The online racing simulator
Speakers better than Bose?
(96 posts, started )
Yes, that makes sense i guess!
Yes appologies for the confusion. By multi-channel I did in fact mean Surround Sound amps.

Nothing wrong with surround sound amps, but as with everything you get what you pay for, (to an extent), and obviously an amp with 6 channels costing the same as a standard stereo amp is just never going to be as well built or specified. All the things that make an amp good, (ie the topology, output devices, input stages and power supply), cost more when better quality parts are used. Especially the power supply, which actually plays a huge part in the sound quality of an amp.

By the way, power output in Watts is irrelevant to sound quality in amps. It's an amps current capability, (especially in to low impedance loads), that's important. Current capability is directly related to the amps ability to control the speakers connected to it.
The term amps is confusing in your post, gezmoor. I think we need to start clafiying between amplifiers (big metal box with knobs on) and amperes (measure of your much valued current). Or maybe it's only me that's getting confused.
Quote from Bob Smith :The term amps is confusing in your post, gezmoor. I think we need to start clafiying between amplifiers (big metal box with knobs on) and amperes (measure of your much valued current). Or maybe it's only me that's getting confused.

I've tried several times now to edit it - just keep getting a database error.

Anyway to address your point, I was only using one meaning of the word ie amp(s) = amplifier(s).

Sorry for the confusion.
Rightio flo here we go:

Ive taken some pictures of the stickers on the back of the speaker and amp. Speaker model is S-Z93 and I searched them on google and found a video with them in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8VltLZ_OQ

On my ones they are cracked a bit, and they seem to be bleeding (if thats what you call it):

And heres the amp thingy:

It says 'Deck Amplifier' on there, but whether that means anything or not I don't know...

It has Phono, DAT/Video outputs and inputs on it as well.

Would I be able to use this if I got a certain cable/lead maybe?

Thanks!
A shame the speakers are in poor condition (at least visually).
Quote from Alex_Ward :It says 'Deck Amplifier' on there, but whether that means anything or not I don't know...

That's just text wrap from the line about, read as "stereo, double cassette deck, amplifier"
Quote from Alex_Ward :It has Phono, DAT/Video outputs and inputs on it as well.

Would I be able to use this if I got a certain cable/lead maybe?

Almost certainly, assuming your sound card has a 3.5mm output (most cards do), and assuming the amp takes RCA input, then you just need a 3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable, such as this one. Cheap and nasty equivalents also available at your local Maplins.
Yeah it is a shame, but they still sound good. Just realised when I turn them up they can get quite bassy xD

Is Dat/video input the same, as I cant see anything about RCA on the back...
Ah all I need is the rear speakers :P

The turntable is around here somewhere xD
Quote from Alex_Ward :Is Dat/video input the same, as I cant see anything about RCA on the back...

Take a photo of the rear panel that clearly shows all the inputs and outputs, and I'll be able to tell for what you've got and what you'll need.
That midrange unit (the middle sized one) is shot. Not going to be reproducing anything worthwhile from that unit.

The dent in the middle of the Bass unit isn't relevant. It's just a dust cap and plays very little part in the overall sound of the speaker, (affects off axis response somewhat towards the upper part of the drive units band though).

Ahh.. cone tweeters, I remember them well.

Not surprised those speakers sound bassy. Cone tweeters have practically no extension, the mid range is going to be sucked out completely on the one speaker with the damaged drive unit. So pretty much most of the output is going to be from the bass unit.

If you turn them up enough that midrange unit is going to fall apart completely.
Quote from Bob Smith :....Cheap and nasty equivalents also available at your local Maplins.

With respect to the OP, cheap and nasty Maplins varieties are all that are required for a system like that. Gold plated plugs are going to be a waste of money. IMHO of course.

This is more than good enough for the sytem in question.
Quote from Bob Smith :Take a photo of the rear panel that clearly shows all the inputs and outputs, and I'll be able to tell for what you've got and what you'll need.

Ok thanks Ill take a picture tomorrow

Quote from gezmoor :That midrange unit (the middle sized one) is shot. Not going to be reproducing anything worthwhile from that unit.

The dent in the middle of the Bass unit isn't relevant. It's just a dust cap and plays very little part in the overall sound of the speaker, (affects off axis response somewhat towards the upper part of the drive units band though).

Ahh.. cone tweeters, I remember them well.

Not surprised those speakers sound bassy. Cone tweeters have practically no extension, the mid range is going to be sucked out completely on the one speaker with the damaged drive unit. So pretty much most of the output is going to be from the bass unit.

If you turn them up enough that midrange unit is going to fall apart completely.

I wont be turning them up too loud anyway really, and even if they do fall apart atleast Ive only spent a small amount on a cable
#89 - Woz
Quote from Bose321 :I suppose my opinion doesn't count? lol.

I have the z5500 and 3 2 1 from Bose.
The Bose is better in everything except the subwoofer is a bit less. Most speakers I've heard are louder, and blah blah. But my Bose sounds more warm, crisper and better, but yeah, They're kinda pricey for most of the people here.
But I suggest buying some cheap thing.

Bose are far from the best when you move into true Hi-Fi systems

I got rid of 10,000 UKP worth of Hi-Fi setup when I left UK but I am sure the Linn Sondek + Lingo + Aro + Troika, Naim 52 + 180 and Ruark speakers I had would have changed your mind there
Here we go, please say I have the right ones :P

Quote from Alex_Ward :Here we go, please say I have the right ones :P

The phono input is used for a turntable.

Not sure about the DAT/Video inputs, those are probably just regular sound inputs and should work with anything. I might be wrong tho...

The CD input is a normal sound input for sure. You'll be able to use that for anything (CD player, DVD player, Radio, Computer, Ipod, Xbox, whatever).

So yes, appart from the damaged speakers, you're good to go!
Yippee, so I just buy one of those RCA cables and its all ready? I might as well get the one Bob showed me, dont want to get a cheap one :P

Thanks guys!
Quote from Alex_Ward :Yippee, so I just buy one of those RCA cables and its all ready? I might as well get the one Bob showed me, dont want to get a cheap one :P

Thanks guys!

The phono plugs on the amplifier aren't gold plated, you'd be wasting money on any cable with gold plated connectors. Plus the audio quality improvements of the cable Bob linked to are going to be wasted on the system you intend to use them on.

If you were looking at standard phono cables I would say go ahead and buy the better ones as they can always be used should you get better equipment in the future. Given the cable you need is only ever going to be used in low grade equipment, (no decent equipment will ever use a 3.5mm jack), I seriously wouldn't bother with anything but the most basic of cables.

My recommendation would be to save your money on the cable and bid for that ebay system to get the speakers from it and/or a few meters of decent quality speaker cable, (such as this or this), with the saving.

But that's just my opinion of course.
Ok what Im going to do is go to Maplin and get the cable I need, while keeping an eye on the speakers on ebay. Just incase the cable doesnt work, which would leave me stuck with the speakers from ebay.

Edit: Cant seem to find them on their website =/

Edit: Found one http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=31700 That okay?
Yes, that'll work!
Just been down Maplin and got the lead, it works! Hopefully bidding for the system on ebay so Ill have the better speakers and surround sound ones.

Thanks guys!

Speakers better than Bose?
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG