The online racing simulator
Nice work.

Could you tell us anything about other updates which will make s2 'final'?
- Improve collision physics
- Break off wings instead of bending
- Finish and release Westhill updates
- Improve track shadow rendering
- RB4 / UF1 / UFR interiors
- FZ/GTR/FXO interior updates
Quote from zeromussov :Nice work.

jeez buddy you forgot, !!! FZ INTERIORS MOST IMPORTANT OFF ALL!!!
These are some pretty exciting features, thanks for sharing the info
lal, ok.. + FZ/GTR/FXO interior updates
Will there still be an option to not have limited setups? Or will it be limited all the time?
Quote from tristancliffe :... implying the whole tyre can smoke as it would during a burnout), and the conditions that cause it to be generated. Also, the conditions for it stopping as well - lockups are great if they cause smoke, but the puffs/residual smoke on the following straight are clearly not right...

it would be great to sitting in a single seater and seeing your tire smokeing after the race, but i doubt the changes will bring that result. i guess (and im no expert clearly) this could only be done with partical effects and such new technics (newer than DX9/8.1) ATM a "puff" is all that can be produced.
This is really compelling stuff that you're working on Scawen. I'm confident it's worth the time it's taking and that it will take simulation racing to the next level!

Best of luck!
Quote from zeromussov :Nice work.

- FZ/GTR/FXO interior updates

The bold is already done. And by the way, those thing were just a plan.

Quote from Nick. :Will there still be an option to not have limited setups? Or will it be limited all the time?

Just read It will be a host option.
Fantastic with a report of current developement. Keep it up and i look forward to the new patch when there is such nice things in it
That looks great!

I just have one question, about the smoke, and even if I most likely won't get an answer on this I'll ask it anyway -

How will the tyres now "spawn" smoke? Lets say you get a high-speed spinout in a race. In a lot of real life situation that would invovle much smoke all over place that would cause some action for the people behind.
So far in LFS the only way to produce somewhat realistic - like smoke is to get the tyres up to very hot temperaturs and then do a spin to spawn it.

Will the new tyre physics affer this aswell?
Quote from Nick. :Will there still be an option to not have limited setups? Or will it be limited all the time?

Quote from Scawen :For example, in limited setup mode, the standard road cars would only allow tyre pressure and toe adjustments.

He is talking about a mode so I guess we will still play with more setup options while not being in that mode.

btw Thanks for not removing completely all options for us who find a big part of our entertainment experimenting with setups.
#37 - Byku
Quote from Flame CZE :The bold is already done. And by the way, those thing were just a plan.

No, it is not. We have improved car shadow rendering, not TRACK shadow rendering .

It will be a host option.
Quote from JazzOn :it would be great to sitting in a single seater and seeing your tire smokeing after the race, but i doubt the changes will bring that result. i guess (and im no expert clearly) this could only be done with partical effects and such new technics (newer than DX9/8.1) ATM a "puff" is all that can be produced.

A particle system (which the current smoke already is, just a very simple one) has nothing to do with the DX version. That "puff" could very well be spawned at a different location than the contact patch and also behave differently than now - it just needs to be coded. The hard part is not generating the smoke particles, but finding a good mathematical model that tells you when, where and how much smoke you need to generate.
I like all the features

The limited setup system is awesome in my opinion. Also, i hope that the xrt spinout thingy (and other rwd cars) will be fixed. With locked diff, it goes sideways way to easily. Like, rear tires may need a bit more grip in my opinion.
Quote from Byku :No, it is not. We have improved car shadow rendering, not TRACK shadow rendering .

I still think they meant the car shadows, but maybe not
Making a progress report is a very good idea, this way we know more precisely what you are doing/working on at the moment, which is very good.
Is the smoke we can see on the picture from the Z28 news already updated, or is it something we will have in a future patch?

Anyway, keep up the good work, you guys are awesome
cant wait, smoke change looks decent

also wtb more steering lock:P
Quote from Bokujishin :
Is the smoke we can see on the picture from the Z28 news already updated, or is it something we will have in a future patch?

It's in the new tyre physics report, so it's not included yet.
Scawen you're a babe. Thanks for the report!
really impressive
Thanks for the Report Scawen!
nice!
Quote from LFSn00b :I'm quite interested about that, and I'd be more than happy to hear the space barriers have gone

The version which was at rockingham circuit had that bug fixed (someone who was there said so)
Cant wait to see how the new tyre physics feel like. And how it will allow to cool down the tires when bit too warm

Quote from Napalm Candy :
I don't know how to simulate it but it is something like an infinite number of layers of tire, the heat passing from one to another while isolated from outside, with a determinated coefficient of wear, heating and heat transmitter

You get the idea? I mean very bad English

You would multiply significantly number of cells to compute (sectors*layers). There is something like heat capacity so you can calculate how the whole sector gets/looses heat. Problem is sectors transmit heat to each other and air inside and outside which makes a lot of calculations to make so I hope Scawen got this done some way around.
Quote from iFastLT :The version which was at rockingham circuit had that bug fixed (someone who was there said so)

I couldn't see any red and white barriers at Rockingham so I don't quite know how it could be tested out.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG