How are you going to say '2010?'
(108 posts, started )

Poll : ..... so?

Two thousand and ten
Twenty-Ten
Two thousand and nine plus one
Two zero one zero
try to pronounce it any of these ways, the 11 part ruins it imho
What about the chavs that call it Twenee Ten?

What's wrong with "Twenty-Eleven" or "Two Thousand And Eleven"?
ive been saying "oh ten" for a while...
idk....it seems to drag on a while if you ask me....whatever /offtopic
Quote from brandons48 :What about the chavs that call it Twenee Ten?

Not just chavs
Some Scottish dont pronounce some letters, like 'T' in the middle/end of a word...

Quote from http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/general/scots.html#Pronunciation :In some areas of Scotland (e.g. Glasgow), the final ‘t’ of a word is not pronounced. Instead the throat is closed to cut the word off. Thus ‘bit’ might sound more like ‘bih’ (with a short and truncated vowel), or ‘water’ as ‘wa-er’.

I'll say Twenty-Ten... or rather 'Twenee Ten'
Quote from DavidTiger :Not just chavs
Some Scottish dont pronounce some letters, like 'T' in the middle/end of a word...

I'll say Twenty-Ten... or rather 'Twenee Ten'

Some emphasise the T,

TwenTEH Ten!
Y2KX or simplify with just 2KX.

I've yet to hear anyone to refer to twenty ten. The year 2000 kind of changed everyone from the "nineteen xx" stuff to using "two thousand xx". That was a significant change going from 1999 to 2000. There's nothing significant about going from 2009 to 2010 like it was back then at the turn of the century (before you all jump in, I know the turn of the century was actually 2001....)
Quote from mrodgers :Y2KX or simplify with just 2KX.

I've yet to hear anyone to refer to twenty ten. The year 2000 kind of changed everyone from the "nineteen xx" stuff to using "two thousand xx". That was a significant change going from 1999 to 2000. There's nothing significant about going from 2009 to 2010 like it was back then at the turn of the century (before you all jump in, I know the turn of the century was actually 2001....)

Back in 1901 no-one said "the year is one-thousand-nine-hundred-and-one" They probably said, nineteen hundred and one.. Less syllables you see.

When we refer to 1901 we usually say nineteen o-one or nineteen hundred and one.

Now we come to 2000. or Two thousand, less syllables than Twenty hundred.
Two thousand and one,
Two thousand and two,
Two thousand and three,
Two thousand and nine.... all have very few syllables, but of course twenty-o-nine has less syllables? The thing is, thousand is pronounced very fast so never got beaten by the word twenty. Also it can be expressed as Two-thousand-nine without the and making it even shorter. ALSO, when you say the -o- "oh" part, it breaks up the phrase and makes it "sound" longer.

Now Two thousand and TEN, the same amount of syllables as Two thousand and nine (2009). So my guess is people will keep the same thing going. In fact I do hear people use both two-thousand-and-ten (or two-thousand-ten) AND twenty-ten when talking about 2010. Less have been saying twenty-ten though. It's not so common but still I hear it.

My guess is the pronounciation twenty-blah-blah won't catch on in mass until we are at 2011 and it's faster to say twenty-eleven than saying two-thousand-and-eleven.

I think people don't say Y2K-ten because the phrase "Y2K" sounds very "nineties" and people don't want to sound old fashioned. Nor 2K-ten because a lot of the time people use the "K" suffix when talking about annual salaries or they don't want to sound like a propellor-head talking in megabytes in tha Iraq, everywhere like such as....
why is there no "две тысячи десять" option?
dvatisícedesetpyčo
Quote from squidhead :why is there no "две тысячи десять" option?

Because this is англоязычный форум.

How about two oh! ten? Or thee oh! three?
Twenty-Ten. My life is so fast-paced that I can't use "two thousand and ten"
Dos mil diez >:P
I call it tweeduizendtien!
No doubt the world will adobt what people call it on twitter.
"Thousand" takes more work to pronounce than "twenty," IMO, let alone "two thousand," at least in English.

I find "zweitausand" and "zwantzig" a bit closer in effort, though. In fact I'd probably give the nod to the former.
Two Thousand Ten or Twenty Ten for me.
where's the option for "oh-ten"
When referring to events and things, definitely 'twenty-ten'. Otherwise, I still find it more comfortable to say 'two thousand and ten', as that's what I've been doing for the previous decade. Give it a little while and I'll probably be using 'twenty-ten', 'twenty-eleven' and so on.

EDIT: Using Twenty-Ten now...feels natural.
2k10

How are you going to say '2010?'
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG