The online racing simulator
Why doesn't the Large Hadron Collider work?
(32 posts, started )
I already used a Douglas Adams quote in a recent post, but this one seems to fit this topic quite well so I thought I would post it.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
If it works LFS will become the real world and the real world will become LFS
Saw this last night on C4 news, (that profesor really does sound like Dr Strangelove, i.e. a complete loon) Krishnan's face when it returned to the studio was classic

Mind you, there have been some strange goings on over there. It seemed to miss everyone's attention, but a couple of guys who worked there were arrested for having terrorist links with Al Qaeda a few weeks ago !
Quote from Mazz4200 :Saw this last night on C4 news, (that profesor really does sound like Dr Strangelove, i.e. a complete loon) Krishnan's face when it returned to the studio was classic

Me and the missus were creased up, practically rolling around on the floor when Dr Strangelove piped up. We were convinced it was a wind-up by that point.

QS: Perhaps unsurprisingly Douglas Adams' name came up in conversation too.
#6 - senn
someone mentioned there is some "Fusion Experiment" being built in france that is more of a concern, anyone know about it? Hearing rumours it's like a giant H Bomb, but can't confirm..
#7 - 5haz
H-Bomb = Nuclear Fission

Nuclear Fusion isn't quite the same. As far as I understand Fission involves releasing energy by smashing atoms open the debris of which smash into other atoms smashing them open creating more stuff to smash more atoms open resulting in a runaway chain reaction. Fusion involves releasing energy by making atoms fuse together (I think!), as well as involving elements of jazz and rock.
Quote from Luke.S :If it works LFS will become the real world and the real world will become LFS

so in short wel become inmortal and forever crampend inside a car
I imagine that's what a lot of people live like already.
And hell, apparently everyone wants a full home cockpit now, so how would that be different?

And because I can't resist...

Particle physics gives me a Hadron.

Thank you, I'm here all week. I've been here for years.
Quote from senn :someone mentioned there is some "Fusion Experiment" being built in france that is more of a concern, anyone know about it? Hearing rumours it's like a giant H Bomb, but can't confirm..

Fusion reactors are supposed to be safer than the fission reactors we've got now. Because fusion is hard to achieve and extreme conditions are required for it to work, if there's any failure in the reactor the reaction stops almost immediately, so it's like it has its own fail-safe. Also much less fuel is used in a fusion reaction so even if it did escape the reactor it would be way less catastrophic than a failure at a fission reactor. And the fuel involved apparently has a much shorter half-life, so the waste disposal issue is less of an issue.

There is supposed to be a tiny chance of turning the earth into a sun, but y'know, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
Quote from 5haz :H-Bomb = Nuclear Fission

Nuclear Fusion isn't quite the same. As far as I understand Fission involves releasing energy by smashing atoms open the debris of which smash into other atoms smashing them open creating more stuff to smash more atoms open resulting in a runaway chain reaction.

An H-bomb is fusion. The H stands for hydrogen which won't split into much else. Fission uses Uranium and other heavy elements. One of the reasons which Fission is so dirty, as both the fuel and waste is highly radioactive. Fusion is relatively clean as the fuel and waste aren't radioactive, just the steps they go though in between.

Quote :as well as involving elements of jazz and rock.

I think lerts was hired and sabotaged the lot.

He created a big black hole and the particles are sucked into whats know as the singularity.
Wich is the end of a black hole were al existence ends, therefore al the particles were erased from excistence before they even got to colide.

There are also theories that when the parts collide they wiol actualy create a black hole itself.
Quote from Luke.S :If it works LFS will become the real world and the real world will become LFS

God save us from the barriers!:bowdown:
Quote from senn :someone mentioned there is some "Fusion Experiment" being built in france that is more of a concern, anyone know about it? Hearing rumours it's like a giant H Bomb, but can't confirm..

Here is a very interesting video about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAZsPkTkMM

...it's the hottest place in the universe, which is quite impressive.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Here is a very interesting video about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAZsPkTkMM

...it's the hottest place in the universe, which is quite impressive.

Surprisingly good YouTube comment alert:

Quote :come on!!! hurry up with fusion!! i'm already 18, at this rate i won't get to see it in my lifetime!!!!!!!

DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING?!!

Quote from 5haz : Fusion involves releasing energy by making atoms fuse together (I think!)

Kinda does what it says on the tin, doesn't it?
-
(Forbin) DELETED by Forbin
Is that what he said?

"Hydrogen can't be split into much, therefore H-bombs can't be Fission" (paraphrased)
#18 - 5haz
Quote from Crashgate3 :An H-bomb is fusion. The H stands for hydrogen which won't split into much else. Fission uses Uranium and other heavy elements. One of the reasons which Fission is so dirty, as both the fuel and waste is highly radioactive. Fusion is relatively clean as the fuel and waste aren't radioactive, just the steps they go though in between.

I confuse H-Bomb with nuclear bomb, the H-bomb is a variant of nuclear weapon but works a bit differently? (I think!).
Quote from 5haz :I think im confusing H-Bomb with nuclear bomb, the H-bomb is a variant of nuclear weapon but works a bit differently? (I think!).

There are fusion and fission bombs. I think both fall under the umbrella term "nuclear weapon." H-bomb is just another term for fusion bomb for people less scientifically-minded.
#20 - 5haz
Only thing with fusion reactors is don't they take ridiculous amounts of electricity just to keep running, which kind of takes away the point?
Quote from JO53PHS :Kinda does what it says on the tin, doesn't it?

Somebody should mock up a bean tin that reads:

FUSION

(may contain traces of Higgs Boson)

#23 - 5haz
Quote from Bob Smith :Somebody should mock up a bean tin that reads:

FUSION

(may contain traces of Higgs Boson)

With Caution, hot! label. :doh:
Quote from 5haz :Only thing with fusion reactors is don't they take ridiculous amounts of electricity just to keep running, which kind of takes away the point?

When up and running, energy output will be far greater than what is required to keep reactor running.

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG