The online racing simulator
Operating System Poll (pre-poll check)
(25 posts, closed, started )
I'd like to set up a poll to see how many users use each operating system.

Before I set up the poll, please can you tell me if I've missed out any important operating systems from this list?
I'm not interested in every single version like Vista 64 and so on - that would just be Vista.
(XP x64 is apparently different from XP so that's why I've included that 64 bit version separately)

- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows XP x64
- Windows Vista
- Windows Seven
- Server Longhorn (2008)
- Server 2003
- Macintosh
- Linux
#2 - hp999
Windows 95? Not really a friend with LFS I guess but it's not in the list tho.
#3 - Byku
Windows 3.1? Nah, just joking. I don't remember any other important systems beside those You've written.
Other then DOS, it looks fine to me.
FreeBSD I think.
Quote from hp999 :Windows 95? Not really a friend with LFS I guess but it's not in the list tho.

DX8.0a was the last supported version for Win95, LFS might require 8.1 but only Scawen can confirm that. Oh and while we're on it, last supported version for NT (4.0) is DX3.0a so you might as well take that off the list
That is, if it's a poll for LFS users.
i use - Windows Vista
Well, people still use BSD for some (obscure, IMO) reason
mutt, he mentioned Vista??
I´m still using Windows 7 RC. I will get the proper version soon, but I never had any complains since I first tried W7.
Quote from RasmusL :Well, people still use BSD for some (obscure, IMO) reason

The reason is security.

Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time! - OpenBSD
So, does lfs run on BSD? ;P
windows seven 64 right now, but trying to upgrade to windows seven, so i will just say seven
Don't forget the users running multiple systems (xp and 7 in my case)...

multivote please
Quote from logitekg25 :windows seven 64 right now, but trying to upgrade to windows seven, so i will just say seven

Switching from x64 to x86 OS is downgrade, not upgrade.
Quote from three_jump :Don't forget the users running multiple systems (xp and 7 in my case)...

multivote please

Don't think that's needed. Would have thought its only what OS you run LFS under thats the important bit.
Quote from Scawen :I'd like to set up a poll to see how many users use each operating system.

Before I set up the poll, please can you tell me if I've missed out any important operating systems from this list?
I'm not interested in every single version like Vista 64 and so on - that would just be Vista.
(XP x64 is apparently different from XP so that's why I've included that 64 bit version separately)

- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows XP x64
- Windows Vista
- Windows Seven
- Server Longhorn (2008)
- Server 2003
- Macintosh
- Linux

Not sure how relevant it would be to what you need to know, but would it be of any value to split Linux in to Debian and Redhat variants? Same kernals at the end of the day but significant differences as to how packages are installed I believe.

Other than that apart from Server 2000 I can't see anything missing, unless you want to start counting the likes of OS/2.
Quote from garph :Don't think that's needed. Would have thought its only what OS you run LFS under thats the important bit.

Depens on the statistic to be done. if it's about quantity of the used systems it does make a difference.

And for the record: I run lfs on both systems on a regular basis.
I'm planning on migrating to Windows 7 in the next few weeks. So I should announce my future system and not present?
Not sure if you need to differentiate win7 RC and the retail version, don't exactly know how different they are.
You're not running windows 7 now so......
Quote from three_jump :Don't forget the users running multiple systems (xp and 7 in my case)...

multivote please

+1 for that thought!
Quote from Fuse5 :Not sure if you need to differentiate win7 RC and the retail version, don't exactly know how different they are.

Legit copies are builds 7100, 7600 and RTM which could vary from 7600 in certain circumstances, I sadly am not 100% sure of what they are (yet).

I'd say support for Current RTM 7600 (on average) would make most sense.

Win 7 beta and RC are going to be starting to reboot every 2 hours in the not too distant future so I don' suppose very many will carry on with them once that sets in. I'm planning on migrating over to my retail copy of home premium sometime in the next 4 to 6 weeks to take care of that reboot thing just a little before it happens.
This thread is closed

(25 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG