The online racing simulator
The Dreamliner has finally gone to the skies!
That's right. The Boeing 787 made its maiden flight today.

Oh yeah, and for you "I want mah Scirocco now!" moaners, this bird's first flight had been postponed over and over for more than 2 years, so suck on that!

Well, being a fan of Boeing aircraft, I'm rather optimistic about this one since it's one of the first models of the new generation and it also has some things I hadn't heard of in a plane, like carbon fiber components.

Any opinions for this bird's future?
Quote from Senninha25 :...and it also has some things I hadn't heard of in a plane, like carbon fiber components.

Unless I'm mistaken, carbon fiber was developed, originally, by the aeronautics industry.
#3 - senn
ditto, afaik, thats not anything new..
I doubt it'll be a success initially
ironic that a few years ago boeing were jumping up and down pointing fingers at airbus saying that composites weren't safe enough for comercial aircraft
Quote from MAGGOT :Unless I'm mistaken, carbon fiber was developed, originally, by the aeronautics industry.

That's one fact I didn't know about in aeronautics Back to school I go I guess.
Quote from Senninha25 :That's one fact I didn't know about in aeronautics Back to school I go I guess.

Aye I did my work experience back in the day (sounding old) at Aircelle, and they developed most things with carbon fibre. I was part of a team experimenting different joints and how much stress they could take before they broke. Still have the carbon fibre coaster I made someone haha
Many racing-related "innovations" came from aeronautics. Wings, NACA ducts, composites, uni-body construction, space frame chassis....
Quote from MAGGOT :Many racing-related "innovations" came from aeronautics. Wings, NACA ducts, composites, uni-body construction, space frame chassis....

Duct tape
Quote from MAGGOT :Unless I'm mistaken, carbon fiber was developed, originally, by the aeronautics industry.

It is the first airliner to use a composite fuselage, which saves the weight and cost of fasteners used in conventional aluminium framed planes.
Quote from ajp71 :It is the first airliner to use a composite fuselage, which saves the weight and cost of fasteners used in conventional aluminium framed planes.

...which is exactly what it was designed, by the aeronautics industry, for.
Quote from ajp71 :It is the first airliner to use a composite fuselage, which saves the weight and cost of fasteners used in conventional aluminium framed planes.

and fuel
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I doubt it'll be a success initially

800 orders as of yet, thus it's the most successfull boing airplane launch ever.

they modified the fuselage many many many MANY times because it kept failing.
I'll have a 747 KTHXBAI
I think by and by the A380 hasn't been as successful in a way, but how many of those 800, 787 orders have been from America? :P, then the ones left over are probably all from the middle east. :P
Quote from BlueFlame :I think by and by the A380 hasn't been as successful in a way, but how many of those 800, 787 orders have been from America? :P, then the ones left over are probably all from the middle east. :P

Americans don't like Airbus
Although the delays meant a lot of companies cancelled, there are still 200 orders for the A380. A long-range plane of such giant proportions is never going to sell as well as a medium-range, 'more average' plane.
Quote from ColeusRattus :800 orders as of yet, thus it's the most successfull boing airplane launch ever.

But can it turn a profit after the delays and loss of credibility?

Also, look at where the orders are from

EDIT: How does it stack up not just in terms of a Boeing launch, but out of all aircraft?
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Although the delays meant a lot of companies cancelled, there are still 200 orders for the A380. A long-range plane of such giant proportions is never going to sell as well as a medium-range, 'more average' plane.

Well, yeah. That's an obvious fact; since the A380 is huge, it makes more sense to use it only for long-range intercontinental flights. Being those flights longer and less frequent than those short to medium range flights, the A380 won't be used as often as a 757 or A330 will be when it comes to the flight statistics.
Plus 2 engines eat a lot less fuel than 4 engines+the enormous size. The 787 has air nippon as launch customer btw and oddly enough does have good range for a medium size aricraft. The a340 might be good but its a gas guzzler. The 330 and 320 are good but still airbus costs a bit more to service than boeing too.
Jets need to be getting smaller, not bigger. I'd rather fly in a smaller airplane to whatever airport I want rather than fly with 700 other people (and their disgusting, crying, screaming children) to a huge hub airport then drive 4 hours to my actual destination. I think the hub and spoke system is on its way out and the future of air travel will be more like an airtaxi that you take with 10-15 other people.
Depends where you go. A 737-size aircraft isn't going to get from Europe to Australia. Huge aircraft and Hubs are the only way to do flights of that length.

Conversely, running an A380 on short domestic routes just wouldn't be cost-effective.
Quote from flymike91 :Jets need to be getting smaller, not bigger. I'd rather fly in a smaller airplane to whatever airport I want rather than fly with 700 other people (and their disgusting, crying, screaming children) to a huge hub airport then drive 4 hours to my actual destination. I think the hub and spoke system is on its way out and the future of air travel will be more like an airtaxi that you take with 10-15 other people.

But then, ticket prices would skyrocket.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG