The online racing simulator
Laptop Suggestion Questions
(19 posts, started )
Hey guys,

I have been looking to buy a laptop for some time. Actually, I have till I go to college next fall, but I have been looking around. Here are the specs that I am looking for right now:

15 inch screen
Capability of 4gb ram (I can install it after buying it if needed)
Windows 7 Home Premium or better 64bit
At least 250 gb hard drive
4 year warranty? (I would like it, but they cost a LOT)

Now, my question: Since I plan to be doing an engineering major, I will probably have graphic intensive programs. So, I will need a pretty good graphics card and a nice processor.

So, I have been looking at something with 2.6GHz processor, but recently I have been looking at the Intel i7's. The thing is, when I look at something in my price range (under 1000 preferably, highest 1200), the Core i7's are like 1.73 GHz. Are they so good that a 1.73GHz would be better than, let's say, an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz processor.

Also, what graphics card would be sufficient for an engineering major?

Btw, I have been looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 as my best choice right now. Any better ones out there?

Thanks,
Shashdev
Have you tried choosing your options for a custom laptop at HP's website and ordering it?

I customised my fathers laptop there a while back.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app ... No=4636883&CatId=3444

This laptop is refurbished, I've bought 6 products from Tiger and all were refurbished with no problems. If you read the reviews at bottom of Tigers page, it seems like a great buy.
Don't look around for a laptop now when you have time until next fall. Makes no sense, you'll spend more if you buy it now.
My suggestion is a customized Sager NP8662 or similar

PC Torque
XoticPC
Deviltech
Sager official webpage
Powernotebooks

There are many more places. You can customize everything, even the warranty and the cover and if you have doubts about the brand, read this: Who Really Makes Laptops and W ... industries hidden secret)

I was in the same situation this summer, since I'm studying transportation design and I need a powerful but still portable machine (not only graphic design but also intensive 3D modelling) and I bought the MSI GT627 246UK.

Intel Core2Quad Q9000 @ 2.25Ghz (It's a Core2Duo killer, tested :tilt
2x2048mb DDR2 800 CL5 (Usually laptops use 667)
nVidia 9800GS 1024mb (Flasheable to GTS)
WD Scorpio Black Series 320Gb 7200rpm (Usually laptops have 5400rpm drives. It's amazing how fast this one is, and 0db in every moment)
15.4" 1680x1050 Gloss (I was worried about such a big resolution in a 15" screen, but after using it, the only thing I can tell you is that's perfect)
Bluray / HDMI / eSata / WiFi N / Bluetooth 2.0
2.7Kg / 2.5+ hours of battery (with 6 cell, 9 cell available)
MSI GS-502 3200dpi (It saved me to buy a Logitech G9, it's a nice mouse)
MSI Backpack

I love it, it's the perfect laptop for me and it's running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 like a charm The American version has Core2Duo at 2.4Ghz, but goes to 2.9Ghz when you press the Turbo button. Sweet
MSI has released a new GT628 with nVidia GT160m and DDR3. The standard version used to cost around 1100$ IIRC
#7 - Jakg
Do you NEED that power on the move? I had this when I went to Uni - a decent laptop I could actually use as my sole PC would be £1k plus and still nowhere near as good as I want. I got my netbook for £220 which is fine for lectures etc and I built PC#2 for ~ £300 which was a quad with 6GB of RAM etcetcetc

If you need the machine in a lecture / lab class / seminar then I can understand, but if you'll be in your room doing it a desktop PC would work out a much MUCH better bet.

Warranty wise - Dont bother. Most manufacturers overcharge for it, and in 4 years you wont be using it - 4 years ago Athlons with 512MB of RAM were "top of the line", and if you've paid $300 to keep the thing serviced you'll feel like a bit of a chump.

EDIT - Only laptop I *love* would have to be the Asus VX32 because it actually feels like it justifies it's pricetag (although I would remove the stupid Lambo stickers), but even then i'd want a Quad.
Quote from Ricerguy :Have you tried choosing your options for a custom laptop at HP's website and ordering it?

I customised my fathers laptop there a while back.

Well, I have customized laptops every site I could, dell, hp, apple, but of course I haven't ordered one. I don't plan on getting anything until at least next year, maybe as late as next summer.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdi...order=&icon=23

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1633178
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1631746

...just for example.

Thanks for those links. I never knew about that site.

Quote from mhartma5 :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...883&CatId=3444

This laptop is refurbished, I've bought 6 products from Tiger and all were refurbished with no problems. If you read the reviews at bottom of Tigers page, it seems like a great buy.

That is a great deal for the laptop, but the processor just isn't fast enough. Also, I really do want to buy a laptop I can customize.

Quote from jibber :Don't look around for a laptop now when you have time until next fall. Makes no sense, you'll spend more if you buy it now.

I know. I am not getting it any time soon.

Quote from NitroNitrous :My suggestion is a customized Sager NP8662 or similar

PC Torque
XoticPC
Deviltech
Sager official webpage
Powernotebooks

There are many more places. You can customize everything, even the warranty and the cover and if you have doubts about the brand, read this: Who Really Makes Laptops and W ... industries hidden secret)

I was in the same situation this summer, since I'm studying transportation design and I need a powerful but still portable machine (not only graphic design but also intensive 3D modelling) and I bought the MSI GT627 246UK.

Intel Core2Quad Q9000 @ 2.25Ghz (It's a Core2Duo killer, tested :tilt
2x2048mb DDR2 800 CL5 (Usually laptops use 667)
nVidia 9800GS 1024mb (Flasheable to GTS)
WD Scorpio Black Series 320Gb 7200rpm (Usually laptops have 5400rpm drives. It's amazing how fast this one is, and 0db in every moment)
15.4" 1680x1050 Gloss (I was worried about such a big resolution in a 15" screen, but after using it, the only thing I can tell you is that's perfect)
Bluray / HDMI / eSata / WiFi N / Bluetooth 2.0
2.7Kg / 2.5+ hours of battery (with 6 cell, 9 cell available)
MSI GS-502 3200dpi (It saved me to buy a Logitech G9, it's a nice mouse)
MSI Backpack

I love it, it's the perfect laptop for me and it's running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 like a charm The American version has Core2Duo at 2.4Ghz, but goes to 2.9Ghz when you press the Turbo button. Sweet
MSI has released a new GT628 with nVidia GT160m and DDR3. The standard version used to cost around 1100$ IIRC

Thanks for the links. Also, a couple of questions. How much did your model cost you? It seems like it would be pretty costly (by my budget).

Quote from Jakg :Do you NEED that power on the move? I had this when I went to Uni - a decent laptop I could actually use as my sole PC would be £1k plus and still nowhere near as good as I want. I got my netbook for £220 which is fine for lectures etc and I built PC#2 for ~ £300 which was a quad with 6GB of RAM etcetcetc

If you need the machine in a lecture / lab class / seminar then I can understand, but if you'll be in your room doing it a desktop PC would work out a much MUCH better bet.

Warranty wise - Dont bother. Most manufacturers overcharge for it, and in 4 years you wont be using it - 4 years ago Athlons with 512MB of RAM were "top of the line", and if you've paid $300 to keep the thing serviced you'll feel like a bit of a chump.

EDIT - Only laptop I *love* would have to be the Asus VX32 because it actually feels like it justifies it's pricetag (although I would remove the stupid Lambo stickers), but even then i'd want a Quad.

Well, I don't want to stuff up my dorm room which I will have. Most of the places I am looking at has two people to a room (unless I get into the Honor's colleges) and I don't think I will have the room for it. Also, I will probably be using the engineering programs in the classes.

Btw, thanks for the thing about the warranty. I guess it really doesn't make sense to get that long a warranty. I will probably just get the standard warranty.

Finally, I have one more question. Actually, just my previous one. Are the new Intel i7's core chips so good that the 1.73 would be able to match the higher Core2Duo chips? Like what Core2Duo processor speed would have the same processing power as the Intel i7 processors.

Thanks,
Shashdev
Best advice was to get accidental damage cover. Then when your machine is outdated you "break" it and get a laptop of an equivelant price, which will be better a year on.
Quote from shashdev :Finally, I have one more question. Actually, just my previous one. Are the new Intel i7's core chips so good that the 1.73 would be able to match the higher Core2Duo chips? Like what Core2Duo processor speed would have the same processing power as the Intel i7 processors.

Thanks,
Shashdev

The i7s are quad-core vs. dual core for the C2Ds. The i7s also have a "turbo mode" aka self-overclocking. In general the i7 is a good improvement despite the lower advertised clock speed.
Quote from shashdev :...Thanks for the links. Also, a couple of questions. How much did your model cost you? It seems like it would be pretty costly (by my budget)...

I paid 1350€ in UK, but in the USA the same laptop with dual core instead was 1200$ and 1000$ for the lower version. I don't know how the prices are know, especially after the GT628 arrival.
Quote from piggy501 :Best advice was to get accidental damage cover. Then when your machine is outdated you "break" it and get a laptop of an equivelant price, which will be better a year on.

See, that makes sense, but most laptops that I have looked at don't just have accidental damage cover.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :The i7s are quad-core vs. dual core for the C2Ds. The i7s also have a "turbo mode" aka self-overclocking. In general the i7 is a good improvement despite the lower advertised clock speed.

How does the turbo mode work? Do you start it with some button, something in the computer, BIOS, ....?

Quote from R.Kolz :http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html

Thanks for that link. It's easy to understand.

Quote from NitroNitrous :I paid 1350€ in UK, but in the USA the same laptop with dual core instead was 1200$ and 1000$ for the lower version. I don't know how the prices are know, especially after the GT628 arrival.

That's a really good price. Something that I could afford and definitely what I want.

Finally, I am looking at this computer right now: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion ... qid=1257442136&sr=1-7

Do you guys think it's a good idea? It seems to have the specs that I want, and a pretty good price, but maybe one of you has somehting from hp. A few of my friends don't think it's a good company. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Shashdev
That's a good system. Only thing I'd suggest is to try to find one with a better graphics card and a better screen resolution at around the same price.

I'd hold off a couple weeks, though, and see what sort of deals Black Friday brings.

Re: "Turbo" mode: http://www.maximumpc.com/artic ... about_nehalems_turbo_mode
I think the graphics card is ok, I'd be more worried about the screen resolution, that's low for 3D modelling (you said you'll use them?). You can always buy a screen and plug it when you're at home, but then it's 1000$ + screen
Quote from NitroNitrous :That's a good system. Only thing I'd suggest is to try to find one with a better graphics card and a better screen resolution at around the same price.

I'd hold off a couple weeks, though, and see what sort of deals Black Friday brings.

Re: "Turbo" mode: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...ems_turbo_mode

Is there a certain graphics card you had in mind? Because that looked like a great graphics processor. Most of the laptops I was looking at in my price range have the intel integrated which is complete crap. And this one has 2gb graphics memory. That's pretty impressive for this price range.

Also, thanks for the link. Nice description. Btw, is LFS a single-threaded application? I won't be going through college without it.

Quote from NitroNitrous :I think the graphics card is ok, I'd be more worried about the screen resolution, that's low for 3D modelling (you said you'll use them?). You can always buy a screen and plug it when you're at home, but then it's 1000$ + screen

What do you think would be a good resolution to look at? I was actually hoping to get something in the 1600xsomething range, but they seem to be REALLY expensive. Is that what I should be looking at though?

Btw, stupid question...are the screen resolution hardware limited? I am pretty sure they are, but just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Shashdev
Here you have a chart with all graphic cards available for notebooks with a full description of each one and performance comparison. That ATI is quite nice for the price, just around the top of the 2nd class.
One thing about those 2Gb of video memory: 1Gb is from the videocard, the other 1Gb is taken from the ram.

The resolution is limited by the screen or the graphics card, but any decent card from the last 5 years is able to run at 2500+ pixels so basically the screen is the one that limits the resolution.

From my experience a resolution from 1680 allows you to work in a confortable way in 3D modelling or graphic design, beeing 1440x900 a decent one if there is not other choice.

I've been customizing a laptop in XoticPC. There is one called FORCE 3551 which is the same base than the MSI GT628 (that's great) and you can get it for 1120$ with the following specs:

15.4" 1680x1050
Core2Duo 2.4Ghz 3mb (Probably up to 2.9Ghz if you flash it with the bios of the MSI GT628 and activate the Turbo button)
nVidida GT160m
2x2046mb DDR3 1066
320Gb 7200rpm

It's slighly over your limit but just 120$ more than the HP with higher resolution, 10x times better videocard, lighter and nicer design. On the other hand it has no OS (add extra cost for it you wanna buy it).

Anyway if you like the HP is still a decent option IMO, beeing the screen the only drawback, but don't try to find a 100% perfect laptop because it doesn't exist

Quote from NitroNitrous :Here you have a chart with all graphic cards available for notebooks with a full description of each one and performance comparison. That ATI is quite nice for the price, just around the top of the 2nd class.
One thing about those 2Gb of video memory: 1Gb is from the videocard, the other 1Gb is taken from the ram.

The resolution is limited by the screen or the graphics card, but any decent card from the last 5 years is able to run at 2500+ pixels so basically the screen is the one that limits the resolution.

From my experience a resolution from 1680 allows you to work in a confortable way in 3D modelling or graphic design, beeing 1440x900 a decent one if there is not other choice.

I've been customizing a laptop in XoticPC. There is one called FORCE 3551 which is the same base than the MSI GT628 (that's great) and you can get it for 1120$ with the following specs:

15.4" 1680x1050
Core2Duo 2.4Ghz 3mb (Probably up to 2.9Ghz if you flash it with the bios of the MSI GT628 and activate the Turbo button)
nVidida GT160m
2x2046mb DDR3 1066
320Gb 7200rpm

It's slighly over your limit but just 120$ more than the HP with higher resolution, 10x times better videocard, lighter and nicer design. On the other hand it has no OS (add extra cost for it you wanna buy it).

Anyway if you like the HP is still a decent option IMO, beeing the screen the only drawback, but don't try to find a 100% perfect laptop because it doesn't exist

How long do you think that the laptops can run in turbo mode? Would it be possible to do it constantly, as in all the time, without it overheating? Also, it sounded fine until you said that there is no operating system. That is quite a cost on it's own and I can't justify it just for a higher resolution. Also, I don't plan on buying anything anytime soon, so maybe the prices will come down enough that I can afford something a little bit better!

Btw, having laptops with the same specs, what fps do you think LFS would run at with the Radeon on the Hp and the nVidia on the Force?

Thanks,
Shashdev
If the laptop is ready for that, indefined. I've been working with it activated more than 6 hours with non stop. Would be different if the laptop is not ready for doing it by the manufacturer and you overclock it by yourself, but if it's ready, no problem. I don't know in the others, but in the MSI you can only activate the Turbo when connected to the plug but never using the battery.

I suggest you to check this kind of stores with customized computers when you buy it, sometimes the differe with a "normal" laptop is huge in specs and small in price. Checking is frree, who knows

I'm studying abroad so I have never played LFS in my laptop, I prefer to do it when I go back home with my dear G25 , but I'm sure you can have 60 constant fps with both.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG