The online racing simulator
Is it better to have the PSU at the bottom? Noticed a lot of high end PC's with them at the bottom...
Mine is at the top, back of the case... Thinking it would because hot air rises
Quote from Roadie :Snip.

All that and you still use wireless? :P

One hell of a rig mate, wont need to upgrade that for a few years!
Quote from mclarenmatt :All that and you still use wireless? :P

One hell of a rig mate, wont need to upgrade that for a few years!

ahah, you got me there.. The house isn't wired for Ethernet.
Quote from DavidTiger :Is it better to have the PSU at the bottom? Noticed a lot of high end PC's with them at the bottom...
Mine is at the top, back of the case... Thinking it would because hot air rises

It gives extra space at the top for big fans. A 20 cm fan at the top sucks a lot more air out of the case than a power-supply at the top of a case.

The simple reason, a single 20 fan at the top of a pc-case has no restrictive heatsinks, small casing, wires etc. to push air through. Just the fan, air and one grill. Which results into removing hot air from the cpu real efficiently.
Ahh, My case I have a 28cm fan on the side (sucking in), plus 3 fans at the front (sucking in), 2 at the back (blowing out)
CPU temp hovers around 30-35°C idle, playing small games such as lfs, Dirt.. maybe 40-50°C Depending on how long i played it...
Running crysis and other games such like I have seen 70°C but cools back to idle temps in 2-3 minutes of closing the game

Case: Image Here
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Isn't 12gb of ram overkill?

No, it's not. You can turn 4~8GB into a very-fast (you can't even believe how fast it is, like 10x faster than very expensive SSD) HDD (RAM disk) for your browser's cache, temporary files, etc.
Quote from DavidTiger :Ah, My case I have a 28cm fan on the side (sucking in), plus 3 fans at the front (sucking in), 2 at the back (blowing out)
CPU temp hovers around 30-35°C idle, playing small games such as LFS, Dirt.. maybe 40-50°C Depending on how long I played it...
Running Crysis and other games such like I have seen 70°C but cools back to idle temps in 2-3 minutes of closing the game

Case: Image Here

High temps dude. And that case, well, it's just... not pretty
I know.. It was free and just, well never really need to changed it

Temp are higher because its overclocked, Got extra cpu cooling than stock heatsink, fan...
But I suppose, I dont game much now apart from LFS, DiRT and occasional COD4... never really changes from its idle temps (+/- 2-3°C)
Quote from MijnWraak :Meh, don't bother with synthetic bechmarking. How are your FPS in lfs?

late reply :P

but pretty much the same as the old system.
about 70 to 170fps @1680x1050.

the phenom released after the athlon x2's and i bought the phenom a year after i had the x2... and its just slower than the X2 6000+
what a fail...
superpi
Amd athlon x2 6000+ @ 3ghz 29.2 spi (1m) time
Amd phenom x4 9950BE @ 2.66 32 spi (1m) time @ 3Ghz 29.5
Quote from Jakg :For SupCom or something maybe, for LFS, which uses less than 200 mb of RAM (blatant geuss!) I doubt it.

193-194 on my xp machine , haven't tested on 7 yet... should run rubbish like everything on it
New gaming Rig

Thermaltake Soprano Black Case
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.6Ghz
Arctic Freezer Pro rev.2
Asus P7P55D-Pro i5 Motherboard
8GB OCZ DDR3-1333Mhz w/Heatsink
ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
500GB Samsung F3 16mb Cache HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Only problem atm is 4GB of the ram seems to be faulty :/

Didn't go too mad with this build, I only really play racing sim's and I might get FSX at some point too. If I need more speed in the future that I will just OC the CPU and get a new Radeon 5870 1GB when they come down in price
Quote from mclarenmatt :New gaming Rig
Only problem atm is 4GB of the ram seems to be faulty :/

Isn't the max you can see if 4gb even if you have like 8 or 12 gigs running? I'm a noob with PC's just have heard that alot. Or maybe its the 32 vs 64 bit thing idk
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Isn't the max you can see if 4gb even if you have like 8 or 12 gigs running? I'm a noob with PC's just have heard that alot. Or maybe its the 32 vs 64 bit thing idk

The max my mobo can run is 16GB but if you don't have 64bit OS it will only recognise 3.5GB
Quote from mclarenmatt :The max my mobo can run is 16GB but if you don't have 64bit OS it will only recognise 3.5GB

Depends on each PC. Sometimes it's only 3, sometimes 3,2. It's aprox 3-3,7 (IIRC).
It's anywhere between 2.75 - 3.5 GB on a 32-bit Windows OS. You can use PAE to give it more but thats.. dodgy.

x64 Windows OS' can see a lot more, but it depends on the OS in question.

Running 8GB ATM in 7 x64 and it's seeing it all (although 8GB of RAM is the most pointless thing ever I have to say...!)
Quote from Jakg :It's anywhere between 2.75 - 3.5 GB on a 32-bit Windows OS. You can use PAE to give it more but thats.. dodgy.

Running 8GB ATM in 7 x64 and it's seeing it all (although 8GB of RAM is the most pointless thing ever I have to say...!)

Just wondering, does 7 see more then 8? or only 8?
Depends on the version (see here).

In short - Home Basic = 8GB (but you'll never see that version "over here"),
Home Premium = 16GB,
Pro / Enterprise / Ultimate = 192GB.

Obviously for 32-bit versions, that doesn't apply.
got OCZ Mod extreme 780 watt modular power supply, some IC Diamond 7 TIM, and an antec 1200 case for my new system.

Quote from Jakg :It's anywhere between 2.75 - 3.5 GB on a 32-bit Windows OS. You can use PAE to give it more but thats.. dodgy.

vista/win7 is finally taking advantage of the extra memory for pre-loading applications and file-caching. The extra memory makes windows
look and feel a lot faster. The catch is, you should not mind windows being active on the disk for several minutes after booting. It does not affect what you are doing except if you are running benchmarks which will be 1-3% slower. But your apps will often start instantly like coming from a ram-disk. So there is not a direct visible benefit in having 8gbyte or more ram, but it makes working on a wintendo system really a bit better.

My rig:
built july 2009:
- CPU: amd phenom [email protected] (max is 3.71Ghz)
- system-board: asus M4a78T-E
- memory: 4x2gbyte corsair 1600Mhz@1333Mhz and 6-6-6-8-22-5-20-5 timings and 1,85volts
- graphics-card: club ati 5870
- soundcard: creative X-fi sound card , extreme gamer edition or something like that
- networkcard:intel pro/1000 GT
- HDD1: Western Digital RE3 Enterprise 500GB (WD5002ABYS)
- HDD2: WD Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
- systemcase: Lian Li PC-7B with fans replaced with Enermax UC-12AEBS"warp" fans, sidepanel modded and has a antec bigboy fan20cm. However, the mod turned out to be complete useless. System did not get cooler. Topfan replaced with Enermax UC-9FAB-B, 9x9 casefan
- cpu cooler: zalman CNPS9700NT
- powersupply: Zalman ZM750-HP
- monitor: LG W2600HP

Edit: Again, finally have a ati 5870 card now
Updated my sound system full specs below.

Coolermaster Storm Scout case
Jetway JHA04-LF 790fx AM2/AM2+ Motherboard
PC&P 750w Black Silencer
Phenom II x2 550 @ 3.7
2x2gb G.Skill Pi 800 ddr2
Visiontek 512mb 4870
Coolermaster v8 cooler
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
SB X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI sound card
Sennheiser HD555 headphones
G25
Samsung 2233sw 1080p 21.5" LCD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (finally got legit key, but don't know how to register it lol )

These are about the specs. It's getting on a bit now. But it's on 24/7 and (toutch wood) never had a malfunction and been lugged around countless places. My most reliable pc to date.

It's a lightly modified packard bell.

Standard Packard Bell Case
250watt psu
nvidia geforce 9500gt
Pentium 4 @ 3.06ghz
2GB ram (4x512)
Sunshine Motherboard
I-NIC 19inch screen
800gb storage space (150gbx250gb internal & a 400gb external drive thats now in its 3rd case in 2 years)
Generic pc speakers
Ps2 game controller
Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

I'll probably get around to trading it in for something newer but as my fave games bf2 & lfs run adequate fps I see no reason to change.
All of your computers are crap compared to mine (Epic Sarcasm)

200W PSU
nVidia MX440-SE
Intel Pentium 2.80Ghz
512MB Ram
37" HDTV Screen (1920x1080)
114GB IDE HDD
Trust 5.1 Surround Soundcard
Logitech Z-5500's

This computer is 6 years old :/ im surprised it still runs.
Stuff in ITALIC is new.

Processor: intel core2duo e8500 @ 4.04GHz
Cooling: COOLERMASTER V8
Videocard: XFX GEFORCE GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-E DVI MULTI CORE
Cooling: STOCK
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 (2X2GB)
HDD: 1x160GB 1x 320GB & 1x 1TB
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus II Formula
PSU: COOLER MASTER REAL POWER MODULAR 520W
Speakers: NONE
Soundcard: SupremeFX II X-FI
Monitor: Benq G2200W
Wheel: Logitech G25
Keyboard/mouse: Logitech Gaming G15 / Razer Diamondback 3G Blue
that cpu there... how many ghz was it at standard clock?
Quote from skolekaj :that cpu there... how many ghz was it at standard clock?

the e8500 is a 3.16ghz at stock

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG