The online racing simulator
Best Headphones?
(36 posts, started )
Best Headphones?
Now that I am sharing a house with other peeps using my mega bass subwoofer system isnt really an option anymore, so I need some decent headphones.

I do have a cheapie pair, but the bass reproduction is very "floppy" and they are not very comfortable, after about 30mins they start to hurt my ears.

So, I need a reasonably priced pair of good headphones that will serve for gaming as well as music

Suggestions?.

Cheers

Dan,
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ's that work very well, the sound reproduction is great and they're very comfortable. I paid $150 for them but you'd probably get them for around 90 pounds
#4 - Vain
While suggestions are being gathered, I'd also like to hear your suggestions on good headphone with a microphone.

Vain
Quote from 96 GTS :I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ's that work very well, the sound reproduction is great and they're very comfortable. I paid $150 for them but you'd probably get them for around 90 pounds

Those are quite good headphones, but actually the BEST rated headphones by studios and DJ's are the Sony MDR-V6's (or Studio Monitor V6's).

All the latest Sony models are cheap plastic construction, and they will break with average use. It is the most common issue with them. I owned V5's earlier, and they broke at the swivel points, and the slider adjustment areas. Just stress fractures or something.

There are newer versions of the V6's which are mostly plastic too, and they have an egg shaped earcup. Those are the bad ones. But it seems Sony has started to remake the older models because so many people want more. Howard Stern's show uses them, if you ever watch that. But anyways, they are a great model if you ever get to try them out or get lucky finding them to buy them. They were once sold on NewEgg, but no longer . My friend owns the V7's, and I like them too, but there is something about the clarity and bass levels in the V6's that make music sound much more alive.

The other strange thing is, my friend can hear things some people cannot. He is a musician, and has an ear for things, and when he makes music he hears stuff I can hardly hear. He tried the V7's when he first saw our friend using them, and said he couldn't hear any of the details he specifically put in his song. He could only hear those details with his V6 headphones or speakers, which I found kind of odd. But hey, not all headphones are the same. As long as they are comfortable and sound good, that is what counts (oh and a long coiled cord with metal plug is worth it too)
I don't know about BEST headphones, but when I bought my Beyerdynamic DT531:s few years ago I was awed by the sound quality and the fidelity. Before these headphones I had been buying some crap 50-100e headphones, the DT531:s cost a bit over 300e when I got them. I think the sound quality is top of the line (bass is the nicest I've heard from headphones), comfort rocks (altho the velvet pads have hardened a bit in the years) and the price was, in my opinion, low for this kind of quality. I'm sure there has been several updated versions of these headphones since I bought these, so they must have only gotten better by the years.

A pic and short review at > http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co ... t/beyerdynamic-dt531.html
I have also been recommended to the "Sennheiser HD280Pro", I can pick these up for about £80, any thoughts on these?.

Dan,
#8 - P1lot
I undertand there are headphones with 6 internal speakers to give directional feedback - I hope LFS supports that in the future, then I would be straight out to buy some!
I recently bought a set of SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 headphones (ebuyer link), and I'm seriously impressed

Btw there are 2 types, one that requires a 5.1 soundcard and a USB version that doesn't, I went for the non USB. It comes with a little amp that has sockets for 2 sets of headphones, and pass-thru connectors so you can connect on to your existing amp. There's also a ProGamer edition, not quite sure what the extras are with that but it's a bit more expensive.
i buyed a sennheiser pc150 some months ago and im really happy with that one. costs about 60€ in germany. http://www.sennheisercommunica ... ro-Gaming?ProductId=PC150

if youve got some more money i would go for pc160/165.

very nice sound and the mic is perfect.

sennheiser is everytime a good buy, also if you only want headphones.

btw, i used the medusa sometimes from a friend and i think its really shit.
Any of the Sennheiser HD "DJ" set for pure sound quality. I use the HD212 Pro's. RRP 40 quid, you can get them somewhere for £26. Fantastic quality. Bear in mind that the PC series is tuned for communication not cinematic audio or music like the HDs.
Using open back Grados myself, not that comfy either. Clarity shames everything else I've heard though. Not really that great for gaming or prolonged use - my Beyers were better for that, and SOOO comfy - a shame they sound so muffled and coloured in comparison now.
I use Seinnheisser PX200's!

They are cheap at just a shade under £40 GBP... They may not be the most comfortable but they do for me!
#15 - Vain
Thanks for the Planatronics-link. But I have a question: Can the DSP-500 also run on normal soundcards or only (and solely) via USB? While USB is nice for windows, I'd also like to be able to use it without any hassle via my soundcard under Linux.

Vain
Quote from TechAde :I recently bought a set of SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 headphones (ebuyer link), and I'm seriously impressed

Btw there are 2 types, one that requires a 5.1 soundcard and a USB version that doesn't, I went for the non USB. It comes with a little amp that has sockets for 2 sets of headphones, and pass-thru connectors so you can connect on to your existing amp. There's also a ProGamer edition, not quite sure what the extras are with that but it's a bit more expensive.

Had mine for 18 months now and have got many within my clan to dump their crap headsets and get on of these babies. Perfect headset yet cheap as chips for £30. Not heard of the pro gamer one though, shall investigate
#17 - Vain
I just went to look for the Medusa-headphones. In germany I can't find them lower than 45£ (67€), interestingly. That's a 50% price difference.

Vain
yep thats the same for the US guys in my clan. They only ship from UK IIRC. The box they come in is quite big and heavy, top quality protection from damage, as such i'd suspect that shipping for anyone from the UK would be around the £15 or near enough. Shame thoug as i know it puts off a lot of buyers.
#19 - Vain
Horray globalization!

Vain
Quote from Vain :Thanks for the Planatronics-link. But I have a question: Can the DSP-500 also run on normal soundcards or only (and solely) via USB? While USB is nice for windows, I'd also like to be able to use it without any hassle via my soundcard under Linux.

Vain

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for that. As I only use Windows, I don't how it matches with Linux.

[ ]'s
#21 - SamH
On headsets, I'm using a set of Plantronics Audio90s. They're not bad on frequency response including a fair bass, the microphone is good quality, but most of all they're REALLY comfortable. They don't "clamp" anywhere.. they just seem to float about 1/4" above my head. I can wear them all day. Price is about £20, which is pretty good for what you get. Most of our team have this headset.
If you have an iPod, use those, if not, buy an iPod. Their headphones are great!
Quote from Skyline_Drifter_ :If you have an iPod, use those, if not, buy an iPod. Their headphones are great!

Err, yeah, whatever. Not quite in the same league.
I use Grados (SR60) like Bob, the sound is very sweet, although they do become uncomfortable after about 2 hours I find.

Have a look at beyer headphones too, they mostly do professional models (regarded as industry standard) but they are comfy.
I have AKG K240S studio headphones; I paid $125 American. I think those are reasnoable. If not, AKG K-44's can be found for $25 American. I still have them, and one thing I liked is that you can wear them for hours and they are quite comfortable.

Best Headphones?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG