The online racing simulator
All the people saying here that the reviews look "fishy" are just a bunch of scared GT fanboys who know that their beloved Gran Turismo is getting a good run for its money. Even though its on a completely different console - which is quite a thing to do for a game.....

So just get over it. Accept the fact that other games can be awesome too.

Jeez...
Quote from Dajmin :I can't remember what the last starter car is. Jazz, Fiesta and..?
Course I'll also have my M3 E92 as well as the R8 V10, but I guess they don't count

And one review saying something makes it opinion, but once they all say the same thing you have to start believing there's something in it

I believe the other starter cars are a Scion TC and a Chevrolet Areo (basically a rebadged daewoo).

As for me, it's gonna have to be the Fiesta as i'm a ford man.
Quote from DevilDare :All the people saying here that the reviews look "fishy" are just a bunch of scared GT fanboys who know that their beloved Gran Turismo is getting a good run for its money. Even though its on a completely different console - which is quite a thing to do for a game.....

So just get over it. Accept the fact that other games can be awesome too.

Jeez...

Aaargh, if you understood Serbian, i would link you to one of the threads where i bash GT5 to no end I don't know why are you all here so upset about that, it's not like i write some complete and false nonsense It's redicolously hyped game so it's fun to post about it.. Their constant "this is the best sim engine in the world", and "the ONLY true sim racing game this gen".. and other nonsense, is hilarious..
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I believe the other starter cars are a Scion TC and a Chevrolet Areo (basically a rebadged daewoo).

The Scion, that's the one I couldn't remember. Totally forgot about the Chevy too.

Maybe I'll go for the Scion then, just to be different. It looks like a good shape for skinning too.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
The guys over SimRacingTonight seems to be pretty liberal with the scores and criticism after they got bashed over youtube for rating GRID's physics at 50......I mean they are catering both "hardcore" sim racers and casual racing game fans and somehow I don't think they have got their stance right.

I'll be much happier if they just say they are from the sim racing background and will rate racing games differently from other main stream game reviewers, afterall a review only have value if it has it's own unique point of view.

(And they really have to get Niel's supra in their top sim cars)
Quote from Dajmin :The Scion, that's the one I couldn't remember. Totally forgot about the Chevy too.

Maybe I'll go for the Scion then, just to be different. It looks like a good shape for skinning too.

You also get a choice of the Nissan Versa SL and the Citroen C4 VTS
Il start with a chevy it just looks cool
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Il start with a chevy it just looks cool

The Aveo?! You can't be serious! It's the most miserable little car I've ever seen. I'm also pretty sure that it's one of the top 5 slowest cars in the US right now.... 0-60 in like 12 seconds I think. That's Beetle slow!

I'm having it just for the lulz.
Quote from obsolum :I have to agree that that review seems a bit too "generous". Of course, some things depend on how you interpret them. Like "Most realistic clutch in a game". Surely they mean a console game? In which case they should have explicitly said it. "Ultra sim everything"? Again, surely they're just talking about console games? Graphics 9.5/10? That seems a bit much as well. I don't find that review to be representative in any way. Then again, in the end a review is just one (or several) person's opinion of a game and as such is usually not 100% objective

I have to agree with you. I'm completely looking forward to this sim, but it seems like they really glossed over any potential pitfalls of the game. I was looking forward to SRT's review because I thought they would be more "hard core" and point out it's flaws (compared to titles like LFS and iRacing that us hard core simmers are used to). Instead, it seemed like a lot of fluff. You can't destroy the cars, but the physics got an almost perfect rating? You can't stall the car, but get "most realistic clutch in a game"? "Ultra-sim everything" when you can't even manage fuel?

Perhaps Sean and Darrin were just smitten by the good looks and massive amount of cars, but their review does seem over the top to me.
Just a quick comment about game reviews in general.. I say, get rid of the scores altogether. Points and scores give the impression of being objective and time independent, which a review can never be. It would be much better if they just ran it through the categories (like they do today) and then summarize with a list of strong and weak points as they see it and compared to what else is out there. In three years, I'm sure there will be sims out there which blow Forza3 out of the water in just about every category, and the 89 score will look totally pointless and the test will be pretty much irrelevant.

Just my $4 or €9 or however you wanna put it.

[/derail]
Quote from Boris Lozac :Oh ffs i won't say a thing anymore.. Cut your fingers everyone so you can skip the work/school for the launch

they both have had a little bit of track experience of some sort, and i think at least one of em has a project car.

My 911 Turbo S wheel just came, now I just need forza 3.
I nice preview of one of FM3's unqiue community features, the storefront
The more I read about the store front, the more it looks good. Though I wait to see quite how much money anyone will be able to earn from it. I know from FM2 I could easily sell fully painted cars for ~500K so hoping this will be the same with some more added for decal selling. I wonder though how long it will take for the market place to get flooded with designs on all the starter cars lol.

All these reviews though, none really touch on the tuning side of FM3. Lots of comments have been made about how you can do it wrong but I haven’t seen anything on what is actually available to do.
I hear you. Motor City Online (when it came out, they later patched it) had a brilliant upgrading/tuning system where you had to buy parts without knowing exactly what effect they'd have. You knew more or less what you'd get (bigger wheels improved acceleration, while smaller ones gave you more speed) but it wasn't until you fixed it and got the dyno readings that your upgrades really took shape - and there was tons of room to go wrong. Parts wore out too, so you were forced to buy new bits semi-regularly. Great stuff.
Later on they patched it so it gave you a preview of the new dyno reading, and I think that spoiled the process a little. I guess it made it more casual-friendly, right enough.

It'd be nice to hear how you can screw up your car here. That said, if all they mean is upgrading your turbo without also sticking on a bigger intercooler won't have much effect, that'll be disappointing.

In terms of the Storefront, it'll be good for the more casual designer. Folks like me, who don't want to spend weeks on a single skin, placing thousands of layers (did they not say a couple of thousand layers per section this time?) to make a pixel-perfect recreation of their favourite celeb will be able to share more simple designs. I could make a Martini logo which someone else then uses to recreate some of the classic paint jobs from the rallies of yesteryear. They spend less time on the fiddly parts, I don't need to make the full thing - everyone wins!
Quote from Greboth :The more I read about the store front, the more it looks good. Though I wait to see quite how much money anyone will be able to earn from it. I know from FM2 I could easily sell fully painted cars for ~500K so hoping this will be the same with some more added for decal selling. I wonder though how long it will take for the market place to get flooded with designs on all the starter cars lol.

Apparently, decals are currently going for around 1000 creds, but obviously the online community just contains VIP's and reviews ATM.
Quote from danowat :Apparently, decals are currently going for around 1000 creds, but obviously the online community just contains VIP's and reviews ATM.

Will be interesting to see how much things work out for in the end. Though just thinking, if i were to buy a logo I wonder if I could then sell it on for less but sell more. Shall find it all out in the end though.

I have some interesting designs for logo's and full paint schemes for the starter cars already so will try some painting straight off for some extra creds

Why does there have to be a 10 day wait
Quote from Greboth :Will be interesting to see how much things work out for in the end. Though just thinking, if i were to buy a logo I wonder if I could then sell it on for less but sell more. Shall find it all out in the end though.

You can't sell things on, period.
Quote from Greboth : Though just thinking, if i were to buy a logo I wonder if I could then sell it on for less but sell more.

I expect there'll be an option to prevent reselling, like the editing option in FM2.

I just hope there's the option to find the maker of a skin if you see a cool one in a race. Would be a shame if you saw one you liked and couldn't find out who made it.
Quote from danowat :You can't sell things on, period.

Ah ok, never saw that mentioned anywhere but thats alright then.
I just got an email from GAME telling me they'd dropped the price of my pre-order to £34.99. It's getting better all the time! The only way they could improve it further would be if they sent it out to me today
Quote from Dajmin :I just got an email from GAME telling me they'd dropped the price of my pre-order to £34.99. It's getting better all the time! The only way they could improve it further would be if they sent it out to me today

I'm going to Exeter in a little while so maybe it won't be as much as what it says on the website then. Did you order the normal copy or the Limited Edition?

Was meant to get it preordered last week but had a few problems.
Just the normal one. I wanted the LCE but couldn't justify the extra money for stuff I'll never use
I'll see what the little emo kids say in the shop.

Gotta also ask them about alternate delivery as apparently, Royal Snail are going on strike again within this month.
I didn't realise they'd stopped striking. I thought it was ongoing, since my work deliveries are still getting pissed about. However, I reckon that's a topic for another thread
Back to Forza. Yay for cheapness!
Yup, had to change my order to courier delivery as the strike is due to start on 22nd Oct

Forza Motorsports 3
(3388 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG