The online racing simulator
Adjustable Auto-Clutch
(16 posts, started )
#1 - Hahni
Adjustable Auto-Clutch
I like to have control over the biting point. At the moment it is around (edit) 2000- 3000 rpm. But the power output is sometimes to low there (depends on car).

Hahni
The cluch is very basic on LFS at the moment. And if we have ajustable biting points, this wont be very real???

(You cant do that in a normal car, but maybe racing - correct of wrong please)

I would like to see different biting points on the cars, and a cluch where you dont have to push it fully down to engage gear (stated in another post)

Cheers,
#3 - Hahni
I'm sure you can setup a real auto-clutch. A clutch would be useless, if I can't adjust force for open/close.

Maybe its enough to set different biting points for different cars.
Maybe I buy me a third pedal =).

But some change would be great.

MfG

Hahni
You you mean the revs the auto-clutch works at, or the biting point of a manual clutch? Auto-clutch doesn't have a biting point as such, cos it's automatic...

If you want to change the rpm's, then use your gearing. I've never found any car have too low power (or torque) to move away (apart from the UF1000, but maybe that's cos of the rice-pudding skin I was dragging).

If you want to change the biting point (and I think these needs to be done, but I don't have a third pedal so I don't know), then you first need a 3rd pedal.
#5 - Hahni
yes i mean revs the auto-clutch works at. My english is not very good =).

Adjusting the gears has no affect, the revs stay the same.
I have the problem especially with the FXR (edit) on astion national. With my actual gear settings, I have to set the first gear to short, compared with the second, for proper starting.
Hmmm, I can't say I've driven the FXO much in S2 (probably only offline for movie footage), but I did in S1. And I've never noticed this problem.

If you lower the gear ratio's enough, you'll get enough torque multiplication to move it easily. Then a fairly long shift to second once your moving. Have a look at other people's setups.
#7 - Hahni
Quote from tristancliffe :
If you lower the gear ratio's enough, you'll get enough torque multiplication to move it easily. Then a fairly long shift to second once your moving. Have a look at other people's setups.

That is what I want to avoid. I'm not that experienced racer, but when you clutch manually, you wont hold your clutch at 2000-3000 rpm ?
#8 - Hahni
I'm stupid. Meant FXR instead of FXO, in post above !
Tristan, Auto-clutch does have a biting point. What we have in LFS ATM is closer to a sequential transmission than a "sportshift" auto tranny. Basically that means there's a real proper physical clutch that is computer operated and as all proper physical clutches, it has a biting point.
True!!!

But how do revs affect the biting point. I can make the car move without ever touching 1500rpm. So this figure of 3500rpm or whatever it was above is meaningless. That rpm is set by throttle and gear ratios, surely?

And if you mean FXR, then there is DEFINITELY no problem with engine torque imo.
hmm adjustable autoclutch...i like this option.
probably at synchromesh coding time
Quote from tristancliffe :True!!!

But how do revs affect the biting point. I can make the car move without ever touching 1500rpm. So this figure of 3500rpm or whatever it was above is meaningless. That rpm is set by throttle and gear ratios, surely?

And if you mean FXR, then there is DEFINITELY no problem with engine torque imo.

who are you that you define wether there is a problem or not.
If I have a stiff connection between the engine and the tire, the rpms must drop to 3000 rpm or less at start, otherwise the wheels starts to spin. And we all know that spinning wheels are not the best at start.
Well, I can set off without spinning tyres, in certain cars. But because of the low torque, i find set offs very slow without spinning wheels:

cheers,
:O No need to start accusing me of anything!

I am simply saying that I have NEVER EVER had a problem with bogging down in the FXR, spinning wheels or not... Use the gear ratios for what they are for. I can beat most people off the start line, so perhaps I do know what I'm doing...
OK forget it
Just to add, I use a ratio of 6 : 1 on first gear on the FXR, otherwise the engine bogs down. 4 massively wide super slick sticks offer a lot of reistance to the engine.

Adjustable Auto-Clutch
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG