The online racing simulator
Logitech G25 versus G27
(31 posts, started )
Logitech G25 versus G27
Hi,

After thoughtful reflexion, I think it would be a good idea to upgrade my nearly 4 years old Momo. I looked at G25s and G27s, and I was thinking What justifies the 100$ difference between both wheels? The only appearant difference is the addition of 4 buttons on the steering wheel, and the removal of the h-shift / sequential shift selector.

Do you think it's worth paying 300$+ for the G27 when G25 sells for around 200$? Considering the only real problem of the G25 is the shifter and Logitech will send you a brand new wheel if you tell them that your shifter broke...
g25 all the way, g27 costs too much, wait an year it'l be price of a g25!
One big change is the the G27 is almost completely silent (as ive heard), has better ffb motors and feels just a bit better. I havnt owned any wheel myself but this is what ive heard and seen. I would go with the G27.
G25, theres no big diffrence between G25 and G27, but G27 cost too much
G27. Most people saying G25 have never owned a 27. it's a bit mmore expensive, but it's worth it imo.
The G27 has helical gears and no sequential stick shift. The former is void because the noise difference in insignificant once you're racing (i.e. even the G27 will wake up a sleeping girlfriend next to you or the parents next room) and the latter is a disatvantage if you ask me. The H-gate shifter is better, but still feels like a toy, so you might as well take the G25 and have a stick sequential.

The pedal spacers and mounting points are neat, but Niels's product is better and a G25 with it is still way cheaper than a G27.

I would have recommended a G27 if it came with a load cell, but since all the alleged improvements are mere childsplay, it's not worth (more than) twice the money a G25 will set you back.

Also, the G27 is HIDEOUS! But that, of course is, a matter of personal taste and preference.
#7 - Zay
Yes, I had the same question, as I got a G25 4 xmas and now im feeling better that we never went with G27, as most ppl seem to say G25 all the way.
#8 - CSU1
Quote from hazaky :One big change is the the G27 is almost completely silent (as ive heard), has better ffb motors and feels just a bit better. I havnt owned any wheel myself but this is what ive heard and seen. I would go with the G27.

There is fail in your post as you can't of heard it if it's silent FTR

Nobody here got a G27 and a G25 for comparison yet?

I imagine the G27 is obviously better

Why would they make it worse than the old G25...
It's not about making it worse, it's about improving one or three things and selling it twice the price of an item that's almost identical.
Quote from CSU1 :Why would they make it worse than the old G25...

They didn't make it worse per se, they just overpriced it considerably. It's got a couple more buttons, helical gears (which are smoother, admittedly), a sturdy H-gate (at the expense of the stick sequential) and the flexible pedal mounts. Like I said, though, Niels's pedal kit is better and the shifter still doesn't feel like you're actually moving gears around.
Logitech priced it to compete with Fanatec, which it can't. Instead they should have set it closer to its older brother, say 200€ instead of 330€.
Forget Logitech, go for the Fanatec GT3 wheel. Pedals alone are worth it. Besides, the G25 and G27 don't lost. They're fun for a month or two, but then they start to brake, make noise etc.
Even my main bearing (plastic :reallylike everything in it)) broke. The plastic gear are making alot noise, even after I re-greased it. The shifter feels like a 5 dollar toy. Same goes for the G27. Underneath, besides the cogs, the G25 and G27 are 99% the same. A classmate of me has the G27, and I have the G25, and I kinda surprised it's totally the same...
It's not quite that bad, the G25 is the best value for money of any wheel currently available. The Fanatecs are great, but the Clubsport pedals cost more (!) than the whole G25 and even the GT3 RS, Fanatec's cheapest, is ~20€ more than the G25.

I've had my G25 for 2 years and a bit, only thing that broke is the shifter (several times, always something I could fix myself). The wheel is still in mint condition, done over 50000 virtual km without any signs of wear apart from the leather getting a bit thinner obviously
Agree, the G25 is butter bucks for the money ...
Hey guys, i own a G27, just got it few days ago. Not really my choice but it was selling way cheaper than G25 here. I'd say its really dissapointing that it didn't have sequential shifter as some cars in other games forces you to use the Paddle Shifters and i wouldnt be able to shift while cornering. I don't think noise would be a problem if you wanna play simulators like LFS
Quote from Bose321 :Forget Logitech, go for the Fanatec GT3 wheel. Pedals alone are worth it. Besides, the G25 and G27 don't lost. They're fun for a month or two, but then they start to brake, make noise etc.
Even my main bearing (plastic :reallylike everything in it)) broke. The plastic gear are making alot noise, even after I re-greased it. The shifter feels like a 5 dollar toy. Same goes for the G27. Underneath, besides the cogs, the G25 and G27 are 99% the same. A classmate of me has the G27, and I have the G25, and I kinda surprised it's totally the same...

Mine still works great after +/- one year, maybe it has gotten abit noisier but i don't mind. I agree about the GT3 pedals though.
I haven't had problems with my G25 over a period of what I think is 2 years, but I don't think $100 just for 4 more buttons, quieter FFB, and a reworked shifter is a bit too much in my opinion.
anyone who has it have anything about the shifter, how is the g27's compared to the g25
the G27's shifter feels way better then the G25's, but it's still not close to real.

I also think that you have to take a look at what types op racing you are using it for. I see most people are grippers and then i do understand that you choose the G25. But as a drifter, i don't need a ****ing sequential shifter. I've had one on my DFP, but since i have an H-shifter i don't want anything else. And i hate noises comming from the wheel, because real car steering wheels don't make noise either and sometimes i'm still playing when my parents are already sleeping, so i want a silent and good wheel.

You can continue this discussion till Logitech brings out a G29(if they do), but it's all about personal taste and this subject has been discussed many times.
Anybody who have a G27 and a former G25 could tell me if the G27 is slower doing the calibration when you connect it to the pc? I saw G25 videos on youtube doing the initial calibration and it seems that my G27 is slower doing the first turn. On the last half turn it goes a bit faster, but I dont know if it is working well

Thank you
Wow, how most of the people here judge the G27, while they haven't even driven with it. How the **** can you base your opinion on that?

I have at a Multimedia event, and I can clearly say that it's a lot smoother than the G25, and it feels a lot more realistic than the G25 which i have right next to me right now.
If you've ever driven a real (road) car, you can feel how fluent and easy the steering works. The G27 does exactly the same thing, there's not 1 trace of grind in the steering anymore.. which also makes you ''feel'' the car you're driving alot better. I also noticed that you can control the ffb alot better, because the grinding from the old G25 is gone.
The issue about the sequential shifter imo, isn't that much of an issue, as I myself usually only use the flappy paddles on the wheel. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to drive with the shifter at the event, so i can't make an opinion about it.
The reason why they didn't change anything to the pedals is beyond me, as they could have improved alot of little things about it.
Whenever the price drops low enough, i'd say: go for the G27.. as those little upgrades aren't worth the 100$ more. So for now, the G25 is the best bang for your buck.
ya, the power steering makes the steering very lightweight, and smooth....and if the g27 brings that on, then that is a world of difference right there
#22 - zapz
Quote from Stiggie : there's not 1 trace of grind in the steering anymore.. which also makes you ''feel'' the car you're driving alot better. I also noticed that you can control the ffb alot better, because the grinding from the old G25 is gone.

Are you saying there is no cogging at all? That would be great, even the Frex FF wheel isn't perfectly smooth and suffers from cogging.

Cogging BTW comes from the FF motor, not the gears.
There is cogging in the G27, not as much as the G25, but alot better. Cogging comes from the gears, and motor, I've made new gears on my G25, and it was alot less, even less then a new stock G27. Still, someone I know has a GT3 wheel, and that has alot less cogging, because of the belt drive, instead of the stupid cogs. Never tried a fanatec before, but I can't imagine it has cogging, because it has no cogs/belt. And the motor from it is totally different from the logitech crap motors.
Pretty sure they both use Mabuchi motors, the Fana a single RS 550 and the G25 a pair of 500s. The Fana is hardly superior in that department
howd you replace the gears

Logitech G25 versus G27
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG