The online racing simulator
Quote from pik_d :Just sayin' that you 100% pulled this post right out of your ass. Way to go.

Oh man that's told me hasn't it?

I got schooled.
Quote from DarkTimes :I think if Button had won six out of the last seven races, instead of the first seven, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I completely agree with that. If this had happened everyone would be talking about his amazing form at the end of the season and how he pulled the championship out the bag.

Either way it comes down to this: The three main title contenders all had racers which are worthy of them taking the WDC, but they also have had races which should of ruled them out of the championship. While Vettel was in a different car, which you can say was not so dominant at the beginning of the season. Button still beat Barrichello in the same car, so we can say for certainty Button deserves the championship more the Barrichello. No matter what the performances over some of the GP’s the most worthy champion is the one with the most points at the end of the season. That is the whole point of having the points system, to see who has been the most consitantly the best over the season.
It's a ridiculous argument. "The winner only won because he had a winning car to win with". No sh1t sh3rlock. Welcome to the world of racing with cars that are not completely identical. A car is only ever as good as the driver makes it look, though, and Button made his Brawn look a lot better for more of the season than anyone else made their car look.

It's a championship season, it's about scoring points. Look at Nicky Hayden's win in MotoGP 2006. He only occasionally looked good, and never looked brilliant, but he put the points on the board that he needed to, and that's why he is a World Champion.
Quote from sinbad :It's a championship season, it's about scoring points. Look at Nicky Hayden's win in MotoGP 2006.

Let's not!
WOOHOOO BUTTON!
Quote from Mustafur :92 was a joke the car basically drove it self, ABS, Traction control the works.

Ha ha ha ha, how ignorant you are.
Quote from sinbad :It's a ridiculous argument. "The winner only won because he had a winning car to win with". No sh1t sh3rlock. Welcome to the world of racing with cars that are not completely identical. A car is only ever as good as the driver makes it look, though, and Button made his Brawn look a lot better for more of the season than anyone else made their car look.

It's a championship season, it's about scoring points. Look at Nicky Hayden's win in MotoGP 2006. He only occasionally looked good, and never looked brilliant, but he put the points on the board that he needed to, and that's why he is a World Champion.

Exactly, but people will pick holes in anything given half a chance.

We live in a society that considers it a good thing to be a loser, quite sad really.

Quote from Mustafur :92 was a joke the car basically drove it self, ABS, Traction control the works.

The car had a lot of driving aids, but so did quite a lot of the rest of the field.
1982 was a pretty unique year, nobody had more than 2 wins the entire season.
Quote from 5haz :1982 was a pretty unique year, nobody had more than 2 wins the entire season.

And the winner of the WDC only got 1 win.
For me Button will be remembered as the driver who won [his only] championship despite being the second best driver in the best car.

His early season form was thanks in full to Barrichello setting it up for him. His late season qualifying was thanks in full to Barrichello no longer doing that for him, but jeez has he been lucky. They say you make your own luck, but watching Button's season this year has been like watching somebody consistently win the national lottery even when they didnt buy a ticket.

He has driven well, and i'll acknowledge that. The tyre rules in particular have suited his style - this is the year it all came together for him.

I just think over the season Barichello was better in every respect bar one: That little detail about scoring points.
Quote from Becky Rose :For me Button will be remembered as the driver who won [his only] championship despite being the second best driver in the best car.

His early season form was thanks in full to Barrichello setting it up for him. His late season qualifying was thanks in full to Barrichello no longer doing that for him, but jeez has he been lucky. They say you make your own luck, but watching Button's season this year has been like watching somebody consistently win the national lottery even when they didnt buy a ticket.

He has driven well, and i'll acknowledge that. The tyre rules in particular have suited his style - this is the year it all came together for him.

I just think over the season Barichello was better in every respect bar one: That little detail about scoring points.

I am not 100% in agreement with you that he's been lucky but once Brawn changed the brake material for Ruben's car Barrichello has made Button look average. Let's not forget Rubens should be collecting his pension

But part of F1 is delivering when you have an opportunity. When Jenson had the best car, with the best set-up guys next to him, as well as a bonafide genius in Ross Brawn he won.

Very rarely does the best driver win the WDC anyway. This year Hamilton has been the best driver by quite some margin in my opinion. Kimi has done awesomely well too. Last year it was Alonso who was the best.
I have to agree with you there Becky, but Button has been in F1 along time, and when Barrichello came from 18th to win (Germany 2000) in the Ferrari Button came from 16nd to get 4th place in the Williams of 2000 in his first season. Jenson has deserved this championship for all the other good drives he has had in the past that evolved to nothing because the car was shit or they were using fuel tanks as ballast and not following the rules. In a sense he didn't deserve it on this year alone, but I've been watching F1 along time, and Jenson has deserved it from the very beginning, just as Barrichello has.
Quote from Intrepid :This year Hamilton has been the best driver by quite some margin in my opinion.

That's because you are an Hamilton Fanboy.
So what if Button was lucky, you need luck to get anywhere in motor racing, and in life in general.

Senna used to nick Prost's setup ideas when they both drove for Mclaren.

And Button outdrove Rubens on Ruben's own setup. Just as Senna would take Prost's setup and outqualify him back in 1988.

This just stinks of people looking for excuses.
Quote from ATHome :That's because you are an Hamilton Fanboy.

Yh I am Hamilton fanboy! That's why I recognised that last year Alonso was superior to anyone on the grid

One thing that is 100% true - Britian rules motorsport
Strange. People don't actually KNOW RB was behind the setups, it's assumed.

And how on earth did Barrichello being slower than Jenson in all but two races (I think) plus a few qualifying sessions make Jenson look average. On the same logic, Kovi made Hamilton look average.

Jenson has barely made any mistakes all year, and all of the ones he has made have (pretty much) been in qualifying. But not all the qualifying disasters can be attributed to him, but to the team - when they send him out, advice given regarding car management etc), or to luck (Suzuka for instance). Some of the issues, at least between Silverstone and Monza, were purely down to the car not working the tyres hard enough in cool conditions, and something that was developed out of the car by now (mostly).

Yet in the race, Jenson has routinely been up there, as quick as anyone (except when they had the tyre temp problems, but even then he usually got just as much out of it in a race than RB did), making passes that Hamilton couldn't, being the most consistent driver (in terms of points per race, laptimes over a stint), except when traffic has held him up. Being stuck behind KERS cars for instance, has meant on occasion he's lost lots of time through no fault of his own in the race.

Barrichello has been mediocre (by F1 standards, but obviously mega by mortal standards) all season with only one or two exceptions, and only has a lot of points due to the car finishing a lot of races and him not being awful.

Vettel has the pace, but not the maturity in the first part of the season. It took him 6 months to learn that. In contrast it took Lewis 2 and a half years, until the middle of this season.

No, Jenson isn't the next Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Villeneuve. But he's still the champion, and did it in a far better, more deserving style than Lewis or Kimi managed in my opinion. For starters Jenson didn't drive into a single parked car in the pitlane, or crash into the worlds smallest gravel trap.
Quote from Intrepid :Yh I am Hamilton fanboy! That's why I recognised that last year Alonso was superior to anyone on the grid

One thing that is 100% true - Britian rules motorsport

So Mercedes and Ferrari are now British are they? Audi and Peugeot in Le-mans are now British? Porsche's unbeatable list of Le-mans victories, hmm must be a british conspiracy as to why they won right?
Quote from tristancliffe :
Vettel has the pace, but not the maturity in the first part of the season. It took him 6 months to learn that. In contrast it took Lewis 2 and a half years, until the middle of this season.

It hasn't taken Lewis 2 years to mature, you're talking out of your anti-hamilton arse, the graveltrap incident lets remember is because his tires were shot and ALL drivers push into the pitlane, you're an idiot if you don't. The pitlane incident WAS a gaff up but it's not often you find yourself in that situation.
Quote from BlueFlame :So Mercedes and Ferrari are now British are they?

errr.. Mclaren design their cars, and the Merc engines are built in the UK I believe. Also when Ferrari were dominant they had a certain Englishman running the show.

It's just a fact Brits are best when it comes to motorsport.
Quote from BlueFlame :So Mercedes and Ferrari are now British are they? Audi and Peugeot in Le-mans are now British? Porsche's unbeatable list of Le-mans victories, hmm must be a british conspiracy as to why they won right?

Theres usually always at least one fairly prominent British person behind every major motorsport effort, to say that we rule it though is perhaps a bit too far.

I think Porsche rules motorsport, or at least they used to, they've let their crown slip.

Theres no doubt that Button is a steadier, more consistant driver than Hamilton. Give Button the perfect car in perfect conditions and he'll probrably win, give Hamilton the same and theres a chance he'll make a massive mistake or win very spectacularly, Hamilton is closer to the edge but itcomes at a price.
Quote from ATHome :That's because you are an Hamilton Fanboy.

This is not necessarily against you, but what is with this forum. Anytime anyone says their opinion, especially in favour of Hamilton, the standard response seems to be “fanboy” Personally speaking, I am not a fanboy of Hamilton, however no matter what your opinion of him is you have to admit he is a good driver. Just to be in Formula 1 you have to be the best of the best and to battle to win 2 WDC and win 1 of them you have to be very very good. Now as I said I am not a fanboy but I do support Hamilton for 3 reasons, 1. He drives a McLaren, 2. He is British and 3. He is a good driver.

/rant over.

Hamilton has had some good drives this year though and he has finished in places his car was in reality not quick enough to be there.

Edit: Agree completely with Tristan above.
Quote from tristancliffe : No, Jenson isn't the next Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Villeneuve. But he's still the champion, and did it in a far better, more deserving style than Lewis or Kimi managed in my opinion. For starters Jenson didn't drive into a single parked car in the pitlane, or crash into the worlds smallest gravel trap.

Jenson had a MASSIVE points gap after 7 races. He could chill a lot more. Mistakes happen under pressure. When Hamilton was racing he had two of the best drivers hunting him down in 07 - Alonso/Kimi. Button had an Rubens/Webber/Vettel - hardly world beaters!

You recognised yourself his main rival Rubens is mediocre by F1 standards. Alonso and Kimi clearly are NOT that and they are the guys that Hamilton has had to deal with over his championship contending years.

And bar a weird bizarre ending in 07 Hamilton was a model of consistency! How many consecutive podiums in his ffiirrrssttt year!
Quote from BlueFlame :It hasn't taken Lewis 2 years to mature, you're talking out of your anti-hamilton arse, the graveltrap incident lets remember is because his tires were shot and ALL drivers push into the pitlane, you're an idiot if you don't. The pitlane incident WAS a gaff up but it's not often you find yourself in that situation.

Yes it did. Look at Brazil last year. Driving like a clown. Look at the beginning of this year? Driving like a clown and moaning in a stupid way because it wasn't going very well. Once McLaren managed to make the car go around corners he's been driving better than ever (though he's still not at Alonso's level overall, or Schumacher's), and a few races this year he's been STUNNING in (and I say that as an anti-Hatemelol).

But it took him a while to get there.
Hatemelol's Law: Any internet F1 discussion will inevitably become a Lewis Hamilton discussion

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG