The online racing simulator
This can't be happening !!!
(25 posts, closed, started )
To NOT have an installer was one of the best things of this game! where else can you find a program/game who doesn't srew around in your frickin' registry. OS crashed? complete reinstall? no problem just "copy -> paste" and you're good to go. Well not anymore. Thank you so much for THAT.

Why in the world did you think this is what the game needed???
Die Victor!!! Die!!!

No really, do you expect a serious reply on such type of post or what's your intention ?
my god not an install package

this game is ruined
#4 - Bean0
If you had bothered to read the threads about the installer, then you would have discovered that the only registry entry is the install location, and this is only used by the uninstaller. You can in fact, run the uninstaller and remove just the registry entry and not the game if you really want to.

You can still move your LFS folder about the place/backup to dvd/etc as you could before.
As I´ve understood it the installer will simply copy the LFS Folder to your hard drive. So think LFS will work after copy and paste the extracted installation file. Just check it out.
Dude, you need to take a chill pill.

The only thing that is put in to registery is the install dir so that the uninstaller works. Nothing else.

You can copy the folder to where ever you want and it will still work.
if that was the only entry then there would be NO reason to introduce the installer. "... to make it easier for some people ..." yeah, so hard to create a folder and unzip the package.

final thought: if that's to hard, maybe computer games are not for you!
And, like Scawen or Victor once said, you could still unzip the installer with 7zip.

Noob
it IS the best racing game out there. so why go ahead and do this? at least don't make it effin' mandatory!

by the way: file extension assosiation is also done by using ... wait for it ... registry entries.

also i haven't come across any software that uses an installer and still works after OS reinstall just by using the created folder ...
anyway, that havent changed in game actualy and that makes LFS look more profesionall and easier for newcommers, becasue not much games had such instalation and they havent used to it, so i think its only good thing and i dont see any bad affect, also its saves your time by creating desktop shortcut automaticaly :P
Quote from X5-599 :
also i haven't come across any software that uses an installer and still works after OS reinstall just by using the created folder ...

LFS still does. So now please stop your pointless trolling.
^ Also that, you can extract the installer with 7-zip like it was a zip file.
Quote from X5-599 :by the way: file extension assosiation is also done by using ... wait for it ... registry entries.

You can un-tick those boxes.

Quote :also i haven't come across any software that uses an installer and still works after OS reinstall just by using the created folder ...

This is your first then.
I think this deserves a lock.....
this isn't trolling .. it's just an opinion that needs to be said.
if you announce that a new installer will be used and post screenshots which show file extension assosiation AND on top of the say you need to unlock the game again it is definately counter intuitive to assume the game will still support backup folders or allow unzipping.

microsoft have their actice sync mandatory for ipaq handhelds. software can only be "installed" that way. which by the way is not needed because the .cab files just need to be moved to the device.

it is completely rubbish for a developer to fill the systems of users with unnessesary software.
Oh hell, the 2012 apocalypse has come early!
Scavier agree with you, LFS does not require a single registry entry, the installer just adds one and a couple of optional ones.
The unlocking is not related to the installer, it's because the system signature / hashing method was changed so that hibernating wouldn't cause LFS to lock for Vista / 7 users.
Quote from DevilDare :I think this deserves a lock.....

do what you must. but consider this: maybe make it optional to use the installer. don't just put it there and assume everyone wants to compromise their system with installers who, by nature, change your registry in places you can't know from looking at them!
if the unpacking is supported: simply say so. on the news page, not as a remark within fourty pages of users comments rambling on about how great it is ...
Quote from X5-599 :do what you must. but consider this: maybe make it optional to use the installer.

There was talk that it could be a possibility.
I have also liked this feature of lfs that it hasnt had to be installed but it is not such a big deal...
however I think just unpacking was much more practical
Personally I prefer not to use an installer whenever possible, as well. So I understand the OP's concern, although I don't make that big a deal out of it I haven't updated to Z28, btw. I don't suppose you can just extract the installer with Winrar instead of 7zip?
i dont see the point of this thread, although scawen gave the instructions how the installer do not enter any values in the registry. so whats the point? the installer has no disadvantages, but some advantages, so imo it's good to have one
Quote from X5-599 :if that was the only entry then there would be NO reason to introduce the installer. "... to make it easier for some people ..." yeah, so hard to create a folder and unzip the package.

Installer was made to automate extension registering and lfs:// protocol.
Quote from X5-599 :do what you must. but consider this: maybe make it optional to use the installer. don't just put it there and assume everyone wants to compromise their system with installers who, by nature, change your registry in places you can't know from looking at them!
if the unpacking is supported: simply say so. on the news page, not as a remark within fourty pages of users comments rambling on about how great it is ...

Instead of wasting time with your pointless ignorant and catastrophic posts ("compromise their system"...but please !!!), invest some of your time sitting and reading Dev's posts and think about what they wrote, maybe you'll discover that (oh noooo) installer doesn't mess anything up.
I know, it can be difficult, it's going to cost you something, it takes some patience...but maybe you can make it.
Otherwise, since you sound very technical-minded, you can always edit your precious REGISTRY and delete those evil LFS keys by hand, so your system will still be as fast as before, and your boot time will not be decreased by the incredible mess that LFS installer unavoidably caused...
Maybe if there are 40 pages of "users rambling on about how great it is", it means that, in fact, IT IS GREAT, no ?
This installer is one of those installers that doesn't do all those messy and confusing things that many installers do, that you don't like and we don't like.

If you read the Patch Z28 thread, you'll find there is a very simple way to leave your registry unchanged. If you find, by following those two steps, there is anything LFS related in your registry, that would be a bug and we'd be very pleased to hear hear about it.

Until such time, please be happy that you have finally discovered an installer that doesn't do those things that you don't like about installers.

No need for this thread any more. Anyone who reads the Z28 announcement will discover this is not a valid complaint. And we haven't heard any bug reports about the installer.
This thread is closed

(25 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG