The online racing simulator
'Silent' Steers?
(13 posts, started )
#1 - pie
'Silent' Steers?
Hi!

I'm using a PS2 Logitech Wheel with force feedback. It's the red one (don't know it's name).

At the moment i'm looking for a new steer... and i'd like to know if there are steers that work like arcade-hall steers. These are silent and turn smooth. The one i got now makes a lot noise when i sweep the steer from side to side.

I'm willing to spend about 200 euro's... can anyone recommend me a good steer?

Cheers!
PIE
Most FFB wheels make a noise when you steer rapidly, because you are having to move the effects motor.

The best steering wheels to use are the Momo Force (Black), Momo Racing (Red, Leather), or the Driving Force Pro (900 degree lock, and also works with PS2).

Pedals are, being Logitech, prone to funny behaviour, so if money allows perhaps get some aftermarket pedals...
#3 - pie
Quote from tristancliffe :Most FFB wheels make a noise when you steer rapidly, because you are having to move the effects motor.

The best steering wheels to use are the Momo Force (Black), Momo Racing (Red, Leather), or the Driving Force Pro (900 degree lock, and also works with PS2).

Pedals are, being Logitech, prone to funny behaviour, so if money allows perhaps get some aftermarket pedals...

Thanks for the feedback... It's it worth it for me to buy a new steer? The steer i have is the old PS2 Grand Tourismo 3 wheel.
Are new ones better?

Cheers,
PIE
I think so, but as I've not used your wheel, it's hard to say.

You'll probably notice the new wheels are more accurate, with more subtle and morte powerful force-feedback.

The DFP, with 900 degrees, will also make every car much more realistic (you don't have to use all 900!)

I have a Momo Force (Black), and I'm happy with it. When it breaks I'll get a DFP.
#5 - pie
Ok, thanks again!
They should have a bunch of steers available for testing in the stores... that would make it a lot easier to for me
Having the DFP, I have to warn you hat it is quite loud too.
No really downside for me, but you saked for a silent wheel...
#7 - pie
Quote from ColeusRattus :Having the DFP, I have to warn you hat it is quite loud too.
No really downside for me, but you saked for a silent wheel...

Well, noise isn't that bad. As long as it steers smooth.
I associated the noise of my current steer with the way it handles... but if the DFP steers smoothly, it's a bigger pre then the sound it makes.
I'd say that the DFP is in fact quite smooth. Still, not wanting to talk you into an acquisition of +100€, you better see if you can try it out yourself... at my area, we have two set up with the F1 game for PS2 at the electronics store.

EDIT: Even more horrible typing than usual...
#9 - pie
yeah... i'll see if there's a shop somewhere where i can try it.
Cheers!
#10 - pie
I just got my DFP! It makes less noise then my previous wheel, AND it's just a GREAT wheel to drive with so i'm happy :-)
Thanks for the advice!
Your welcome
Twas a pleasure
IIRC a member of Ball Racing Developement wrote a FF engine strong enough to work without noisy gears would cost around 5000$. Then if you wanted a gearless optical sensor, you'd spend around 800$.

'Silent' Steers?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG