The online racing simulator
Edit my screenshot
(2126 posts, started )
Quote from Greboth :Just done one of the 2 lx6's
Was aiming for the camera following the black lx6 so its in focus and everything else blurred but im not that happy with result.
Let me know what you think.

Great edit!
All I was seing in this thread was clichés (light edits, night, rain, grain, blur and old-school edits). What happened to originality and self-thinking?

Quote from Wikipedia.org about clichés:
"It has since come to mean a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel."
Attached images
subtleties.jpg
Erm, what? Ha.. k.. cough cough.
Quote from evans :All I was seing in this thread was clichés (light edits, night, rain, grain, blur and old-school edits). What happened to originality and self-thinking?

Quote from Wikipedia.org:
"It has since come to mean a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel."

O/T I think the reason so many edits are done the same are because like me people are learning how to edit the shots and cant do much else.
Quote from boxer :Erm, what? Ha.. k.. cough cough.

Maybe you can tell me what the hell your post was all about?

Quote from Greboth :O/T I think the reason so many edits are done the same are because like me people are learning how to edit the shots and cant do much else.

That's probably true, but still, considering that most people here are using Photoshop, your options are not that limited to blurring or over-exposure, even if you're a beginner. Simply experiment your way through it, instead of doing what everybody else is doing.
To get you started, here's a site that offers hundreds of good Photoshop tutorials, easy to understand: http://www.good-tutorials.com/.
-
(Vain) DELETED by Vain
Quote from evans :Maybe you can tell me what the hell your post was all about?

Sure, when you tell me what yours was about..

Quote from Vain :The reason why people edit blur into pictures is because pictures have blur in them in real life.
The reason why people edit rain into pictures is because there is rain in real life.
Do I also need to talk about overexposure, reflections, gras etc.?

Vain

Exactly lol..
Quote from boxer :Sure, when you tell me what yours was about..

I posted a picture. And then I posted my opinion on the seemingly endless flow of poor-quality pictures, all of which look the same.
Your turn now.

Quote from Vain :The reason why people edit blur into pictures is because pictures have blur in them in real life.
The reason why people edit rain into pictures is because there is rain in real life.
Do I also need to talk about overexposure, reflections, gras etc.?

Vain

If we're going to talk about real stuff, then I also need to add a few things.
When real photographers take real photos in real life, they try to be as unique as possible (except for press-photographers, lolomfghahahaha!!!111elevenone.. piss off).
All of these
bloody edits, whether they are from beginners or experienced, all look the same.
If you were to edit a real photograph, you wouldn't try to make it look more photorealistic, instead you would try to keep it so damn unique that people would be able to distinguish it from everything else in the world and say "I know who made that, that was xxxxxx".
Quote from evans :All I was seing in this thread was clichés (light edits, night, rain, grain, blur and old-school edits). What happened to originality and self-thinking?

Quote from Wikipedia.org about clichés:

Maybe some people like a certain style ... not like theres a design brief is there illepall

Quote :I posted a picture. And then I posted my opinion on the seemingly endless flow of poor-quality pictures, all of which look the same.
Your turn now.

I think many will find that offensive and considering what you posted was hardly a time consuming work of art I'd have kept my virtual mouth shut if I was you. You seem to have the attitude of a know it all and if you are a know it all you should realise that everybody has there own style in how they do there art. Why should someone change this to "look" different ?

If your going to call peoples images poor-quality take a good look at yours and compare it to the likes of Don and Boxer, no comparison - my little brother could have done that ...

Keiran
Quote from keiran :Maybe some people like a certain style ... not like theres a design brief is there illepall

I think many will find that offensive and considering what you posted was hardly a time consuming work of art I'd have kept my virtual mouth shut if I was you. You seem to have the attitude of a know it all and if you are a know it all you should realise that everybody has there own style in how they do there art. Why should someone change this to "look" different ?

If your going to call peoples images poor-quality take a good look at yours and compare it to the likes of Don and Boxer, no comparison - my little brother could have done that ...

Keiran

Who says that art has to be really time-consuming?
I'm not a know-it-all, but I do realise that people have different styles, but I also know that people's styles are not limited to what we see here. You might have this great idea on how to make your picture really stand out from something, but you don't have the knowledge to do so, so instead you just edit it to something that "almost looks like it", which is the reason why people say that they're not happy with the result.
Coloring stuff magneta and writing things like "subtleties unveiled" over it is not everything I do. I experiment with a lot of things and try to realize the ideas that I have.
I know that Don is a good artist, because I've seen some of the good things he's done, but the edit he has posted in this thread is nothing close to extraordinary.
Is mine? Probably not, and I've done better, but like I said, it was an idea, I haven't made anything like it before. Don has made several other DOF, over-exposure, B/C edits in other threads.

And now you can just as easily say "Well not all people like experimenting as much as you do", but you can't say that people don't have their own ideas.
Quote from evans :I posted a picture. And then I posted my opinion on the seemingly endless flow of poor-quality pictures, all of which look the same.
Your turn now.

You really are an offensive git aren't you.. i don't know why im bothering but oh well. A lot of people aim for the same goal in their edit, and that is, to make it look good - either realistic or artistic. People are learning here, and those that aren't are showing their work and offering tips - yet you just seem to be moaning that all the pictures are the same and are poor quality.

You can say that as much as you like, but it isn't true. There are some brilliant edit's done by the guys here, some that really stand out from the rest. Ok, some edits arent amazing, but you have to give the guy who did it some respect for the effort he or she has made.

As for your edit.. i don't like it at all. I think it's pretty cheap and of very poor quality. Not nice is it, hearing those things?

Stop moaning and just face the fact 99% of the people editing pics here are probably better than you. I know you might be thinking im being harsh now, but there was really no need for you to start this in the first place - as Keiran said, you have an attitude problem.

Good post btw Keiran.. couldn't agree more.

As for everyone else.. KEEP EDITING THE WAY YOU WANT TO.. don't listen to this gimp
Quote from boxer :You really are an offensive git aren't you.. i don't know why im bothering but oh well. A lot of people aim for the same goal in their edit, and that is, to make it look good - either realistic or artistic. People are learning here, and those that aren't are showing their work and offering tips - yet you just seem to be moaning that all the pictures are the same and are poor quality.

You can say that as much as you like, but it isn't true. There are some brilliant edit's done by the guys here, some that really stand out from the rest. Ok, some edits arent amazing, but you have to give the guy who did it some respect for the effort he or she has made.

As for your edit.. i don't like it at all. I think it's pretty cheap and of very poor quality. Not nice is it, hearing those things?

Stop moaning and just face the fact 99% of the people editing pics here are probably better than you. I know you might be thinking im being harsh now, but there was really no need for you to start this in the first place - as Keiran said, you have an attitude problem.

Good post btw Keiran.. couldn't agree more.

As for everyone else.. KEEP EDITING THE WAY YOU WANT TO.. don't listen to this gimp

Yeah, I'm just the most offensive blithering idiot in the whole wide world.

Yes, it happens that peopl post an edit sometimes that stands above everything else.
For example, a guy over at BHM named "FolkWaltz!" posted the attached rain/night-edit some time ago, which is one of the only rain-edits I really like, and I have given him credit for his work.

Your comment on my edit does not strike me the least bit, because you were offended by me before, and now you're just trying to make me feel offended as well by using the same words I used to describe the other edits. If you want to criticize what I posted, then you're free to do that, but if you can't describe to me why you don't like it then I can't be bothered with doing anything about it.
Stating that 99% of the people here are better than me is just plain stupid, considering the fact that you have only seen one single picture from 98% (that's including me) of these 99%. You have seen this one picture from me, yet you seem to know exactly how skilled I am.
Attached images
Open practice 24hours.jpg
It wasn't me that started bitching though. I don't see why you couldn't have based your comments on something that wasn't stupid.

Anyway, im adult enough just to get on with what i want to do and leave this discussion behind. You're very welcome to an opinion, just don't insult people next time.
Quote from boxer :"Anyway, im adult enough"

"It wasn't me that started bitching though."

"You really are an offensive git aren't you.."

" Stop moaning and just face the fact 99% of the people editing pics here are probably better than you."

"don't listen to this gimp "

Ohh, riight, I shouldn't insult people.
You're not the least bit welcome to dictate what I can say and what I can't say.
#39 - Smax
Since I appear to be one of those being insulted here I shall wade in and return the favour by suggesting that I've always considered the "openpractice.jpg" to be over rated since it is my opinion that the rain is too bright/white to "fit" into a night time image, and also that the lighting isn't quite right.

That said I do consider it to be a good edit by the standards of some of the things that have been posted, but it's not something to hold up as a shining example of perfection as you appeared to be doing.

As for what I posted on the previous page well it's a 20 min job if that, and certainly not something I'd go shouting about, I just did it for fun.

You are right about two things "art" is subjective, and there is a tendency for the edited screenshots which appear here to be quite similar, or "cliched". If you take the two statements toegether you should realise that whilst we might offer constructive criticism intended to help the "artist" improve, we shouldn't be telling people what to make and what not to.
Evans, sometimes it's hard to be creative and unique. All the unique and outstanding works you are talking about have been done from beginin till the end by the same person. Which includes deciding where to take the picture, what car, how many cars, what skin to use to match the desired theme, what angle to use etc. That's when you get the unique result you are referring to.

However this thread is somewhat different. Here you are given a picture that you have to work with it. Sometimes you can't turn an old piece of rusty metal into gold. No matter how good you are as an artist, how creative you are, or how well you know PS.

Another thing is that we're trying to make a picture look nicer, while keeping it realistic. Sure, you could put an UFO in the background and go nuts with all kind of stuff, but that's not what most of us like here.

I agree that there should be more creativity. However if you look at the edits, you'll see quite some difference between them. And I mean look, not just have a glance, and go "ohhh blur again", this is the same as the rest. E.g. the edit I made may look pretty much the same, but in order to make something else, I decided to go for a sunset-ish, orange theme. Don's picture is distorted and tilted, while boxer's edit has rain, etc etc etc.

As cliche as this may seem, it does involve effort and some skills. You may deduct some points for the edits being "cliche", however you can't deny the fact that there is work involved in this, good work!

If you want more unique stuff, visit the Edits thread, there you'll find more diversity. However you can't expect to see magic here, since the base for all the works here is exactly the same.

I agree that you still can make edits that stand out, and are more unique than others, however if you bash other people's edits, rather than giving constructive criticism, you should show us "how it's done".
Quote from pdanev :Evans, sometimes it's hard to be creative and unique. All the unique and outstanding works you are talking about have been done from beginin till the end by the same person. Which includes deciding where to take the picture, what car, how many cars, what skin to use to match the desired theme, what angle to use etc. That's when you get the unique result you are referring to.

However this thread is somewhat different. Here you are given a picture that you have to work with it. Sometimes you can't turn an old piece of rusty metal into gold. No matter how good you are as an artist, how creative you are, or how well you know PS.

Another thing is that we're trying to make a picture look nicer, while keeping it realistic. Sure, you could put an UFO in the background and go nuts with all kind of stuff, but that's not what most of us like here.

I agree that there should be more creativity. However if you look at the edits, you'll see quite some difference between them. And I mean look, not just have a glance, and go "ohhh blur again", this is the same as the rest. E.g. the edit I made may look pretty much the same, but in order to make something else, I decided to go for a sunset-ish, orange theme. Don's picture is distorted and tilted, while boxer's edit has rain, etc etc etc.

As cliche as this may seem, it does involve effort and some skills. You may deduct some points for the edits being "cliche", however you can't deny the fact that there is work involved in this, good work!

If you want more unique stuff, visit the Edits thread, there you'll find more diversity. However you can't expect to see magic here, since the base for all the works here is exactly the same.

I agree that you still can make edits that stand out, and are more unique than others, however if you bash other people's edits, rather than giving constructive criticism, you should show us "how it's done".

I agree with the most of what you say.

It does take skill and effort, and there is work involved. But sometimes, when you see a screenshot with just some full-pic motion blur you can't help but think that you'd rather vomit in your chair and look at that than look at the other thing.

You mention the edits thread, and actually, that's probably more or less the one I want to refer to in my previous posts. There people can post edits of their own screenshots, and that's where you can really see some cliches. That's where a lot of the rain, blur, DOF or whatever are as boring and dull as the one before it. And like you said, this is where people should have the chance to post something really unique.

I am very aware of the fact that the edits posted in this thread look very different. They look very different compared to eachother, but if you compare them to 50% of the pictures in the edits thread you'll see that they can be fitted into a number of categories, and when the pictures are divided into these categories you don't have a hope in hell of telling who made what edit.

At least your edit had some originality to it. I also like that you added some clouds in the background.
Hey Evans, stfu already you're boring. Seriously. Shush.
@ Evans,
Stop trolling.

If you want to b1tch about the quality of people's edits, go make another thread and see what response you get.
Just messing about... may do something more in depth at a later date
Attached images
bloods.jpg
Heres my attempt
Attached images
mypic.jpg
#46 - Smax
Nice concept.

You just need to be a bit more careful when you cut the car out and be a bit more precise to avoid the unblurred bits underneath the car.

As it is you could use the smudge tool to blend the sharp edges of your image into each other.

Anyone else with a monster vid card got a nice pic? I'd post something myself but I can only do 4xaa @ 1024x768 and it would look crap
Some more raw ones for people to have a crack at.
(that sounds quite bad if you take it out of context ...)

Dunno what can be done with 03.
Attached images
pic01.jpg
pic02.jpg
pic03.jpg
#48 - Smax
I don't want to be too critical since you've answered my request and your screenshots are much better than my system is capable of, but would you grab a few nice skins? Since imho plain black cars are bit...well....plain
Quote from Smax :I don't want to be too critical since you've answered my request and your screenshots are much better than my system is capable of, but would you grab a few nice skins? Since imho plain black cars are bit...well....plain

Fair call, though my scenario for these was maybe an F1 testing session of some sort. Also, I didn't have any BF1 skins that were hi rez enough.

I might go and find some.
#50 - Smax
My system did better than I thought it would, so I will stick one shot up, although it's obvious I can't get better than 4xAA

Edit my screenshot
(2126 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG