The online racing simulator
MotoGP
(298 posts, started )
Do you have any evidence to support this hypothesis?
No but thinking about it, I reckon its evenstevens because a heavier rider will take longer to switch from side to side, but has the extra weight to get the bike banked down more quickly.
Please confirm. You're saying a heavier rider would take longer to shift his body on the bike but that the additional mass enables him to exert greater leverage on the bike, thereby leaning the bike over faster?
Quote from Forbin :Please confirm. You're saying a heavier rider would take longer to shift his body on the bike but that the additional mass enables him to exert greater leverage on the bike, thereby leaning the bike over faster?

Yes, but a lighter rider has less weight and thus can move HIMSELF across the bike faster but having a lesser gravitational effect on the bikes lateral roll.
You're assuming a rider leans a bike over using his weight. This is a widely accepted but horribly wrong assumption.

A rider changes lean angle using pressure on the bars. When the desired lean angle is reached, he releases that pressure and the bike maintains that angle.

I think you are correct in suggesting a heavier rider will result in a more stable bike, but ultimate stability is not what racing is about. A heavier rider will tend to contribute to a greater roll moment, possibly canceled by a heavier rider's superior upper body strength.

In steady state cornering, I think being a bit heavier may be an advantage because you can more easily relocate the center of gravity to the inside, thereby increasing the effective lean angle. However, this may be counteracted by being harder on tires. And, obviously, straight line performance will be negatively affected.
Quote from Forbin :You're assuming a rider leans a bike over using his weight. This is a widely accepted but horribly wrong assumption.

A rider changes lean angle using pressure on the bars. When the desired lean angle is reached, he releases that pressure and the bike maintains that angle.

I think you are correct in suggesting a heavier rider will result in a more stable bike, but ultimate stability is not what racing is about. A heavier rider will tend to contribute to a greater roll moment, possibly canceled by a heavier rider's superior upper body strength.

In steady state cornering, I think being a bit heavier may be an advantage because you can more easily relocate the center of gravity to the inside, thereby increasing the effective lean angle. However, this may be counteracted by being harder on tires. And, obviously, straight line performance will be negatively affected.

You mis-understand me but you basically just explained what I was going to say anyway. :P I am aware that to turn a motorcycle you don't just LEAN to each side.
FP1 just finished for Phillip Island..

Rossi set the fastest time with a 1:31.03 followed by Stoner, possible seagul hit Kanepa on the left arm.. so his ride for the rest of the weekend is unsure..

Quote :
MotoGP Free Practice Nr. 1 Classification PDF
Pos. Num. Rider Nation Team Motorcycle Lap time Km/h Gap
1 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 1'31.032 317.491
2 27 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1'31.167 323.462 0.135
3 3 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 1'31.528 317.584 0.496
4 15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 1'31.786 322.116 0.754
5 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 1'31.846 315.918 0.814
6 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 1'32.077 314.086 1.045
7 52 James TOSELAND GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 1'32.255 315.458 1.223
8 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 1'32.502 319.269 1.470
9 36 Mika KALLIO FIN Pramac Racing Ducati 1'32.572 322.308 1.540
10 65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 1'32.606 315.366 1.574
11 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1'32.771 316.471 1.739
12 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 1'32.808 316.749 1.776
13 24 Toni ELIAS SPA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 1'33.304 320.591 2.272
14 33 Marco MELANDRI ITA Hayate Racing Team Kawasaki 1'33.422 315.642 2.390
15 7 Chris VERMEULEN AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 1'33.504 311.200 2.472
16 41 Gabor TALMACSI HUN Scot Racing Team MotoGP Honda 1'33.818 309.423 2.786
17 88 Niccolo CANEPA ITA Pramac Racing Ducati 1'34.546 313.995 3.514

Quote from BlueFlame :You mis-understand me but you basically just explained what I was going to say anyway. :P I am aware that to turn a motorcycle you don't just LEAN to each side.

You just keep digging that hole mate! Seriously funny reading your posts here
Quote from sil3ntwar :You just keep digging that hole mate! Seriously funny reading your posts here

I'm aware the concept of bikingmotor. Steering to lean is very nice crispy bike.
wow stoners and rossi's riding styles are extremely different in the braking zones.
stoners pulling a slight gap
edit - rossi is riding very aggressive right now, could get very interesting.
Yes!! \o/ Awesome job by Casey
Despite the lack of passing at the front, that was still impressive seeing both Rossi and Stoner push like that.

Sucks for Lorenzo. Silly mistake.
indeed i wanted to see it go down to the wire and it was looking like lorenzo could of made it happen. Not that he would of beat rossi at phillip island, especially in that condition. Shows he still has much to learn.
Quote from BenjiMC :Indeed. I wanted to see it go down to the wire and it was looking like Lorenzo could have made it happen. Not that he would have beaten Rossi at Phillip Island, especially in that condition. It shows he still has much to learn.

Sorry, "could of" and "would of" really bug me, and I couldn't resist taking it a couple steps further.

Could 'ave and would 'ave are how most people say those phrases, I think, leaving off the "H" sound. I suspect that's where the confusion comes from.

/grammar police
Quote from Forbin :Sorry, "could of" and "would of" really bugs me, and I couldn't resist taking it a step further.

"Could 'ave" and "would 'ave" are, how most people say those phrases, I think, leaving off the "H" sound. I suspect that's where the confusion comes from.

/grammar police

Wow, I bet you're a laugh at the pub..
Quote from BenjiMC :Wow, I bet you're a laugh at the pub..

no... coz ud go upto him

nut him

and shout

AVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from BreadC :no... coz ud go upto him

nut him

and shout

AVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl
Lorenzo starting from dead last, Rossi starting from pole and Lorenzo is past him by T3. WTF.
But Rossi brings it home - 2009 World Champion.

Nice to see Osvaldo make an appearance.
congrats to Rossi on his 9th world championship and 7th in the premier class
I hope that the grid will increase in future years again... well done doctore
Congratulations to Rossi:bowdown:

MotoGP
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG