The online racing simulator
LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
Quote from hotmail :i hope you dont mind me comparing this to NKpro,
NKpro Use C:\Nkpro_versionname

This is because when you unstall it, it doent leave a folder behind...

(i just took nkpro as a example, dont get me wrong)

Well if you install NKpro on blank partition (which has nothing but X:\Nkpro_versionname) it won't delete partition, will it?

Btw Victor, go give yourself infraction for double-posting.
Work fine here (Windows 7 x64).

btw, Victor, can you add this:

Quote from Victor :You also need to unlock (no matter if you're demo or licensed). Then LFS will load the replay and play it automatically.

I didn't unlock THAT install because i was just trying it.Now it's clear.

For what is worth,i agree with having a C:\LFS default folder
A "Games" folder isn't worth it.
Can't you just leave the default path empty?
Or make it "$currentFolder\Live for Speed"...

My games are all on the S: partition (S for Spiele, the german translation of games)
Default path ("C:\Games\Live for Speed") is OK for me...

Yes, you can add LFS version (S2/S3) in folder name...
Quote from Krane :My opinion:
Also it's not totally unnecessary, there's lots of ppl who don't know what a zip is or what to do when a dialog prompts to replace an existing older version of the same file. Or how they can start LFS if they manage to extract it.

I don't know how big the userbase of LFS is, but they all got it right and working. No need for a setup-package.

Question: does the installer now also put entries in the registry of windows? If not then you could still easily copy your install.
I installed it too. Worked great here. Win7 Ultimate x64.

Nice you used Nsis.

Just one thing, please, change icon on it :P
Quote from Starbert :I don't know how big the userbase of LFS is, but they all got it right and working. No need for a setup-package.

I don't know but, Vic and one lovely brunette whose name escapes me could answer how much problems users have installing LFS, I'd guess only 10% or so of those having problems even manage to find LFSForum.
Quote from Starbert :
Question: does the installer now also put entries in the registry of windows? If not then you could still easily copy your install.

It will if you keep the settings default. Also, entries in the registry is one thing, program function is another. As LFS was made without any thought for registry (Yay!) all this newfanglesetups is only extra for those who don't know better. Yes, there's also "cruft" for your registry but you disable those settings if you care don't you?

This new installer won't affect anyway the old behavior (99% sure, haven't noticed any changes in LFS.exe behaviour) so you can copy LFS dir all you want if you can keep track of the shortcuts and locations etc.
I was just using the smaller version, but it didn't create any startmenu entry for me nor did it create a desktop shortcut.

Running w7 64bit.

EDIT:
I guess you are also making the setup language selectable in the later versions?

EDIT2:
I was wrong, it did create the menu entry and shortcut in my Administrator account (I'm running a restricted user). Would be nice if that was selectable too.
Like: Install for everyone / just me (username)
I hope you'll continue to provide a simple self-extracting 7z.

As for the structure discussion: Windows provides one single (or two on x64, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit bins) directory for executables, that's Program Files. Executables are not supposed to be in any other Windows-created directory, including users with all its subdirs. Those are for data, not executables. My :twocents:

Personally I store my games on a separate physical drive for maximum performance, which is particularly noticeable when loading textures and other large files into RAM. My temp and pagefiles are also distributed among several physical drives, leaving C: solely as storage, not as swap/scratch disk.
Happy to report that it mostly works in Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine 1.1.33

I chose all default options. It put it into "C:\Games\Live for Speed", really /home/rayok/.wine/drive_c/Games/Live for Speed and that works fine.

It created 2 shortcuts on the desktop. A windows .lnk that doesn't work and a .desktop one that does, neither of which have the icon set correctly. Looking at the .desktop contents, it refers to the correct icon file, it just doesn't display correctly probably because of naming. The shortcuts it created in the menu are fine however so if you just copy those to the desktop/panel you'll be ok. I guess some of the shortcut problems are due to Wine creating the .desktop from the .lnk.

The file associations almost worked too. The icons display correctly in nautilus except when executed a windows dialog just says "File not found" and exits. I think this is also due to Wine too because the registry entry is correct "C:\Games\Live for Speed\LFS.exe "%1"" and wine should map C:\ to /home/rayok/.wine/drive_c but does not. I haven't tried to fix this one..

Before when creating a shortcut to LFS.exe I would always have to make sure the relative "working directory" is correctly set before launching otherwise nothing is found. A small cd command in a .sh file was all it took to fix that however. Overall, nice installer! Just a few problems due to Wine I think but nothing you can do about those.
ok well 1 thing u dont want it to delete C:/Games that could possibly cause it to delete other games if they are located in C:/Games
I've updated the installer file linked to in the OP.
That I think is the final one.
Quote from Victor :I've updated the installer file linked to in the OP.
That I think is the final one.

cool, shortcuts and file associations are visible now
License Agreement
There are two spaces after the dots in the License Agreement. I would place only one after each.

Edit:

There is also AN grammer mistake at the last page of the installer if you look at the text just above Finish button.
Quote from Krane :I don't know but, Vic and one lovely brunette whose name escapes me could answer how much problems users have installing LFS, I'd guess only 10% or so of those having problems even manage to find LFSForum.

It's Geraldine
Quote from emreerokyar :There are two spaces after the dots in the License Agreement. I would place only one after each.

Edit:

There is also AN grammer mistake at the last page of the installer if you look at the text just above Finish button.

It is quite standard to use two spaces afer a full stop. It seems there is a lot to say about that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D ... g_at_the_end_of_sentences

To write "an LFS account" is quite correct. L is a consonant, sure, but when you say "L" it sounds like "ell" and it's not easy to say "a ell" and that's why you really would say "an ell".

The "an" before a vowel is all about making it easy to speak. There are just a few ridiculous usages, for example the BBC in this country seems to force their newsreaders to say "an historic event" although they pronounce the h. Why, because there's a similar French word where they don't pronounce the h. Makes no sense. Only people who don't pronounce the h should say an - for example "an 'istoric". But BBC newsreaders DO pronounce the h. So it should be "a historic event".

Back on topic :

The latest version of the installer seems great to me, I like how the default folder is now C:\LFS

I realise there are reasons behind the new Windows structure and all that. Personally I have no idea what it's all about and I must admit that I am not inspired to move past XP at this point while there are so many issues with Vista. I just want a computer that lets me do what I want to do so I'll stick with XP until that user stuff settles down a bit. Maybe MS should slow down a bit, keep things in testing for longer and not rush things out for deadlines. Then they wouldn't release OS's that annoy people. Some people who did buy Vista are annoyed at the thought of buying Windows 7 just to fix the problems that they paid for already in Vista. With so many different versions of Windows doing different things, I support Victor's conclusion that it's better to just keep it simple.
#93 - senn
So very true Scawen (about MS slowing down, developing properly etc)
Worked great here. Win7 Ultimate
worked fine, but i have question about file assosiating - does it really make sense to make .SET files working with only LFS? what it will exactly do when ill try to run it?
Is there another (commonly used) program that would need .set association? I can't think of any.

Quote :what it will exactly do when ill try to run it?

Double-click a .set file and find out It copies the setup from any folder to your actual setup folder. It's especially handy if you frequently download setups (to some other download folder).
Of course there are other programs using the same extensions... That's why it should be optional
But the only crucial should be mpr...

Quote :Detailed information for file extension SPR:
Primary association: Brother Powernote
Identifying characters Hex [Position 1]: 85 01
Related links: Brother Powernote Conversion Program
Other applications associated with file type SPR:

* Dreamcast (VR Texture) by Sega The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 54 45 58 4E , ASCII: TEXN
* Foxpro (Generated Screen Program) by Microsoft Corporation
* Half-Life (Sprite) by Sierra Entertainment, Inc.Graphic image (usually moving over a background). The Half-Life FAQ has a viewer. Related links: Half-Life FAQ
* IDSoftware (Sprite) The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 49 44 53 50 , ASCII: IDSP Related links: Sprite File Format
* Live for Speed (Single Player Replay) by Live for SpeedAn on-line racing simulator. This file contains a single player replay. This association is classified as Game. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 4C 46 53 53 50 52 , ASCII: LFSSPR Related links: SPR File Header Format
* Lutin
* NeroMix by Nero AGNero’s digital media suite offers DVD/CD burning, editing and authoring, video, audio, photo, networking and back-up applications.

* Pro Motion (Sprites Sequence/Animation) by CosmigoPro Motion is a pixel oriented drawing and animation software for Windows. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 53 50 52 , ASCII: SPR
* Psion (Series 3 Spreadsheet) by Psion PLC This association is classified as Spreadsheet.
* RiscOS Archimedes Sprite Format
* Sangduck (Sangduck Sprite File) The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 53 61 6E 67 64 75 63 6B 20 53 70 72 69 74 65 20 46 69 6C 65 , ASCII: S a n g d u c k S p r i t e F i l e
* Sizzler (Streaming Animation) The Mime types used with this association are: application/x-sprite.
* Sprint (Document) by Borland Software CorporationA word processor from the 1980s, from Borland. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 0B 52 20 , ASCII: .R.Related links: Unofficial Sprint Page
* Star Trek Armada Sprite Information
* Telelogic Tau SDL Suite (Design File) by Telelogic ABTelelogic Tau SDL Suite based on the object-oriented design language SDL and the trace language MSC, both of which are formal, visual and internationally standardized languages.
* Unknown Apple II File ((found on Golden Orchard Apple II CD Rom))

Quote :Detailed information for file extension MPR:
Primary association: MPEG Audio Stream, Layer I, II or III
File classification: Audio
Other applications associated with file type MPR:

* AutoCAD (Mass Properties Report) by Autodesk, Inc.
* FileMaker Spelling Dictionary
* Live for Speed (Multiple Player Replay)An on-line racing simulator. This file contains a multiple player replay. This association is classified as Game. Related links: MPR File Header Format
* Multilizer (Project File) by Multilizer, Inc.Coordinates and facilitates the localization of programs (using different languages for different parts of the world).
* Music Publisher (Backup Data File) by Braeburn SoftwareMusic Publisher is a professional quality music notation software system for all 32-bit Windows platforms. Focussed entirely on the printed page it is above all a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get visual system. The file format is proprietory binary (22 byte records) and is available on request to the author. This association is classified as Audio.
* Visual Foxpro (Solution Menus File) by Microsoft Corporation
* Westwood Studios Game File(e.g., Red Alert, et.al. - should be a text file)

Quote :Detailed information for file extension SET:
Primary association: Backup File Set
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Mime type: application/x-mspowerpoint
Program ID: File.Set
Other applications associated with file type SET:

* 1st Reader (Configuration)
* 3WayPack by The Three-Mode CompanyThe Three-Mode Company is a company devoted to creating three-mode software and promoting three-mode data analysis. File extension of an ASCII (or text) output file generated by 3WayPack, an advanced statistical package for three-mode data analysis. These files can be read with Notepad, Wordpad, and similar standard editors.
* Alpha Five (Set Data Dictionary) by Alpha Software, Inc.The set's data dictionary, which contains lists of additional set objects such as Layouts (forms, browses, etc.), report designs, saved and operations.
* AutoCAD (LT Set File) by Autodesk, Inc.Program ID: AutoCADLTTabSetFile
* BPM Studio (Encrypted User Information) by ALCATechSoftware to manage audio files. Useful for DJs.
* Configuration
* Corel Painter Settings File

* Diablo II (Character Set) by Blizzard EntertainmentRelated links: Shadowmaster Diablo II LOD Character Editor
* Driver Set
* HostAccess (Session Configuration Template) by Quovadx, Inc.Pixel Systems was taken over by Quovadx Jan 2003. HostAccess 7.2 allows you to rapidly transform the interface of existing host applications with toolbars, mouse support, pushbuttons, Active-X controls as well as the powerful AutoGUI and Web page integration. The SET file contains a session template.
* Image Settings
* Mastercam (Setup Sheet Templates) by CNC Software, Inc.Mastercam has solutions for milling, turning, wire EDM and design. This file is usually in the .\MILL6 folder. This association is classified as CAD/CAM.
* Nikon Capture (Settings File) by Nikon Inc.Nikon Capture allows you to make fundamental and subtle adjustments to your Nikon Electronic Format (NEF) files-without compromising the original file's integrity.Program ID: NikonCapture.Setting
* Setup Data or Info
* Sibelius (Sound Set Definition) by Sibelius Software LtdSpecifies the sounds etc. available in a particular MIDI playback device. Used in Sibelius version 3 & later.
* Symphony Driver Sets Created by Install
* Unknown Apple II File ((found on Golden Orchard Apple II CD Rom))
* XANA Web Browser (Configuration File) by Viktor HeimonenXANA stands for eXtensible Applications Native Approach.

Quote :Detailed information for file extension LYT:
Primary association: DESQview
Company: Symantec Corporation
Other applications associated with file type LYT:

* MetaCAM (Layout) by Metamation, Inc.The MetaCAM suite of products was developed by Metamation for the Sheet Metal Fabrication industry. This association is classified as CAD/CAM.
* MicroImages (Text Layout) by MicroImages, Inc.This file type is sometimes used by various MicroImages products. It is not common so you may not see it. Layout saved as text, rather than in .RVC Project File Format. (Older format than .LTT.)
* Printed Circuit Board (Layout File) This association is classified as CAD/CAM. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 50 43 42 20 4C 41 59 4F 55 54 20 46 49 4C 45 1A 00 , ASCII: PCB LAYOUT FILE
* SignMaking Application Extension
* TurboTax (Install Log File) by Intuit

taken from filext.com
Quote from majod :worked fine, but i have question about file assosiating - does it really make sense to make .SET files working with only LFS? what it will exactly do when ill try to run it?

It's not a very important thing to associate with LFS - so if another program uses that association in a useful way, you should switch off that option when installing.

All it does in LFS is copy the set file to your setups folder. This makes it easy to get a setup, for example one you find on a website, you can just "open" it from there and it's automatically saved to your setups folder.

You can reproduce this by manually saving a setup file into your setups folder.

Same with the SPR / MPR / LYT associations, they are only there for convenience but they are not necessary.
Nice one! Worked like a charm here (Win7 x86 Ultimate), no problems of any sort
Gah, I feel bad about weighing in so late in this...
Quote from Scawen :The latest version of the installer seems great to me, I like how the default folder is now C:\LFS

The one thing that is being missed is consideration for the "axe murderer" in the family. Installing to C:\LFS makes good sense in programming but a kick-ass LFS installer would offer a route for those sharing their PC with younger, non-LFSer members of the family. There would be community benefits to offering a <current user> installation option.
Quote from Scawen :I realise there are reasons behind the new Windows structure and all that. Personally I have no idea what it's all about and I must admit that I am not inspired to move past XP at this point while there are so many issues with Vista.

Like me, for you the computer's OS is a means to an end rather than an end in itself. Migration to Vista or 7 won't make sense until the new OS exceeds XP's stability and offers some element of fast-track computing that you feel you need and that XP can't do. We don't have time, or don't see the point in committing the time, having to re-jig, jerry-rig or re-learn things in a new OS environment simply to tread water.
This thread is closed

LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG