The online racing simulator
asus nvidia GTX 260 question HELP
(16 posts, started )
I'm planning to upgrade my video card to an GTX 260 but im having trouble with the PSU i should buy along with it or if i should buy one at all. My current PSU is 430W with no PCI-e power connectors. and this PSU case with my case from Newegg.com

I used the psu calculator it said i only need 293W of power at 100% load. now im confused cause Nvidia's website say 450W is recommended for this card. What should I do? HELP!

My computer:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.8 GHz Wolfdale processor
ECS G31T-M7 G31 motherboard
OCZ SLI 4GB DDR2 ram
WD Blue caviar 320GB hard drive
Samsung DVD/Cd-RW

soon to be ASUS Nvidia GTX 260
That calculator seems fairly accurate, but the problem is that there's so many PSU's for sale that cannot deliver what they promise.
Especially Newegg seems to be littered with those clone brand units that I wouldn't put even on secondary comp, let alone on gaming rig with powerful graphics card.
Just make sure that you'll get a good name branded PSU.

My HD4870, my card can perform 100% and only in 500w. 550w was needed for it. But the other thing is that nvidia cards use more power (atleast the latest GTX series cards).
Get something like a Corsair VX 550W
Im currently using the 430W PSU and I'm on a budget im really hoping not to spend too much. i have a couple of these 12v Molex to 12V 6Pin Adapters do you think these would be ok to use with a 430w PSU and the GTX 260?
What make is your current PSU?
For a new one I'd recommend Corsair, Thermaltake, Chieftec, anything with CWT internals really
Quote from morpha :What make is your current PSU?
For a new one I'd recommend Corsair, Thermaltake, Chieftec, anything with CWT internals really

i just have some PSU that came with my case. Here
Quote from pinoykid13 :i just have some PSU that came with my case. Here

uh oh.. I'd buy a new PSU if I were you. The corsair 450vx would get my recommendation if you can find one used: it powered my old rig with a gtx 260 core 216, phenom II 720, 2 hard drives, etc. all overclocked, absolutely fine.
I was running my system finely on chinese noname 300W PSU without any problems, it died only when I tried to OC my CPU. So I don't think you will have any problems with brand (e.g. OCZ, Corsair) 400-450W PSU.
gosh darnit, shoot i was hoping to spend less than $200USD but know i guess i have to...im going with corsair. thx 4 the input
Of course you could just keep the current one till it dies, if it dies. It's very unlikely to take other components with it when it does
Quote from morpha :Of course you could just keep the current one till it dies, if it dies. It's very unlikely to take other components with it when it does

That's entirely up to which components break first and if overload/overheat protection kicks in before any damage is done.
Do as i, get a Cooler Master Real Power M520.. (yeah got it from my sig :P)

It works really good for me with my XFX GTX260..
Well i got news for you guys today I went to Fry's Electronics and there was a 'special' thing goin on and i bought a Antec Basiq (yes spelled with a Q) 550W. it has all the cords I need:

1. IT'S MODULAR!!!!
2. MARKED DOWN FROM $69.99USD TO $29.99!!!!!

the bad:

1. one pci-e cord...but i have an adapter so im good.

i went to the fry's electronics in Oxnard, CA its a one day deal till tomorrow 10/1/09...flippin awesome. now i need the video card and now i have to wait for my copy of windows 7 (which i got for the college/university price) (^_^)
Quote from pinoykid13 :Well i got news for you guys today I went to Fry's Electronics and there was a 'special' thing goin on and i bought a Antec Basiq (yes spelled with a Q) 550W. it has all the cords I need:

1. IT'S MODULAR!!!!
2. MARKED DOWN FROM $69.99USD TO $29.99!!!!!

the bad:

1. one pci-e cord...but i have an adapter so im good.

i went to the fry's electronics in Oxnard, CA its a one day deal till tomorrow 10/1/09...flippin awesome. now i need the video card and now i have to wait for my copy of windows 7 (which i got for the college/university price) (^_^)

just dont overload one line with the adapter-thingie.. most psu-makers dont recommend those
Quote from Feffe85 :just dont overload one line with the adapter-thingie.. most psu-makers dont recommend those

actually there is two...i didn't open it till 2 hours after this the previous post.

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG