The online racing simulator
LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
Hi,

I have installed , tested all links and uninstalled LFS.
I have found no problems. Everything works fine here.

It looks good and and i love the link to the LFS Wiki site ( very useful for new drivers ).
Maybe you can also add the links to LFSForum and LFSWorld sites to the start menu.

I have tested it under Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
Some text isn't visible on my computer, it just shows up as black boxes. Windows XP x64
Attached images
error.png
Update - The uninstaller removes all of the files and links as expected, but seems to leave the directory folder.

EG: Everything installed in D:\Games\LFS everything within that folder is removed.. but the folder itself remains.

I find alot of games tend to leave that folder and im guessing its a limitation in being able to distinguish how close to the root path the files can be removed from to prevent accidental deletion of the entire Games directory for example.. but thought i would mention it anyway.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Some text isn't visible on my computer, it just shows up as black boxes. Windows XP x64

can you run the attached test install exe and tell me what the popup window says? It should state the name of your OS. You can cancel once you've seen that msg.

EDIT - nevermind, i've fixed it
Attached files
LFS_S2_Z25_setup.zip - 1.1 MB - 277 views
Quote from Victor :that's true it's hidden by default (i always unhide my files), but then we're back at square one. If we shouldn't use the Users\ folder, and not the Program Files folder, that leaves C:\Games

The final word is of course yours I just don't see the downside of users\public\games\ (where WoW wants to install by default). The reason I'd dislike installing under root\games is that to me anything outside of "Program Files" and "Users" should really be a system file, not a random 3rd party program.

The other alternative could be installing core LFS files to Program Files\LFS, and like many other games, have all user files in the user's profile folder (Documents\LFS). More stuff in the registry, yay
I thought the AppData folder is used for data that is used like temp files, but which should not be deleted... like user specific plugins or chat histories or config files etc. At least it is not a path where programs are installed, so this should not be done imo.
Btw, there is a special games folder/tool in Vista an Win7. I dont use it, so if anyone knows how to add a program to that, this might be helpful. (I hope its not required that a game must be certified as a "Games for Windows" title to make this work)

But generall,y software is supposed to be installed to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory.

And because this sucks, I install all software only to D:\Programs
Quote from DanielC :It's the first thing that gets desactivated on my PC's ...

... and then people wonder why they should spend a lot of money on antiviruses or having a nice spy party in their PC's. meh.
Quote from ORION :I thought the AppData folder is used for data that is used like temp files, but which should not be deleted... like user specific plugins or chat histories or config files etc. At least it is not a path where programs are installed, so this should not be done imo.

Well Google installs all it's progs (e.g. Earth, Chrome, Picasa etc) there. + All Microsoft .NET ClickOnce-technology installed apps are going there too.
Quote from Shadowww :Well Google installs all it's progs (e.g. Earth, Chrome, Picasa etc) there. + All Microsoft .NET ClickOnce-technology installed apps are going there too.

Really? Thats quite interesting. But I dont quite understand the reason behind this yet. Or is that indeed the only (or best) way to install software only for certain users?
First off all , What a perfect timing. Just got my Win 7, 64-bit dvd today, so installed it on a plain machine ( what just had all the drivers on it ) ( the latest drivers)

I download it , and i installed it and it workt great. at least its starting up and i drove 3 laps with my mouse. but it seems to work with no problem at all.

And i do agree that its time to get a installer. till now I allways had lfs on my destop in a folder. but its time too give that a Change .

Conclusion: So far So good

(OS: Win 7 64-bit, Q9550, Ati 4890 1gb, 4gb memory, bla bla bla:tilt
Worked fine for me on Windows XP. Installed, ran it, did a few laps, then uninstalled it. Everything went without a hitch.

I like the idea of an installer, but are you devs planning to eliminate the zip files altogether?
The info for the Vista/W7(?) Games folder is at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games, more here http://blog.hexagonstar.com/vistatweak6/ Can't say I've ever used it though It doesn't appear to have any Games for Windows cert requirements.
#37 - J.B.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still hasn't understood the concept of program files, registry, users, app data etc.

What is it for and how is supposed to be used (serious question)?

From my point of view the Windows structure is just creating a huge mess for benefits that are not obvious to me. Do viruses and spyware really fail because they are not allowed to write to program files? Are there really so many private users that share their computers to the extent that it's worth splitting program files and user files (whatever between those is anyway)? For HD space?

And it also seems to be that the program files are more protected in terms of permissions than the user files, although obviously user files are far more valuable to users as they are not easily replacable.

Sorry for OT but I thought this might be a chance to find out what exactly is going on with the way Windows is structured.

Installer worked fine for me BTW.
I have my LFS installed on C:\LFS, it works perfectly fine and it's easy for me to access to.

As for the installer, i'm very happy with it, it worked 100% OK.
Works like it should
Quote from J.B. :Do viruses and spyware really fail because they are not allowed to write to program files?

Yes unless you have disabled UAC or run virus as admin (which is stupid).
Quote from franky500 :Update - The uninstaller removes all of the files and links as expected, but seems to leave the directory folder.

It worked for me, there is an option to delete the main lfs folder in the uninstaller.
Everything works fine However, there are still old installation instructions in the readme file and there's a link to www.lfswiki.net, which has been replaced by www.lfsmanual.net
Quote from rc10racer :It worked for me, there is an option to delete the main lfs folder in the uninstaller.

no he means the Games folder. It's a bit difficult to remove that one automatically. I don't have a lot of functions that let me figure out what parent folder(s) Live for Speed was installed in.
easy and quick instal, no problems at all
windows 7 32 bit (86x)
great work Victor
Can i still install with it to program files?

I dont have any issues and my current install is there. Usally all applications have their files their although most other sims (nkpro/iracing) use user/documents for configuration, settings, setups etc.
I don't know if it is normal but... I installed, all without problems, but when I double-click on a SPR or MPR file (with or without LFS opened) appears a window saying "Error copying file"

I'm on W7 32bit

EDIT: With that window openen the uninstall don't run OK, so it unistall LFS and don't show any error, but don't remove LFS.exe and Live For Speed folder (neither Games folder)

I suggest the unnistall first close all LFS programs or ask to close it
Attached images
Captura.JPG
Quote from Napalm Candy :I don't know if it is normal but... I installed, all without problems, but when I double-click on a SPR or MPR file (with or without LFS opened) appears a window saying "Error copying file"

I'm on W7 32bit

EDIT: With that window openen the uninstall don't run OK, so it unistall LFS and don't show any error, but don't remove LFS.exe and Live For Speed folder (neither Games folder)

I suggest the unnistall first close all LFS programs or ask to close it

Where did you install it to?
Quote from Victor :no he means the Games folder. It's a bit difficult to remove that one automatically. I don't have a lot of functions that let me figure out what parent folder(s) Live for Speed was installed in.

Its not an issue to me whatsoever and i doubt it will be a big issue to anybody.. but as its a test i thought i might mention it.
#50 - arco
The program itself can go into Program Files, but userdata should not. In Vista and 7 the Program Files directory is protected from writing new files in it. I.e. if you install LFS there, and then go about to copy setups, replays etc to the LFS data folder, you will get permission denied.
This thread is closed

LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG