The remake will be crap anyway. They always are. These days most of the hollywood movies with a good script come from europe or korea.

EDIT: Or from the past.
Quote from sil3ntwar :Saw Avatar 3D. What a waste of money. Left the cinema rather annoyed.

Jesus F.. Christ people... find some place where they buy biterness, you will become millioners.. :banghead:
Quote from sil3ntwar :Saw Avatar 3D. What a waste of money. Left the cinema rather annoyed.

Looked great, incredible in fact. But storyline and plot was so lazy and lame. I am sure they edited out large bits of the story as well.

Inglorious Basterds was great though, and The Hangover was funny too.
Just watched "Bandits" on IPlayer. Was really good actually. some very good twists and turns in it. I didn't even mind the romance bits of the film. Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton worked very well together.
Quote from Intrepid :Inglorious Basterds was great though, and The Hangover was funny too.

I'd put this as my best movie of 2009 (IB), not that I actually saw many movies last year, but this was the one which had the most impact on me. I'd mostly ignored Tarantino for too long, and subsequently forgotten how violent his movies tend to be. I wasn't prepared for IB- by the time I'd left the cinema I was all shook up. Shockingly good flick.

Quote :
Looked great, incredible in fact. But storyline and plot was so lazy and lame. I am sure they edited out large bits of the story as well.

I haven't seen Fern Gully, but I hear it's almost a direct lift from there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koToK3cnUcs
Quote from Boris Lozac :Jesus F.. Christ people... find some place where they buy biterness, you will become millioners.. :banghead:

Its called an "opinion" Boris
Quote from Boris Lozac :Jesus F.. Christ people... find some place where they buy biterness, you will become millioners.. :banghead:

Calm down Boris. Why is it so hard for you to understand that a lot of people didn't rate Avatar? No ones being bitter, we just though it was a highly overrated film. We cant all be the same you know.

Quote from Electrik Kar :
I haven't seen Fern Gully, but I hear it's almost a direct lift from there...

I haven't seen Fern Gully, but Avatar it seemed to be a complete rip off of Dances With Wolves with lots of special effects to me.

I have to agree, for sheer entertainment Inglorious Basterds was the most entertaining move of 2009 for me.

The top 5 films i saw last year (not necessarily films released in 2009) were, in no particular order:

Inglorious Basterds
Session 9
Moon
El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
Oldboy

with honorable mentions going to
District 9
Slumdog Millionare
Frost/Nixon
The Hurt Locker
Croupier
The Escapist
The Wrestler
Gran Torino
Watchmen
Zombieland
Taking Woodstock

I'm sure I've missed some gems out..i watch so many movies i cant remember what I've seen

Biggest stinking turd of a movie goes hands down to 2012. Utter ,utter crap with no redeeming features whatsoever.

Not a film, but i finally got round to watching all five Seasons of The Wire, usually 2 or 3 episodes at a time. It plays out like a 60 hour film anyway Just the best TV series I've seen.
Quote from danowat :Låt den rätte komma in - Let the right one in

Beautifully shot, subtle and mostly sensitive vampire film.

Really well worth a watch, sure some people dislike subtitle films, but its a really nice spin on the vampire genre.

Agreed, a very good film, but the ending was badly done IMO. (Swimming pool scene.) If you want me to go into detail I'll have to watch the end again to make any sense, and I can't be bothered. But I could think of many better ways to do it.

Onibaba

Took me 2 years to watch this! (New year's eve-new year's day. ) Best film I've seen in a long time, possibly my favourite film. Something about it tickled me up just right. Utterly, astoundingly beautiful, dark and horrific. Please, please watch it.
I dunno, I thought it was a well done ending.

It was obvious, to me, that although she'd "left", or at least told Oskar she had, she didn't, she cared for Oskar alot, so she was watching out for him, luckily for him!!!.
I dunno, I thought it was a well done ending.

It was obvious, to me, that although she'd "left", or at least told Oskar she had, she didn't, she cared for Oskar alot, so she was watching out for him, luckily for him!!!.
Quote from The Moose : No ones being bitter, we just though it was a highly overrated film. We cant all be the same you know.

The way that Avatar was being talked about, including among people in my computer graphics course, you got the impression that the movie was going to change the world or something. I had actually heard or seen little about the actual movie until the first trailer was released, but my imagination had it built up as a film coming very much out of left field, with revolutionary technology and a whole new angle on story telling and aesthetics. When I finally got around to seeing the trailer, I thought that all of the human characters (ie, the whole film) were CG. It looked really great but didn't quite match up to the enigma I'd built in my imagination. After seeing the movie, I thought that if this was Cameron doing something really different, then I'd hate to see the result of him going over old territory. In short, a very entertaining movie but no revolution. The 3D was great but there are even game cinematics being produced these days which look almost as good. Almost.

(i'll concede that maybe as I didn't see the film in the intended stereoscopic 3D I was missing out on something. I've seen a number of recent movies in 3D lately so I'm not sure if I would have experienced much added novelty, but I might go again as a curiosity anyway to see if I'm wrong about that ).

edit: I saw Moon the other night. Imo it offered a far more poignant and interesting take on corporate greed/corruption and unhinged morality than either Avatar or District 9.
Quote from danowat :Its called an "opinion" Boris

Give me a break, that's not normal opinion, call me crazy, but when someone says Jessica Alba is ugly that's not an 'opinion', that is plain and simple rubish, crazy talk.
Ok to say that you feel the film is cliched or something, but 'annoyed'??! COMEE ONN! Can anyone be annoyed by this film?
What irritates me is that people are totally missing the point of this film, it's a one of a kind adventure, almost a dream, that only CGI graphics can give you, there are no real dragons and you can't place a camera on them, there are angles in that jungle that no camera or camera man in the world can acomplish. Instead of people respecting this opurtunity to 'dive' into this imaginary world, they fu*king keep bringing up the 'story' and what not.. This is James Cameroon, if he wanted it, he could of made a better dialog and scenario then both Terminators (and i wouldn't mind if he did offcourse), but that's not the point of the movie..
This films purpose is to make you feel like you've been on a different planet, in 'first person' and did it sucedeed in that.. and it's an obvious mockery of Bush, and America in general.. ok, it's not a first time someone does that, but this is Cameroon's version and the man sure did deserved the right to make his version. He actually transfered his dream about Pandora (he did dreamt it, like he did Terminator) on the big screen and it looks spectacular..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Give me a break, that's not normal opinion, call me crazy, but when someone says Jessica Alba is ugly that's not an 'opinion', that is plain and simple rubish, crazy talk.

Tastes vary from person to person, there's no disputing this.

Quote :Ok to say that you feel the film is cliched or something, but 'annoyed'??! COMEE ONN! Can anyone be annoyed by this film?

Yes.

Quote :What irritates me is that people are totally missing the point of this film, it's a one of a kind adventure, almost a dream, that only CGI graphics can give you, there are no real dragons and you can't place a camera on them, there are angles in that jungle that no camera or camera man in the world can acomplish. Instead of people respecting this opurtunity to 'dive' into this imaginary world, they fu*king keep bringing up the 'story' and what not..

There's a difference between a special effects reel and a film. A film (at least a traditional Hollywood film) requires a functional story, and critiquing that story is fair game.

Quote :This is James Cameroon, if he wanted it, he could of made a better dialog and scenario then both Terminators (and i wouldn't mind if he did offcourse), but that's not the point of the movie..

I don't buy it. He's reportedly been working on the movie for more than 15 years, and yes, that includes the script. It's also the first of his big movies that he's written himself (sole writing credit). Something tells me this fact is not unrelated to the generic/disappointing story that resulted. Dude's a great director, but maybe he should leave the writing to someone else.

Quote :This films purpose is to make you feel like you've been on a different planet, in 'first person' and did it sucedeed in that..

I'll buy that, even if the different planet displayed a certain lack of imagination.

Quote :and it's an obvious mockery of Bush, and America in general..

I'd disagree on this. The armed forces on Pandora are mercenaries--perhaps ex-USMC or US Army, but they're not representative of the US as a country. If anything the movie is about corporate greed, not nationalistic concerns.

(Note: I say all this as someone who saw the movie twice and thoroughly got his money's worth.)
Boris, you can't steamroll someones opinion, just because you don't agree with it.

I am off to see Avatar on Saturday, so I'll give my OPINION then
Quote from Electrik Kar :(i'll concede that maybe as I didn't see the film in the intended stereoscopic 3D I was missing out on something. I've seen a number of recent movies in 3D lately so I'm not sure if I would have experienced much added novelty, but I might go again as a curiosity anyway to see if I'm wrong about that ).

unless you can find a cinema that uses dolby 3d (unlikely) i think you watched the better version
those polarisers take away rather a lot of the colour brilliance

Quote :edit: I saw Moon the other night. Imo it offered a far more poignant and interesting take on corporate greed/corruption and unhinged morality than either Avatar or District 9.

i think moon was rather lacking on the fiction part of the scifi thing
i dont mean that it was missing something what i mean is that the idea was almost too believeable too real too much like something youd expect any of todays fortune 500s to do
also i personally wanted to know more about the blade runner esque 3 year replicant killswitch which sadly wasnt explored in the storyline at all beyond estrablishing that the health of all clones past an present deteriorated quickly after 3 years
oh and a friend keeps complaining how the outside scenes look nothing like the real moon... i guess hes right although i dont remember them that well to have an oppinion
Quote from Boris Lozac :This films purpose is to make you feel like you've been on a different planet, in 'first person' and did it sucedeed in that.. and it's an obvious mockery of Bush, and America in general.. ok, it's not a first time someone does that, but this is Cameroon's version and the man sure did deserved the right to make his version.

Praise goes to the artistic crew and CGI team that probably actually did all the hard work. The film looked fantastic. No one can deny this. But Boris you are on a forum that promotes a product that is ALL about style over substance.

Avatar was just a director's wankfest IMO. Nothing more nothing less. It was NFS with Gran Turismo graphics. Every 5 minutes I can imagine the director sitting there thinking 'I'm so ****ing good'.

The story was just one big '**** you' at America. It was so shallow and patronising. Mind you Cameron kinda spurts his load with all the glorious destruction at the end of the film. Peple get annoyed at Avatar in the same way people ON THIS FORUM get annoyed when you see people saying Gran Turismo and Forza are the height of simulation racing.

Some of us Boris can see through the thinly designed plots and poor scripting. Just compare it to Moose's 'note worthy film' Gran Turino - a film that tackles the concept of being American in a much more thought provoking way. That's a proper film
Quote from Intrepid :Gran Turino - a film that tackles the concept of being American in a much more thought provoking way

Oh dear lord...
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
I'd disagree on this. The armed forces on Pandora are mercenaries--perhaps ex-USMC or US Army, but they're not representative of the US as a country. If anything the movie is about corporate greed, not nationalistic concerns.

Again, you've missed the point. They DO represent US army and US governement. He clearly says in one line "They were soldiers on earth, but here they are mercenaries".. or something like that. It's an obvious represantation of US army and human kind in general... and that Bush'es line "We fight terror with terror"..
If there wasn't for the i*iotic liners like "i didn't signed up for this sh*t" and similiar, the script would've been perfect for this kind of film. The story just works for a film like this, which doesn't need a "you must see me 10 times to get the message" indie, 'smart' kind of story..
There are just epic scenes where you genuinely feel disgusted (and reminded) for beeing a human beeing. Those scenes where everything burns, and you have a slow motion frame of that beautifull horse running all on fire, and an explosion that anihilites them.. Film just made me pi**ed off on myself, and on people even more and it totally placed me on that planet, everything else just didn't matter, he could've said "THIS ISS SPARTAAA" for all i cared..
btw one of the biggest problems with avatar... that place is supposed to have a low gravity (not sure exactly how low but apparently low enough to weaken your muscles) yet everyone and everything moves exactly as if they were on earth
Quote from Shotglass :btw one of the biggest problems with avatar... that place is supposed to have a low gravity (not sure exactly how low but apparently low enough to weaken your muscles) yet everyone and everything moves exactly as if they were on earth

Wow, you have some list with Avatar flaws and you just added that one too Never is it said how low it is, maybe it's 5% lower then on earth, so enough to soften your muscles etc..

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG