The online racing simulator
replacing the old CRT monitor
(26 posts, started )
Quote from Bob Smith :I'd imagine a modern TN panel is leaps and bounds ahead of early examples, and reaches the "good enough" level for most people. Other panels can look better, but many people won't pay a premium for extra quality beyond what they consider enough.

i think a quite damning way to judge panel types is by what type of tests credible sites run on them
the very very good german tft test site prad.de for example has some interesting methods for tn panels and only for tn panels
mainly they test if the panel is able to display a single colour homogenously (which really should tell you everything about tn that this is even an issue in the first place) and whether or not brightness inverts at high viewing angles

both of these are just inacceptible in whats supposed to replace crts based on merit
i dont understand why anyone would even consider buying something that in principle can not only not outperform but not even equal years old technology
and im not even talking about contrast ratios (which yes i know are usually equally rubbish on crts as old and burnt out as anything you can get nowerdays)

Quote from tristancliffe :But for general 'OAP Computing' there isn't any need for IPS.

in general computing i rarely have a viewing angle lower than 10° mostly larger than 20° since i like to lean on my desk with one arm which is more than enough to make any tn panel lose any sembalnce of good colour reproduction

btw pro tip
dont by any tft monitor that claims to have a contrast ratio higher than 1000:1

replacing the old CRT monitor
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG