The online racing simulator
Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )

Poll : Which operating system do you use for LFS?

Closed since :
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Linux
Windows XP x64
Macintosh
Windows ME
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Server Longhorn (2008)
Server 2003
Quote from Bose321 :It's not the same. It just looks the same, they did that because vista looked good. Seven also RUNS great. And has DX11 .

My current directx version is 11, i updated it to directx 11 before windows7 was released LOL
Quote from Bluebird B B :My current directx version is 11, i updated it to directx 11 before windows7 was released LOL

Doubt that
Quote :Microsoft released the Final Platform Update for Windows Vista on October 27, 2009, which was 5 days after the initial release of Windows 7 (launched with Direct3D 11 as a base standard).

But apart from that, I agree. Vista users might as well wait for 8, and considering the extended support till April 8, 2014 for SP3, the same goes for XP users who don't need DX 10 or 11.
Main machine for LFS has been Win XP Pro since 2004 now SP3, secondary machine Ubuntu 9.10.

Voted for Win 7 as I'm about to upgrade main machine to Win 7 Pro 64 bit - the disk is sitting on my desk waiting for me to get off my ass I avoided the whole Vista life cycle but now will upgrade to Seven as I need to stay at least semi in touch with what's happening for supporting work PCs lol.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Not a really wel argumented post.
turnoff uac and vista and you're 90% on your way into making it really usefull. People like to forget many, many users demanded protection against themselves from microsft, that's why the awfull uac was introduced.

You have UAC turned off, your argument is invalid. Enjoy having system bloated by a bunch of (unneeded with UAC) AV's
Quote from Bluebird B B :My current directx version is 11, i updated it to directx 11 before windows7 was released LOL

Proofpic or it didn't happen.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Not a really wel argumented post.
turnoff uac and vista and you're 90% on your way into making it really usefull. People like to forget many, many users demanded protection against themselves from microsft, that's why the awfull uac was introduced.

If you already own vista, you know what to do.
With windows7 you just get vista with a tweaked gui. Vista got blamed for being slow, but tests show windows7 is usually exaclty as fast and sometimes just a bit slower than vista.
Ugly? Did you take a good look at xp? Totally teletubby's look after default install. But people are just used to it. xp, vista and win7 need tweaking to get the gui/look and feel working like you want it yourself.

you comparision with cars is a bit odd thought, on a car you get lots of different parts making it often different to drive.

Try again, name me some real advantages of win7 over vista, not in terms of awfull, ugly etc.

i can name one: after default install there is less gui tweaking needed in win7 which saves time. But is that really enough to spent money to migrate from vista to win7? I personally rarely have to reinstall windows. Average is at least 3-4 years and by that time the systems are outdated, sold of given to friends. So i would be spending time and money for ... what? What is the advantage over vista? What can i do better in win7 than in vista?

Regardless of everything you just said, a lot of people seem to think Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista. And I'm one of them. I used Vista for quite a while and was actually pretty happy with it, but Windows 7 really does feel a lot better than Vista ever did. It's just a lot nicer to work with overall. It boots faster and uses less resources, too, and it seems to run more stable than Vista for me. Plus my games seem to run significantly better on it, but then some people experience the opposite, so... The fact that so many people around the world feel the same way must mean they did something right with Win7, surely?

I bet you don't even have a ATi HD5000 series.
Win xp sp3 32bit.
I might as well join in the mentioning of OS even when voted already

Vista 64bit SP2.
#84 - Nes
I voted XP. I use this OS since my first LFS race in 2006
@obsolum

actually, it is vista that boots faster then win7, stability is unlikely to be different since the kernel, drivers etc. are exactly the same. Al crashes i got were related to too much overclocking and hardware(memory) not being able to work at rated specifications. I did try to reduce memory usage of vista, but it resulted in less performance. Since with vista, microsoft finally is using free memory efficiently for disk caching and pre-loading applications you often use. I doubt win7 is doing it differently, it might just be reporting memory usage differently. Vista/win7 really start to work well with 4+gbyte of memory because of that.
At the desktop, 1.65gbyte of memory is allocated with lots of programs and background services and 6gbyte is used for diskcaching, making my games start really, really fast. Lfs is loaded within one second. I doubt it can be done any quicker on the same hardware.

My point is, people are shouting win7 better this, that...but actually its all the same.

I do not deny the user interface of win7 is better than vista out of the box. But it is really just the userinterface.
Get vista, update it and tweak the gui to your liking and voila it works exactly as well as windows 7. So f you already have vista running and the gui tweaked, i do not think there is any advantage in upgrading. There is one though, your bankaccount will be lowered by 60 to 100 euros. BUT... in this case, your money will be better spent on two games, a concert of a great artist, new disk, clothes etc. to name a few examples.

note: using vista 64 bit since 11-2007

(one last note, i really hate microsoft, and i really hate it i have to run microsoft windows operating system. As long as microsoft has a monopoly on desktop market, i try not to get angry about it since its a waste of energy)
win7 for quadcore and low memory usage
@BB - Again, despite everything you say, my experience is that Win7 does boot faster and does run more stable. You can rattle about numbers and supposed "facts" all you want but my experience tells me Win7 is better and nothing you can say will change that Of course, there's plenty of people where Win7 runs worse than Vista, so obviously they'll be better off sticking with Vista.

That being said, I don't think it is worth upgrading to Win7 if you have purchased Vista. But I haven't purchased Vista. In fact I've never purchased any OS seperately. Win7 will be the first one I buy, because I like it that much
Quote from Bose321 :I bet you don't even have a ATi HD5000 series.

Not yet, planning to buy a 5870 card in about two weeks. I still have a bit doubt if i might go for a 5970 card. I don't think i would really benifit from the added performance. Making the price/performance ratio for me not very good while a 5870 is relatively cheap.
i was using XP since 2002, now with new pc i got WIN7 professional from MSDN and don't want to change for anything...XP doesn't know what to do with multiple cores
im on ubuntu untill my macbook pro arrives

cant wait for snow leopard
<3 linux
Windows XP here for quite a long time
Vista
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate I also have a Directx 11 graphics card. it'd be nice if LFS utilized dx11...
Quote from Gabkicks :it'd be nice if LFS utilized dx11...

No it wouldn't be nice if only 1/3 of current LFS players could play it.
#97 - senn
Vista 32bit. Don't see the point of changing to W7 until the bugs associated with all new microsoft OS's are ironed out.
I'm using Win7 and I really like it. The only thing is that it somehow cracked up my partitioning made me seemingly loose 500gb of data, a whole hard disk, but I think that was more of an installation or maybe even Pc error.
Couldn't say anything other negative about Windows 7.
It's a big jump from vista imho...and I just love the new look of the taskbar.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Not yet, planning to buy a 5870 card in about two weeks. I still have a bit doubt if i might go for a 5970 card. I don't think i would really benifit from the added performance. Making the price/performance ratio for me not very good while a 5870 is relatively cheap.

You know ATi 5000 Series are the only DX11 card atm on the market? You say you got DX11, but don't got a DX11 card?
I wonder what does the server's stats say, and how different it is, if at all, from the poll results...

Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG