The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Hey, Jack's suspension still doesn't look anything like as high as mine. The stock clearance on the 323 is mental Regrettably it seems like mine'll be going to the great car park in the sky soon.
Quote from theirishnoob :

bahahahahaha. the best cars ever made are cheap ones.

bmws, all cheap ( or atleast the good ones are )

Since WHEN have BMW been cheap?

And I'll come back here to post when I get my R8 in two years mwuahahah
Quote from Jakg :I'm amazed you pulled all of that detail from the fact my friend demolished a hedge - does that say he was driving too fast, or that he was driving like a cock?

True. Maybe he just can't drive very well.

But then I can't drive very well either but I've never driven into any large, obvious stationary objects.
my bros truck is like a monster truck, very hard to judge in every way, we pulled into cumbies (cumberland farms :tilt and we ended up being less then a centimeter from either doing good damage to either the store or the truck or both by hitting the brick supports to the roof...we had no idea until we got out....just thought i would say that
Quote from Scrabby :Boy Racers......

And they start wondering why insurance is so high in the UK....

as of right now, my sisters wrote of 5 cars this year, 3 last year and 1 the year previous....

her insurance on the current celica is half of what my insurance on a 1.3 is.

Everyone crashes... just some more then others, i wrote my mates cars off at 30mph Big whoop ?

insurance is the biggest scam ever though. I mean, c'mon.... 4k for a 1.3 carb civic.... wtf :|

im paying 1750 on my 306 which is a 1.9 though i know commercials are cheaper... but damn, i need a cheap focus van or something i can throw a nice engine into.
Quote from theirishnoob :Everyone crashes... just some more then others, i wrote my mates cars off at 30mph Big whoop ?

Really? My Mum has been driving for 35 years, never had a car accident, not even a minor one. I've been driving for 11 years myself, same thing, not even a minor car accident. It's not inevitable.
Quote from theirishnoob :as of right now, my sisters wrote of 5 cars this year, 3 last year and 1 the year previous....

her insurance on the current celica is half of what my insurance on a 1.3 is.

I'm seeing a pattern emerging there... The numbers are getting higher as the years go on

Female insurance is on average 50% cheaper than male, because apparently we crash more and they crash less. I'm paying £90 per month (or roughly £1100 a year) on a 1.3 Ford KA, whereas a female on it would be £30-£45 if they were the same age/experience.

Beggers belief really... and also I've noticed larger cc cars (1.6) are cheaper on the insurance at my age than a 1.0-1.3cc engine >_<
First car is Skoda LR with engine from Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V and second car is BMW 318 IS.
Attached images
LR.jpg
LR1.jpg
LR3.jpg
LR2.jpg
My car seems to have a problem.

I can't put the car into first, third or fifth gear (all along the top row if that makes sense).

Done some googling and I'm not that much wiser, anyone else had similar problems with Focus' or maybe other fords or maybe in other cars.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
What happens when you try to put it into these gears, any sort of crunching or anything? Or does it just feel like ur trying to break a safe open with a crow bar?
Quote from Xaid0n :

Beggers belief really... and also I've noticed larger cc cars (1.6) are cheaper on the insurance at my age than a 1.0-1.3cc engine >_<

lulwut

Anyway, I think the secret is to get a car that no chav, boy racer or yobbo in the world would ever drive. A Volvo .

(Don't laugh, but I may actually do this when I am 17. I will just have to park 3 miles from School/University/Work to avoid being mocked :tilt It's either a Volvo or an (old) Saab... my dad wants me to drive a battleship for safety reasons.
I think you all know my feelings on the Volvo 460 being ftw.
Quote from DTrott :My car seems to have a problem.

I can't put the car into first, third or fifth gear (all along the top row if that makes sense).

Done some googling and I'm not that much wiser, anyone else had similar problems with Focus' or maybe other fords or maybe in other cars.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A possible cause is that the gear linkage could have moved due to it working loose, my fiesta did the same thing, but moved the other way so i couldnt use 2nd or 4th.

It can be re set back yourself but its a bit of an ass to do because everything is back to front and upside down under there so if you sit in the car and move the stick towards 5th gear, up and right then by the time that movement has gone through the joints and pivots in the linkage then the movement on the gearbox will be down and left,etc.. so its confusing as hell to get it set right,
Gear linkages don't usually work loose. They just wear out.

Open up the engine bay on your Focus, and have a look at the gear linkage. Grab the linkage rod and give it a tug. If the connected end moves around, then the linkage bush is worn out and needs replacing. Do not attempt to do this yourself unless you know what your doing.

When you try to put the car into gear, does it grind, or just not get into gear at all? If it grinds, then it will be either a synchro issue or a clutch issue. Replacing the synchros will require the box to come out. The parts will not be expensive, but the labour will be quite expensive.

It may be a clutch issue, with the clutch not having enough clearance. The Focus gearboxes (providing yours is an early "00" if i remember rightly?) are cable driven. If it IS cable driven, then the clutch clearance can be adjusted without the need for the box to come out.

From memory, i'm pretty sure it is NOT hydraulic driven, but if the clutch is hydraulic driven, then the lack of adjustment will mean that the clutch is worn. This will require the clutch to be changed, which will mean the box will have to come out. The clutch won't be too much (Should be no more than £100 for the part) but as above, the labour will be quite steep.
Quote from Klouczech :First car is Skoda LR with engine from Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V and second car is BMW 318 IS.

Nice Škoda dude.
Quote from Jakg :I think you all know my feelings on the Volvo 460 being ftw.

they're For total Wankers ??

ahh jakg play nice

Quote from Michael Denham :Really? My Mum has been driving for 35 years, never had a car accident, not even a minor one. I've been driving for 11 years myself, same thing, not even a minor car accident. It's not inevitable.

my dads driving jut under 40 years without a crash, my mother the same.

my grand father had 60 years NCB ( though it caps at 20/25 years afair :P ) and thats from back in the days before ANY safety equip bar the seat belt in " newer " cars.

Quote from Xaid0n :I'm seeing a pattern emerging there... The numbers are getting higher as the years go on

Female insurance is on average 50% cheaper than male, because apparently we crash more and they crash less. I'm paying £90 per month (or roughly £1100 a year) on a 1.3 Ford KA, whereas a female on it would be £30-£45 if they were the same age/experience.

over here its really just 3 point insurance...

1) age of the soon to be insured

2) age of the car/van/jeep etc

3) value of the vehicle

like a 4k civic costs more then a 800 quid one from 98-99 for example,

the cheapest qoute ive gotten so far is on my either a opel vivero van ( would never dirve one for the life of me )

or a toyota hilux... but the hilux is just a bit Small imho, great piece of kit though.
Quote from theirishnoob :my dads driving jut under 40 years without a crash, my mother the same.

my grand father had 60 years NCB ( though it caps at 20/25 years afair :P ) and thats from back in the days before ANY safety equip bar the seat belt in " newer " cars.

Cool. So why'd you say 'everyone crashes'? :P

As far as the cap for NCB... here I am already at the max discount of 43%, which kind of sucks! It really should keep getting cheaper every year
Quote from DTrott :My car seems to have a problem.

Press down the clutch pedal.
Quote from theirishnoob :-snip-

Well I haven't really noticed a difference in terms of value of the vehicle on quotes. I did a quote on my mum's car once, 2008 Vauxhall Astra 1.8i Automatic (£12,000 value), and the insurance quote came back roughly £150 a month (£1800 p.a). Bare in mind, I'm 18 with less than 1 year experience and 0 no claims.

I've also done quotes (online and on the phone) for a Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra estates (both 1.6 8v) and they are £10-£20 more than what I'm currently paying on a 1.3 Ford KA (£90).... so I'm saving up to buy either of these two cars now, much rather have safety on my side too (as I found out today, darn weather).
A 1.1l Saxo is €3100 for me, TP F+T.
A 1.1l 106 is €2800 for me, TP F+T.
A 1.3l Mini is €1300 for me, TP F+T.

It's all down to the car you pick, pick a typical boy racer car and you'll be loaded at this age, regardless of your safety record. The Saxo and 106 make around €2000 for a ~'00 model (for a clean one), with the '94 Mini worth anything up to €5000 (just been restored). I tried getting quotes on a 1.4 Civic, a 1.6 Integra and a 1.4 Astra, often regular first cars in this country (honestly, the amount of 17 and 18 year olds driving Civics, Integras, Glanzas, etc. is unreal), but it wouldn't give me a quote online.

Those quotes are for an 18 year old with a license for 1 year, 1 years no claims, clean driving record, etc.
My Puma
Loose the chavvy wheels, seats and fuel hatch and it's all good.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG