The online racing simulator
Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )

Poll : Which operating system do you use for LFS?

Closed since :
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Linux
Windows XP x64
Macintosh
Windows ME
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Server Longhorn (2008)
Server 2003
Quote from Shadowww :No it wouldn't be nice if only 1/3 of current LFS players could play it.

If you look at the tech demos, games can be made to run from directx9-11. like with the uningine heaven benchmarks. If you dont have a dx9 graphics card by now, you probably shouldnt be playing lfs in the 1st place.

It looks like Windows 7 sales will be very high. and demand for the 5xxx series is high (though supply is low atm)
#102 - Woz
Quote from Scawen :If you have Windows 7 64 bit please just click Windows 7.

I included XP x64 because I am told that wasn't really XP, but this is not the case with 64 bit Vista and 7.

Yep, XP64 was a sort of publicity stunt forced to release OS to support the first AMD64. Forced because they didn't want Linux to be the only OS with 64bit support.

It was never really used in the wild and so was a second class, poorly supported OS from both MS and hardware vendors.
Quote from Gabkicks :If you look at the tech demos, games can be made to run from directx9-11. like with the uningine heaven benchmarks. If you dont have a dx9 graphics card by now, you probably shouldnt be playing lfs in the 1st place.

It looks like Windows 7 sales will be very high. and demand for the 5xxx series is high (though supply is low atm)

And what benefits does it have if a directx 8 game suddenly runs direct x 11?
7 X64 Pro

Pretty satisfied so far.
Quote from GeForz :And what benefits does it have if a directx 8 game suddenly runs direct x 11?

Why would you ask a question with such an obvious answer? the developers have to take advantge of the new features of dx11, or else there will be no big difference. framerates may change a bit.
Because the obvious answer would be "No benefits, because scawen is too busy doing physics stuff" ;P
Quote from Bluebird B B :...
Curious why some people want to move from vista to win7. Its exactly the same operating system...

Do you know the story about Windows Vista? Microsoft wanted to replace Windows XP, so they started to work on it. After some years, they realised the project was taking more time than expected. People was tired of XP so they needed something new. Then someone had a great idea: pack everything we have done until now, call it Windows Vista and sell it while we keep working. Finally that project has been finished, and it is called Windows 7.
So, basically, Windows 7 is the finished version of Windows Vista and that's why most people complain about Vista but they like 7.
Quote from Gabkicks :If you look at the tech demos, games can be made to run from directx9-11. like with the uningine heaven benchmarks. If you dont have a dx9 graphics card by now, you probably shouldnt be playing lfs in the 1st place.

You need two different graphics engines to make game support dx8/9 and dx10/11 cards.
i just read some game devs say that dx11 games can be made to support dx9 cards.plus, i just ran the stalker COP benchmark, and that ranges from dx9 to dx11. where did you read that dx11 games cant support dx9?
Windows 7 64bit no problems (:
Just curious as to what the guys outside the UK are paying for Win7 ... from what I gather from the lemmings that 'just bought regardless' about £70 ish for the basic home ...

I realise that the home pro will be £120 .. my question is ...The os it worth it?
Paid 119,- € for both home premiums... 32 & 64-bit
Quote from ORION :Im really glad that ME has 0 votes, still... so there might be still some tiny glimpse of hope in the world :P LOL

Lol, I agree
Quote from DoC_uk :Just curious as to what the guys outside the UK are paying for Win7 ...

In Spain the OEM version of Win7 Ultimate is around 150€ but since I'm Spanish I don't pay for software.
In Italy is not that easy to find the OEM version so it's around 300€ for the Ultimate...
Win7 x64. seeing the poll almost the same amount of ppl using the the new os than the good 'ol xp! i say win 7 ftw!
Quote from Gabkicks :i just read some game devs say that dx11 games can be made to support dx9 cards.plus, i just ran the stalker COP benchmark, and that ranges from dx9 to dx11. where did you read that dx11 games cant support dx9?

Yes, but the DX9 implementation would share almost no code with the DX10/11 implementation due to fundamental changes introduced with DX10. Of course games can be made to run on DX8, 9, 10, 11 and OpenGL, but it's not a simple matter of toggling one switch.
Quote from majod :XP doesn't know what to do with multiple cores

have they improved the scheduler, or does it still have the default behaviour of bouncing apps between processors at random?
Quote from NitroNitrous :Do you know the story about Windows Vista? Microsoft wanted to replace Windows XP, so they started to work on it. After some years, they realised the project was taking more time than expected. People was tired of XP so they needed something new. Then someone had a great idea: pack everything we have done until now, call it Windows Vista and sell it while we keep working. Finally that project has been finished, and it is called Windows 7.
So, basically, Windows 7 is the finished version of Windows Vista and that's why most people complain about Vista but they like 7.

You are not naming anything at all why windows7 would be any different to vista if you look behind the gui. Just stating windows7 is out-of-the-box more up-to-date than a two year OS. Well duh.. the two-year-old version needs to be updated to get it to the current standard. Some big unix-vendors do this all the time, releasing new install-media with updated OS out-of-the-box. Only difference is, they do not claim to be releasing a new operating-system. But microsoft is, successfully, doing exactly that

edit: About directx11 questions, YES i have directx11 but not yet a directx11 card. Just as it is not necessary to have directx11 capable graphics card to install windows 7.
Attached images
directx11.jpg
Quote from bunder9999 :have they improved the scheduler, or does it still have the default behaviour of bouncing apps between processors at random?

it seems that processes are better divided into multiple cores, for ex. it takes 25% of each instead of 100% of one...
Quote from NitroNitrous : ... but since I'm Spanish I don't pay for software ...

How do you get S2 ?

So, the non present of horizontal-span seems not to be an argument against vista or 7 ?
I play LFS with two Monitors in (21.5" and 19") with 2560x1024 Resolution and never ever will miss this feeling.
Attached images
lfs golf k.jpg
For the love of god, please don't post bitmaps

That reminds me, Victor, could you please go ahead and remove "bmp" as valid attachment format? There is no reason whatsoever to allow it - it's just an enormous waste of space and server traffic.
Quote from DoC_uk :Just curious as to what the guys outside the UK are paying for Win7 ... from what I gather from the lemmings that 'just bought regardless' about £70 ish for the basic home ...
I realise that the home pro will be £120 .. my question is ...The os it worth it?

My fellows got it from torrents, and I don't remember anyone to buy a new laptop recently (in which it could be pre-installed).

I have empty partitions on my HDD left for Windows, but since I changed HDD in spring, but I won't bother to install it. Using Ubuntu for 2 years, and earlier I tried Mandriva.
Quote from Bluebird B B :You are not naming anything at all why windows7 would be any different to vista....

Windows 7 is a final product, Vista it isn't. From my point of view is like if LFS S3 Final is released and you prefer to stay playing LFS S2 Z25 Alpha

BTW MSI offeres me a Win7 upgrade for just 20€, but I won't take it since it's just an upgrade disk I have to install over Vista, it sounds dirty and messy to me

Quote from Ger Roady :How do you get S2 ?

It was an exception because it worths
-
(NitroNitrous) DELETED by NitroNitrous
Quote from NitroNitrous :Windows 7 is a final product, Vista it isn't. From my point of view is like if LFS S3 Final is released and you prefer to stay playing LFS S2 Z25 Alpha

Nice analogy there

Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG