The online racing simulator
Quote from jasonmatthews :I find these posts regarding the price of LFS frankly ridiculous. Any other game that you try to buy on the shelves today will cost around £44.

The fact that Scawen (wrongly IMO), has branded LFS an alpha product and decided not to distribute LFS in the high street has compounded the issue. His latest post seems to agree that the alpha tag is no longer applicable.

From my personal point of view, I have never in my whole life experienced anything that even comes close to LFS in terms of value. £24 for 5 years of constant entertainment. I spend double that every month on Sky TV, which thanks to LFS, I never get to watch

Asking another £12, or whatever they ask, from users who have been playing the game since 2002 is absolutely nothing. We have all seen the alternative with iRacing, which thank god they have not decided to do. If, god forbid, then went down that route, I would have spent £100's in the last few years. Also, if LFS did go the subscription route, I would leave instantly. But what I would happily pay extra for is exactly what the community has been asking for, real tracks, with laser scanned quality (and hopefully bumps), and more content.

May I talk hypothetically for a minute..

Scawen wants to charge £24 for S3, on top of S2. So, LFS S3, for a new user, costs £46 (normal retail price for a game these days). For us it is £24.

For this money, they will spend the money on marketing and distributing LFS in shops, putting in 10 Real tracks, putting in 5 more cars in, surround sound, dx9/10 quality graphics, better physics, sanctioned races/servers.

So, if they did this, they could afford to hire some graphics guru's, get some tracks laser scanned, and increase the user base. With some sanctioned servers/leagues/comps aswell LFS could easily (IMO) take over iRacing. iRacing get's away with charging >£10 per month, plus content cost, for a product that is vastly inferior to what LFS "could" be, with a modest amount of investment.

Hypothetical over

LFS already has a huge physics update coming, a new car and the prospect of S3 on the horizon. This is not before time IMHO, but it will be free.

When S3 does come out, I hope it will be a big change, but I do fear that it won't. I hope to god that S3 doesn't cater for the pentium 3/4's that LFS caters for atm. It will be 2010/2011, and to expect the majority (probs 90+%) of the userbase to have to put up with shite DX8 graphics and 2 channel sound to please the tiny minority, in spite of the huge progress computers have made in the last 10 years since lfs was first released, would be a massive shame

/rant over

nice rant..... totally agree on the value. I just hope that with Rockingham coming that all the other current tracks are updated too to reflect tarmac with bumps. If not, Rockingham will make the other's feel even smoother than they currently feel.....

S3 for £12 will be great
one of the first things that impressed me about lfs was the way the pricing was structured, in that you could go from s1 to s2 for the same as goign straight to s2, so many game devepoers would have made it more expencive to do the stages and this displayed an attitude to game development and marketing that is so very different to everything else but also so refreshing to see. another £12 to go to s3 would be a huge bargin, another £24 would still be a good deal, and i would pay without hesitation, the only reason people are seeing it as expencive is because lf is so god damn cheap for what you actually get not just in the game but in the way the whole community and game developent is run.
ya the lfs community is the biggest of all other sim comm..
and the game is the best simulator on the best pricing
(my grandma can drive on nfs with police after it with my old dfp but in lfs she can't get out of the pits )
Quote from geeman1 :The problem is that S3 is not available for pre-order yet

what is the use of pre-ordering a download? Its not like there are only 1000 downloads available. It comes out everybody buys it in a couple of days / weeks downloads it in the same period no problem right?
Quote from bjoerk :what is the use of pre-ordering a download? Its not like there are only 1000 downloads available. It comes out everybody buys it in a couple of days / weeks downloads it in the same period no problem right?

probably so u can pay the second it gets released
and u dont have to wait 2-3 days for the payment to arrive
although S3 has been confirmed thay havent said when its coming so it could be 5 years for all we know!! its just another stupid waiting game like the scirroco. ive given up on the scirroco until i know when its gonna be released. but thats just me.
Quote from bjoerk :what is the use of pre-ordering a download? Its not like there are only 1000 downloads available. It comes out everybody buys it in a couple of days / weeks downloads it in the same period no problem right?

No reason really. I just know for sure I am buying S3 so might as get it out of the way soon as possible. Also it makes it seem that the patch is closer to release in my mind.
just hurry the **** up !

2010/2011 ? **** that
I don't like the idea of paying for every content update. That would be like i-racing... a rip off. Sticking with the original plan of paying for S1, S2 or S3 content is best. Hope S3 comes in time for Christmas! Whether I buy it or not is balanced by whether or not they change the payment system, what the new car is and if I like the new tires. Just my 2 cents.
Quote from jrs_4500 :I don't like the idea of paying for every content update. That would be like i-racing... a rip off. Sticking with the original plan of paying for S1, S2 or S3 content is best. Hope S3 comes in time for Christmas! Whether I buy it or not is balanced by whether or not they change the payment system, what the new car is and if I like the new tires. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for sounding like an ass, but really, you don't get it do you?
S3 will have more than just the one car and track, it will be the next (after S2) development "project". Meaning that most likely new cars, tracks, features + tweaks will come to those that has payed for S3.

And to compared, even if it's 36 bucks, most games costs much more than that, so how people even can compe S3 with Iracing is beyound me.
I'm very excited about the new content and I can't wait for the Scirocco and the new S3 content.

I think it's a good idea to release S3 content, such as Rockingham. I'll purchase S3 as soon as it's available.
Quote from The Very End :S3 will have more than just the one car and track, it will be the next (after S2) development "project".

Really?

While that statement may turn out to be true, at this moment in time it is utter speculation. Remember Scawen said....

Quote from Scawen :Correct, the S3 license will not be sold on the promise of things to come. Although we imagine we will add additional content in future, and hope for an improved balance between the content available for different licenses eventually, there will be absolutely no guarantee of that. New content may come very slowly or not at all - anything could happen. Anyone who upgrades to S3 must do so only if they think it is worth it for the new track and the new car.

I think that's more to stop people claiming he's promised anything, rather than stating there is a genuine chance of it not happening. You know what the forum-morons are like "I want this..., you promised that..., we deserve the other..."

Anyway, uploading more Rockingham videos (and some from Croft at the weekend), and then I'll send Eric an email. If he chooses to watch them is up to him. I'm sure he's got most of the visuals sorted anyway.
Quote from HVS5b :Really?

While that statement may turn out to be true, at this moment in time it is utter speculation. Remember Scawen said....

Tristan above explains better than I do, but it's to save their own ass so people like me and other won't come back year after year moaning about things we did not get.

I am pretty sure S3 will have more than just one more track, but S3 is not out yet so we have to wait and see when it's out

GOD DAMNIT WHERE IS MY RALLYPACK!?
This simolator worth last penny and having to mean what was in its implementation and of course what is now ... and what you would after so many years, this only depends on us how we pay for the pleasure and ... of course i hope for good competitors with lower cost when there is competition and greater development ...i just pay it for s3
When I was told about LFS over 4 years ago, it was the rally pack that eventually lured me into the game, knowing that it would be coming soon was a good enough reason for me to buy the game....
I take my eye off the IRC Room and the forums for a month to concentrate on music and when I come back what do I find

Sweeeeeeeeet .. Lets hope I can get a G25 or a new wheel by the time of release
Quote from J.Gent :I take my eye off the IRC Room and the forums for a month to concentrate on music and when I come back what do I find

Sweeeeeeeeet .. Lets hope I can get a G25 or a new wheel by the time of release

Relax... G25 will be ancient before its released
To be honest I do not think the Devs paid for the track to be laser scanned the info was probably handed over to them by Rockingham Management - Remember Rockingham is a new purpose built track, so I believe this is a one off deal which we will have to be grateful for

The track record shows that most new content is the result of individual deals over time if you look at all the all the real life cars and now Rockingham, I can't recollect the Dev's having to pay anything for these although I may be wrong, what I have realised over time is LFS is more of a hobby for the Devs and Money is not a factor in the equation, I'm just enjoying the ride

If the Dev's do make some money at the end of the day good on them they deserve a hell of a lot more
Quote from Calvinaquino :Agree. But you forgot to take in account that, we who bought LFS at that time, paid BRL 100,00 for an S2 license. now we are going to pay like... BRL 36,00 for the upgrade =D I'm in NO WAY complaining, just pointing it out. At this price, LFS is still worth it.

100? I paid around R$ 120,00 in S2's release day.
OMG 34 pages of complaining, guessing and more of that. Its a fact that you have played the cheapiest game around youll ever bought. 24 pounds for a game that got updated with no charge. Surely it can improve massivly but that would mean it wont be free anymore. ALthough I lost interest lately in LFS i still would buy instantly S3. Without even thinking even if S3 turns out crap. Its still stays a bargain to play a game and for the amount of money spend. The devs provided me with some really good fun for only 24 pounds for several years. They deserve more in mine point of view.

People do spend 40 or 50 pounds on a game for a console but have a hard time paying for S3 ???. To top that even you only play it until finished and buy a new game for 50 pounds or a upgrade for it. Also I havent seen a forum were people argu about prices for console games they pay. They swallow it whitout a hazzle, pay it with a smile and play the game for a while after it ends up on a shell somewhere. But here I see a lot of people arguing about a price which in fact isnt even released yet. People sit back, relax and wait what will come. Discussing things we dont know if they will come or what they costs here is very pointless.
Niels: You've hit the nail on the head

+1

I think this thread needs to be closed, at least until we get more information as all most of us are doing is bitching over trivialities and speculation.

Rockingham coming to LFS
(1238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG