The online racing simulator
Achievments
(108 posts, started )
Quote from Dajmin :
But others are great tracks that nobody ever uses. There must be a reason for it.

This pattern in other games and reality is known as "path of least resistance".
Are the most popular tracks the easiest though?

I'm not counting the oval in that - it has it's own reasons for being popular. Longer tracks (FE Gold, AS GP/GT) don't work for pick-up races, irrelevant of difficulty.

Are the popular choices the easiest tracks, or do we find them the easiest because they're used so often? Possible catch-22 there.
AS North Reversed was used for a while, and I reckon that's a nightmare track to learn. Is that why nobody seems to use it now?

Hmm, this is getting a little off-topic now. Anyway, I still don't think achievements would help the situation in a sustainable way, it'd only encourage people until they had met the crteria and then it'd go back to the way it always has been.

I still reckon the devs should ban BL1, AS3 and KY1 for a week to see what people would do
+1 for achievments

we should have one for engine blow
Quote from gxgung :+1 for achievments

we should have one for engine blow

...Achievement you can never achieve? That sounds useful enough...
Quote from MAGGOT :I really don't see the point. What does getting achievements give you?

They give you something to reach for, and the good feeling of having achieved something after you got them.
Quote from Stefani24 :They give you something to reach for, and the good feeling of having achieved something after you got them.

And winning a race without big popup saying that it was your first race you won don't give you anything? It isn't something to reach for?

, <- I know what to do.
Quote from Gekkibi :And winning a race without big popup saying that it was your first race you won don't give you anything? It isn't something to reach for?

, <- I know what to do.

Well it does...but still.
I'm not saying we desperately need Achievements, but they would be a nice Addition. (BUT HELL, PLEASE NO GAMERSCORE....the achievements should be for yourself to have something to play for, not to show off)
Quote from Stefani24 :Well it does...but still.
I'm not saying we desperately need Achievements, but they would be a nice Addition. (BUT HELL, PLEASE NO GAMERSCORE....the achievements should be for yourself to have something to play for, not to show off)

...But we have lfsworld already...
Quote from Gekkibi :...But we have lfsworld already...

I don't quite get your point there, sorry.
Quote from Stefani24 :I don't quite get your point there, sorry.

You can monitor your mileages, lap times, winnings etc... Wasn't these what achievements are all about?
He means some peculiar achievement you likely wouldn't have thought of unless it were pointed out.. Like...
#37 - Woz
Quote from Gekkibi :You can monitor your mileages, lap times, winnings etc... Wasn't these what achievements are all about?

Look, we know you just don't get the idea. Have you ever played a game that has them?
"Around the World - You have driven 24901.5 miles!"
Awesome, now I am a true man. Because anyone who was really that interested couldn't open up LFSW to check.

"My Aston Hurts - You have completed 500 laps of AS5"
Ditto

"Lift THEN shift - You have overheated your clutch to the point of having no acceleration 25 times!"
Well done, something to be proud of.

I stand by my previous comments. Achievements are a pop culture fad. They have no value unless they count towards something and it would mean LFSW needed to track way too much stuff.
You can 'blow' it, kinda.
Damage it to the point it cannot pull the car any longer
Quote from Woz :Look, we know you just don't get the idea. Have you ever played a game that has them?

What achievements would you suggest for LFS?
Leave the artificial rewards systems to the consoles, where the average player has the attention span of a goldfish and requires constant cheap encouragement to keep playing.

Racing is about one thing: winning. It's simple, it's pure, and it's one hell of reward in itself when it happens. If you need something more than that, you're not really interested in racing.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I did propose achievements a while back and I still like the idea.

While it such a system isn't neccessarily for everyone, those who don't like it can simply ignore it as it's only merits are bragging rights, but for those who like it, it will be a strong incentive to race more.

Also, it can be used to generate interest in otherwise unused content.

Totally agree
#43 - Woz
Quote from Breizh :What achievements would you suggest for LFS?

As said before this has come up many times and there are many examples throughout the forum including a few in THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

Simple one is one achievement for each car where you have to beat the baseline time (Not WR but still fast) for each track. Has the simple knockon effect of making people want to race different combos.

Another, win a race with more than x cars where you start at back of the grid.

Another might be to complete a race after an off where car badly damaged. This one could make people want to limp to pits and then try and complete the race instead of bailing then calling for restart or looking for another server.

A few for race length. Say 4 different ones 5, 10, 20 and 50 lap race.

Another might be complete a 10 lap race with X starting race where you make no contact with people.

The list of ideas is endless but if chosen right will stop the limited combo sets that always run, encourage longer races and better racing.

People say "oooooo thats so arcade" but when chosen right archievements are just NOT arcade in the slightest.

Is that enough to show you the benefits?
Licences in GT series are kinda addicting achievement.
Getting all Gold was hard as hell and exciting at the same time.
Quote from Forbin :

That's a cool fish picture, but check out this:

Owned.
Attached images
17613614.jpg
Quote from Forbin :Leave the artificial rewards systems to the consoles, where the average player has the attention span of a goldfish and requires constant cheap encouragement to keep playing.

Well here we go again.
We have a console fanboyz.
A PC fanboyz.
And just players.
Maybe some day you use your brain instead listen to all that nonsense around the web which platform is better for gaming...
Also I don't know what makes you think that this is the only reason to play.
To me its something that encourage you to do something more than just playing/racing.

In that place I would like give answer to Breizh about why do i think that variety is counts.
Also sorry Breizh I was writing Huge ass response to you with points I agree or disagree with you, but then my mozilla just crashed without a warning leaving me with tears in my eyes and in state of a major FUUUUUUUUUUU...
So I just answer to one point to show you that variety is counts.
Quote from Breizh :Don't take my word for it though.. Countless others agree in the flight sim or racing community. Look at GPL, World of warcraft, etc.

Well breizh I dont play MMO because I dont have time.
But whether you play "Lock on" IL-2 or WoW you never just fly, or fight.
Flying, fighting, driving is a mean to do something.
Just driving or just fighting, flying would be a brainless entertainment without something behind it.
Even Chopin said that the most disgusting thing is music created just for entertainment without anything behind it .

So for example you don't play flight sim just to flight, you always have something to do like drop bombs on enemy airfield, convoy ailed cars to base, destroy the enemy ships.
If you play online your mates play as a aliants and someone else play for axis but you still doing something, dogfights bore ppl very fast.
You newer play to just flight cuz it would be boring.

When it comes to World of warcraft you don't just wander trough this island or what ever it is and fight.
You do some quests, find a bunch of ppl to do this quests, looking for treasures and much more that only WoW players know what more in that game so its not get boring
And now imagine you just have sword or axe and go kill some noob, in optimistic version you have level up and you go kill another noob or get killed, then respawn and go kill another noob.
You have to agree with me that vision of WoW where you don't have even quests and the only ting you do its fighting its not very atractive as a MMO and it wouldn't last long.

The same goes for racing games.
LFS its a good game with a potential but its kinda boring with a few tracks and a few cars.
Consider the fact that from tracks only Fern bay and south city are somehow interesting the rest is just green.
But still south city looks like a deserted city without signs that there ppl living, just some buildings standing.
Its lack of climate
(And by the climate I mean, well chosen colours, something like screens with adds and billboards or anything that give you the feeling that this city its not deserted.)
but still the way its done show that LFS have potential to be a nice visually racing game.
But for now there is only a few tracks and a few cars it would be good if there would be something more, even achievements.
Quote from Forbin :
Racing is about one thing: winning. It's simple, it's pure, and it's one hell of reward in itself when it happens.

Well to bad I am a total noob i have no time practising and I lose most of the time.
Quote from Forbin :
If you need something more than that, you're not really interested in racing.

Wanna tell me what I am interested in and in what I am not interested?

Quote from Forbin :Pics of fish and bird

Forbin what are you doing?
You think its imageshake or something?
If your response have any essential value then plz Show me...
I would like to hear it...
Quote from Chupacabras84 :

Forbin what are you doing?
You think its imageshake or something?
If your response have any essential value then plz Show me...
I would like to hear it...

The bird was me thank you very much, and the point is that the original purpose of this thread is a bad idea and attention should be taken away from it.
Quote from pik_d :The bird was me thank you very much, and the point is that the original purpose of this thread is a bad idea and attention should be taken away from it.

Tank you forbin's spokesman
Since you are his spokesman tell him that "I would like him to give a reasonable argument next time, instead of just some images."
I mean its discussion after all and not icanhascheezburger.com.
Also I would like him to acknowledge there is ppl in the community who like this idea and it would be nice if next time he would explain why not or at least how is it going to affect him as a player.
Because I understand if you don't like achievements no one going to force you to do them but why decide for the players who would like to have achievements.

Also the main point of this thread is not that someone give the idea and those who disagree with him try to bury this thread or take attention somewhere else.
The main point of threads like this is discussion, images are nice but they lack of substantive value.
Hey man I only spoke up because you gave Forbin credit for my picture too.

Achievments
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG