The online racing simulator
Malaysian-backed Lotus F1 Racing gears up for 2010
They dont look ready at all, Toyota had a car going around a track 2 years before they entered F1, I still remain unconvinced these new teams are going to be able to achieve much.

If they're going to have any chance of racking up a few points they really do need to get the rubber on the tarmac before xmas, and this being the first pics from a new team and by all accounts looks like a sanded bolted wooden mockup, I think they have a very long way to go and not long to do it in.
#3 - Jakg
Not just Lotus backed - Proton are also getting their hand in too. From personal experience, they make some damn fast cars!
Proton, fast? Isn't the biggest engine they make a 1.8 or something? I can't say i've ever had a Proton keep up with me away from the lights - even since I took to cycling.
#5 - Jakg
Ok that post was tongue in cheek, but Proton have "made" (i.e. bought from Mitsubishi and dropped it in their cars) a 2L V6 Saloon (Perdana, pimpalicious if I do say so myself. - very rare in the UK).

For "real" cars they did a (shit) version of mine with a 1.8, the Satria GTI (which was ACTUALLY tuned by Lotus and so didn't handle that bad) with a 1.8, the same engine in a Coupe / Putra, and then something a little different in the Proton Satria R3 (basically a homogolation model, which isn't in the UK due to emissions).

</Proton Geek>

The fact the average age of a Proton driver (here at least) is about 75 probably doesn't help.
Please tell me these engines have turbos or something ?
The gotta have turbos. Otherwise they would be allways be last

And Protoins arent that bad tho I have old rally game and there is a Proton competing whit WRC cars
#8 - Jakg
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, not from the factory...

You can get all the engines with turbos, but Proton just don't buy them. Plus their customers (in Malaysia, home of the "mad tight Proton p1mp1ng scen3 y0!") DIY it when they want it, anyway...

EDIT - The WRC ones were something like this (and yes, that is a racing stripe...!). They were good in the day - but not exactly thanks to Proton's doing!
I think the F1 is not going to make in Proton factory
#10 - Jakg
Seeing as Proton have no money, at all, I can't see this lasting long at all, but hey.
I heard that Maleisian government is going to help them
#12 - Jakg
LOL.

The Malaysian government bought a fleet of Perdana's to help Proton out, eventually the servicing cost so much they found it was cheaper to buy a bunch of E-Class Mercedes' rather than service the old Protons!
Their own lose tho
Quote from Becky Rose :
If they're going to have any chance of racking up a few points they really do need to get the rubber on the tarmac before xmas, and this being the first pics from a new team and by all accounts looks like a sanded bolted wooden mockup, I think they have a very long way to go and not long to do it in.

That's probably because it is a wooden mock up for wind tunnel.

I'm sure they have it done in time. Do some testing in wind tunnel, make the parts, fit all the bulk parts they've bought and put some stickers on it. How hard can it be?
Yes,how hard it can be...
Quote from Blackout :That's probably because it is a wooden mock up for wind tunnel.

I'm sure they have it done in time. Do some testing in wind tunnel, make the parts, fit all the bulk parts they've bought and put some stickers on it. How hard can it be?

My point was that if they want to be competetive they're a long way behind already, they've no run time experience with the car at all if they're still at the early mock up stages. You don't get anywhere in F1 with an unreliable car, these new teams need to have rigs out there clocking up laps and their engineers learning already - perfecting the aero package later.
They simply said,that they want the best driver and they WILL get best drivers

lol
Quote from manneF1 :They simply said,that they want the best driver and they WILL get best drivers

lol

Well I do happen to be available, but I want an engine put it in and not pedal power.
Quote from Becky Rose :My point was that if they want to be competetive they're a long way behind already, they've no run time experience with the car at all if they're still at the early mock up stages. You don't get anywhere in F1 with an unreliable car, these new teams need to have rigs out there clocking up laps and their engineers learning already - perfecting the aero package later.

Yeah, didn't say they were going anywhere, there is going to be lots of really crap cars in the grid next year.

Does the testing limits apply to the new teams too or not?
Quote from Blackout :Yeah, didn't say they were going anywhere, there is going to be lots of really crap cars in the grid next year.

Does the testing limits apply to the new teams too or not?

If it does, then it applies from next year... Which is why they should be out there with a basic F1 car as soon as humanly possible and learning - solving the errors like McLarens weight distribution issue at the start of the season, and such things like that.
Another reason why the testing ban should be lifted. How on Earth are completely brand-new teams EVER going to catch up when they have NO in-season testing?
Quote from Becky Rose :Well I do happen to be available, but I want an engine put it in and not pedal power.

Majority of the new teams are using the FIA's cheaper cost cosworth supplied engine deal aren't they?
Quote from DejaVu :Majority of the new teams are using the FIA's cheaper cost cosworth supplied engine deal aren't they?

yeah, but all they got so far is a soap box !
Quote from Becky Rose :If they're going to have any chance of racking up a few points they really do need to get the rubber on the tarmac before xmas, and this being the first pics from a new team and by all accounts looks like a sanded bolted wooden mockup, I think they have a very long way to go and not long to do it in.

They're looking at rolling the car out by mid-Februrary: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79431

By Xmas, the car will only exist as CAD drawings and mockups, I'm afraid.
they obviously know next year is a lost cause but it will be a learning experince none the less.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG