The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Jeg nogle gange ønske, jeg kunne tale dansk. Richard kunne invitere mig til hans begivenhed da!
Quote from StableX :Jeg nogle gange ønske, jeg kunne tale dansk. Richard kunne invitere mig til hans begivenhed da!

He he..

Yes I could...but I didn`t thought about it m8.. Ant came and I would had loved to see you there too..maybe another time. This was only a test/fun race to check iRacing out..
site goes under maintenance at 13:50GMT tomorrow morning...new cars ?
Very possible! Can't wait
still gets me seeing people refer to 13.50 GMt as morning because of their timezone

well they said thursday so i suspect the down time's for the cars and hopefully they'll sort out the celtic logo at the same time
Here's a comment for Dave WS from one of the Real World Mazda drivers on the new build. I know you were less than impressed with the Mazda Dave:

Quote :Having just taken a few laps in the "new" car, I feel it is a lot closer to reality. When we switched to the radial tires one of the biggest problems we faced was how aggressive the front end became. You'd barely turn the wheel and the car shot off in that direction. The rear also became a whole lot more "knife edge". You will find that you will want more wing at some tracks than before, and that you will want your front aero percentage to be lower than previously desired. All of these issues seem to be prominent in the iRacing depiction of the car, which is "good" to see. It sucks from a driver's standpoint but it is realistic and can be tuned out of the car through good engineering in the setup. The acceptable "window" for setups will have become smaller with the new radial tires as well. The car is much more realistic with ride height and curb riding. One thing to keep in mind is that you dont want a car that is touching constantly around the track. The undertray of these cars is fairly ineffective at creating downforce. What would be ideal is a car that only touches under extreme vertical loading or at the end of the straightaways where downforce is highest. Overall the updates has brought the cars much closer to their real life counterparts.

Alex Ardoin

http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... ead.jspa?messageID=746281
Quote from spanks :site goes under maintenance at 13:50GMT tomorrow morning...new cars ?

We thought they were coming, but Steve Myers(iRacing) just said they found some issues though and maintenance has been pushed back to tomorrow now. Bummer.
-
(Crommi) DELETED by Crommi
Some people will no doubt be pissed and crying, but it's better to take time and fix problems than have a car that causes bad first impression.
Agreed, at least they just came out and said its delayed. I haven't seen any complaining yet. This will make Friday afternoon at work that much more excruciating as I'm going to want to get home and drive the Corvette.
Quote from UncleBenny :Agreed, at least they just came out and said its delayed. I haven't seen any complaining yet. This will make Friday afternoon at work that much more excruciating as I'm going to want to get home and drive the Corvette.

Don't worry, I'll give you constant updates. I may even tweet
but I have a midterm tomorrow >: (

Actually I shouldn't even messed with it today

It needs to be delayed until tomorrow 4:30 PST lol
Quote from StableX :Here's a comment for Dave WS from one of the Real World Mazda drivers on the new build. I know you were less than impressed with the Mazda Dave:

http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... ead.jspa?messageID=746281

Thanks for that. While its good to hear positive thoughts from a driver who races the real thing, I still there is something fudumentally wrong somewhere, be it with the tyre physics or something else.

Having had a go with the new Mazda, the FFB feels better, but TBH not that much is different IMO. I think alot of people are getting a placebo like effect.

My problem with the Mazda has only ever been with the snappiness of the car after correcting a slide. I went Karting again yesterday, and in a vehicle which weighs much much less, has no suspension to speak of and has no doubt a much smaller moment of inertia (resisting yaw), I was able to happily throw it around from side to side through chicanes with relative ease. The Mazda still(!) has no transient phase after correcting a slide, the car just snaps the other way instantly.

I'm sure there are people out there who would say to me, "hey I've corrected very loose moments in the Mazda without problems.." to which I'd respond, so have I! That's the stupid thing about it, sometimes you can get it completely sideways by mistake and recover no problem, it's just a lottery.

The way you are forced to set the car up is to keep the rear planted at all times, and at least in iRacing it is naturally a very very understeery car, which seems to suit the majority of iracers very much. I on the other hand like to build a fair amount of oversteer into the suspension (as 99% of cars in iRacing bar the skippy have midcorner understeer), so that the car is neutral mid corner and you spend your time feeling the tyres front and back through the steering and making subconsious adjustments as you go through. The way the Mazda is currently driven in iRacing is limited by the grip at the fronts, so more often than not you just turn in and wait. Watch any onboard video from the star Mazda site, and you can see how the car allows the driver to balance the car much more through the steering wheel.

http://www.starmazda.com/multimedia/video.htm#

Edit: Specifically notice how in the Sebring lap the driver has to correct twice exiting the final corner. I would not be able to do such a thing in iRacing without it snapping back the other way in a matter of milliseconds and throwing me into the wall.

The VIR (virginia) lap demonstrates it even better. The driver is balancing the car midcorner all the way through the lap. Again, not possible to drive like this in the iRacing version.
I just don't know if what you're talking about will be possible in any sim, ever. I think its harder to catch slides in a sim compared to real life because we are sitting in front of a computer with no forces acting on us. In real life, drivers can do that because they can feel everything the car is doing, the split second they start losing the back end, a quick flick of the wheel and they catch it. I think its just really hard to simulate something like that through wheel FFB alone. Also, what makes the aliens in iRacing so fast? I'm sure there are guys who can catch slides 99% of the time in the Mazda, I don't know how, but they're doing something right.

I've noticed that a high FOV helps with catching slides, when you start rotating too much, you noticed it REALLY quickly if your FOV is higher.
Quote from UncleBenny :I just don't know if what you're talking about will be possible in any sim, ever. I think its harder to catch slides in a sim compared to real life because we are sitting in front of a computer with no forces acting on us. In real life, drivers can do that because they can feel everything the car is doing, the split second they start losing the back end, a quick flick of the wheel and they catch it. I think its just really hard to simulate something like that through wheel FFB alone. Also, what makes the aliens in iRacing so fast? I'm sure there are guys who can catch slides 99% of the time in the Mazda, I don't know how, but they're doing something right.

I think once you've gotten used to the difference in or lack of feedback that a sim provides compared to real life the excuse of "real drivers can feel everything" no longer applies. I know for me that I feel as connected with the car in a sim as I do IRL. I think as long as you have a very high fps and therefore no steering lag, and a good ffb wheel, there is enough feedback for your brain to be able to respond as well as it would in the real thing. I have no problem with car control in the other cars in iRacing, some of them such as the Skippy and the SK, are a joy to balance on the limit. Likewise in LFS I have no problem with the rear end getting a little loose, although LFS is perhaps a little too forgiving there.

Regarding what makes the aliens in iRacing so fast, as I've said they just set the car up so that the front will always wash out before the rear does. I can do the same, and get pretty similar laptimes, but it's just not fun when you have to change your driving completely to compete. I'm just praying the Corvette turns out to be a sweetly balanced car like the Skippy and SK are. (A road car which drove like the SK takes left handers would be awesome...)

Quote from UncleBenny :I've noticed that a high FOV helps with catching slides, when you start rotating too much, you noticed it REALLY quickly if your FOV is higher.

Interesting you say that, because I've heard the opposite from other drivers. IIRC Greger Huttu uses 60(?) degrees FOV.
Quote from DaveWS : Interesting you say that, because I've heard the opposite from other drivers. IIRC Greger Huttu uses 60(?) degrees FOV.

Actually, I was thinking of things backwards now that I think about it again. When I said high FOV, I really meant lower haha. I first noticed it when iRacing put the multihead display change in, which took my FOV from like 115 down to 105 or something like that. Huttu using 60 makes sense.
Fair enough Dave... I have to say that there is absolutely no way I feel as connected in a sim to a real car... not a chance!

Karts are different in my view. I went karting not too long ago and I just can't assimilate karts to sims.

I'd like Tristan to give it a go and give his verdict as he drives singleseaters all the time. I only drive them rarely and my background is more rallying to track racing....

However, i think it's good to hear from someone that does actually drive the Mazda and hear their view. Just wanted to let you know though dave .

Regarding setting cars up to be fastest, you are always going to get people setting up their car for speed rather than realism, seeing as the nature of driving in leagues online is to win rather than drive for realism. Another reason a lot of drivers with a clutched G25, don't use it.
Quote from StableX :I'd like Tristan to give it a go and give his verdict as he drives singleseaters all the time. I only drive them rarely and my background is more rallying to track racing....

However, i think it's good to hear from someone that does actually drive the Mazda and hear their view. Just wanted to let you know though dave .

I'd also like to hear his view, specifically on the Mazda. At the moment I'm more or less on my own it seems with my opinion! But yeah thanks for pointing the thread / post out to me.

It's also interesting that you don't feel as connected.. what FPS do you run at normally? Do you have a good wheel? I find it completely understandable that a driver who is used to feedback from driving IRL will suffer initially through losing a lot of feel, but eventually your brain gets used to it no? Everyone is different I guess.
Quote from DaveWS :I'd also like to hear his view, specifically on the Mazda. At the moment I'm more or less on my own it seems with my opinion! But yeah thanks for pointing the thread / post out to me.

It's also interesting that you don't feel as connected.. what FPS do you run at normally? Do you have a good wheel? I find it completely understandable that a driver who is used to feedback from driving IRL will suffer initially through losing a lot of feel, but eventually your brain gets used to it no? Everyone is different I guess.

yeah, I've had a fanatec Porsche 911 but now back to my DFP sadly. With either I get a connection but nothing compared to the real thing. I think your brain gets used to a game rather than you feeling like its the same as a real car

There have been some interesting threads over the last couple of days over there. I do find it a little odd though for a sim like iRacing to be trying to make cars as close to the real thing as they can yet with the Spec Racer, it's been drastically changed from a super huge fun handful to something very easy to drive. It makes me think why release it before if it was so far from how it should be.
when are the corvette and dallara coming? I thought they'd be released by now/// ah i see benny's post. not till tomorrow
it was a vid of dave losing it, right?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG